Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Hypothetical question... is this downloading OK if you OWN the cassette?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-14-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious...

Last edited by benedict; 07-15-03 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-14-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I don't see why not. They have your money already.

Unless of course you bought them at a yard sale.

So maybe that is a good question.
Old 07-14-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes... the originals from the mall
Old 07-14-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've thought about that one, too.

I guess the issues with it are quality and format. I don't know what the quality is for a tape, but since it's less than what's on a CD it may mean that you should download the comperable quality to match the tape. Also, while you could save your CDs to your computer easily, it would be more complicated to save the tape (I assume there is some way to do that but I don't know what it is so I don't know how complicated it is). I'm sure there are other issues that I'm not thinking of...I'm sure the RIAA would rather you bought the CD, but, IMO, buying it (unused) once in any format should be enough to keep them satisfied, so I think it hould be ok for you to download the music if the quality is comperable.
Old 07-15-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if you buy it used, you should still have rights to back up your property so I'm sure you can indeed have the copyrighted material.
Old 07-15-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It has nothing to do with quality... yes, you can do this no matter where you bought it. If the RIAA started pressing quality of sound issues, their entire house of cards would fall on their heads.
Old 07-15-03, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Even if you buy it used, you should still have rights to back up your property so I'm sure you can indeed have the copyrighted material.
Yes, but should you have the right to have a backup in a higher quality format than the original?
Old 07-15-03, 09:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I didn't think it was legal to download even if you owned the CD. In other words, you can make your own backup of your own purchased copy...but you can't download somebody else's backup of their copy.
Old 07-15-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I would think it's legal, or at least moral, to format shift--isn't that how they hyped cassettes and CDR's in the first place? As long as you only *use* one copy, and you own a legitimate version of the release. I wouldn't think it matters how you got the legit version [as long as you didn't steal it], because there certainly is a secondary market for almost every product.
I also don't see a problem with downloading a copy of it to use as your copy. I have some albums that I can't play right now [no record player], but I did dl the mp3 of them so I could listen to them [They're all defunct bands anyway.] Now, whether it is legal for the person from whom you are downloading to have it, is another issue. And of course when downloading, there's really no way to tell if you are a 'legitimate' owner of the work. It's like in some states/countries, it's legal to *possess* certain amounts of certain substances, but it's illegal to *sell* or *buy* them.
Of course, IANAL.
Old 07-15-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Groucho
I didn't think it was legal to download even if you owned the CD. In other words, you can make your own backup of your own purchased copy...but you can't download somebody else's backup of their copy.
I don't think it matters where you get it from (sometimes I download music because I'm too lazy to search for my CD of it), as long as you don't share your backup copy.