Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite/best "introduction" to group/song

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I have several little "magical" moments with music that involve the first time I heard a group.
The first would be hearing Metallica The Four Horseman. I can remember how this new band and this new sound just shook everything I knew. I got the same feeling a couple of years later when Ride the Lightning was released and I put in the tape and Fight Fire With Fire started up.

In highschool I bought The Pixies import of Surfa Rosa/Come On Pilgrim and this album completely bllew me away.

Hearing The Mountain Song from Jane's Addiciton I got that same feeling of not beleiving what I was hearing.

Nirvana's Sliver was love at first listening as well.

The newest thing I can think of is probably The Deftones when I heard 7 Words.

Whenever I listen to any of these bring back those euphoric type memories. The reason Cusack is rearranging his albums in autobiographical order in High Fidelity, the true magic of music,.
Old 07-16-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My fondest memory is probably back in 1994 when a local radio station (now gone to ****) did this 'two songs by one-artist' promo, and I heard "The Diamond Sea" (radio edit, obviously) by Sonic Youth. I think it was the only time they ever played SY, but I ran out and bought the Washing Machine tape the next day. It introduced me to one of my top bands and top albums.

Next, sitting on my sister's bedroom floor listening to alternative rock samplers from BMG or Columbia (I can't remember which). I heard Hum this way. It isn't one of my favorite bands, but it opened up some new doors for me that I, unfortunately, didn't really embrace until my junior year of high school.