Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

After 12 year hiatus.... Pixies Reunite!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

After 12 year hiatus.... Pixies Reunite!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find it amazing that people bemoan the death of the Pixies, but refuse to even give Frank Black's solo career a chance. IMO, the 9 albums he's produced post-Pixies blows away the Pixies stuff.

It'd be one thing if the public/critics listened to his music and thumbed their noses at it - it's mindboggling that no one even considers it.
Old 09-11-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants
I find it amazing that people bemoan the death of the Pixies, but refuse to even give Frank Black's solo career a chance. IMO, the 9 albums he's produced post-Pixies blows away the Pixies stuff.

It'd be one thing if the public/critics listened to his music and thumbed their noses at it - it's mindboggling that no one even considers it.
I have heard most of his solo albums and am usually underwhelmed. Teenager Of The Year is awesome, but other than that one, I can't really get into the stuff. Black Letter Days is OK.
Old 09-11-03, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I have heard most of his solo albums and am usually underwhelmed. Teenager Of The Year is awesome, but other than that one, I can't really get into the stuff. Black Letter Days is OK.
If you like TOTY, you might like Pistolero or the first FB & The Catholics albums. Those two are the most similar to his beginnings.

But Dog in the Sand is a great record!
Old 09-11-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
The Descendents got back together in 1996. That album was great, and they were great on tour too. Of course, they haven't released an album since, but that's the first one that came to my mind.
They're putting out an album on Fat Wreck next year.
Old 09-11-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, unlike some news-orgs (hello, MTV and Pitchfork!) Billboard actually had the good sense to contact 4AD before drooling all over themselves.

A decade after a bitter breakup, seminal alternative rock act the Pixies may reunite next year. At deadline, rumors of a tour and a potential new studio album remain unconfirmed. The group's manager tells Billboard.com, "I have received an offer for the Pixies to perform in April. That said, over the past 10 years, I have received dozens of offers for the Pixies." A spokesperson for the group's former label, 4AD, had no comment on potential reunion plans.

The group's last major tour came while supporting U2 on a number of U.S. dates on the 1992 Zoo TV trek. Goldenvoice Promotions head Paul Tollett tells Billboard.com he has tried to book the Pixies "every year" for the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. "I still haven't made any movement," he reports. "[I'm] not sure if they are speaking to each other."

The Pixies -- vocalist/guitarist Black Francis, vocalist/bassist Kim Deal, lead guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering -- released four albums and an EP over the course of five years in the late '80s/early '90s, providing a blueprint for the alternative rock boom that dominated the latter decade.

In 1993, two years after the release of the group's final album, "Trompe Le Monde" (4AD/Elektra), Francis (real name: Charles Thompson) sent a press release to the media announcing the breakup of the Pixies. He went on to forge a solo career, now nine albums strong, as Frank Black. Deal found post-Pixies success with the Breeders, whose 1994 album "Last Splash" (4AD/Elektra) peaked at No. 33 on The Billboard 200 in 1994 and has sold 978,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Black has been incorporating Pixies songs into live performances with his band the Catholics with increasing regularity over the past few years. Songs like "Where Is My Mind?," "Mr. Grieves," "Crackity Jones," "Nimrod's Son," "Holiday Song" and "Gouge Away" have all surfaced in recent setlists, and a version of the latter recorded in April in Regina, Saskatchewan, appears on a new Frank Black & the Catholics EP, "Nadine," licensed this week by spinART exclusively to a number of independent U.S. retailers.

In July, Black told London radio station XFM that he still fantasized about reuniting his old band. "I do dream about the Pixies reunion, I do have to say," he said. "It's like those schoolboy dreams when you don't do your homework and you don't study for the test, but I'm at the gig and we're hanging out, but it's an utter failure and I don't know the songs, and hardly anyone turns up for the gig and people walk out. That's what I'm afraid of, that it'd be a big, big failure."

He added: "We might. We do get together and have private jams together, but not for public consumption."

During the Pixies' career, the group never made a huge commercial dent (their top-selling album is 1989's "Doolitte" at 552,000 copies). But its impact on critics and fans was far reaching. A handful of collections of Pixies material have surfaced during the band's hiatus, including the 1997 Elektra double-CD set "Death to the Pixies," which featured favorites and live compilation discs. Last year, spinART Records released "Pixies," a collection of unreleased songs from the band's original 1987 demo tape.

-- Troy Carpenter and Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Old 09-11-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
They're putting out an album on Fat Wreck next year.
Really!?!? I hadn't heard anything new about it lately. They seem to keep postponing it. They need to go on tour again too. I'm sure Fat Mike will be good to them. Am I just out of the loop, or have they actually toured at all lately? Good news regardless though. Thanks.
Old 09-12-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
This news was my impetus for going out and completing my Pixies collection today at lunch. I finally got Complete B Sides. The Pixies are one of those rare bands that actually got better with every album and I am one of the few who actually think Trompe Le Monde is their best album.
Old 09-12-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Really!?!?
Yup. From FatWreck.com:

Milo goes to Fat!

The Descendents? Yeah, I heard of 'em. Hopefully you have too cuz we're putting out their new record in March '04! This not only means that the Descendents are now on Fat, more importantly, there's a brand new Descendents album on the way! Seriously, we're all huge fans of this band (as they are one of THE most important punk bands of all time) and we can't even begin to express how excited we are to work with these guys. Oh, and we've heard a couple of these new songs and it is very safe to say that Descendents fans will be pleased with this upcoming record. That, folks, is our way of saying that these new songs rule! Enough of the love fest, have a look at their official site for more info on this glorious band:

http://www.allcentral.com/html/descendents_fr.html
An EP is coming in January, btw.
Old 09-12-03, 03:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mixed feelings. There's a part of me that would love to get another great Pixies album, but then there's the part of me that realizes that "reunions" virtually never equal good albums. Plus I was really enjoying Frank's Catholics stuff. Raw and fast, and a new record every nine months or so (sometimes two at once!) The new Breeders record was something of a major letdown for me, though.
Old 09-12-03, 03:40 PM

If everyone is longing for a Pixies tour, why don't they just go see Frank Black? He plays anywhere from 6-10 Pixies songs at every show, and you get to see them played in a smaller venue.
Old 09-12-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hearing Pixies songs in a live setting does not equal seeing the Pixies live.
Old 09-12-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
Yup. From FatWreck.com:

An EP is coming in January, btw.
That is awesome! I can't wait. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-03, 08:53 AM

I love the popular notion that Cobain led everyone to the Pixies....Whatever. F***in' kids. Jesus I feel old.

I totally and completely agree with Grunter!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave the mystique. As far as I'm concerned there is a dichotomy in possible paths. Beatles vs. Eagles. One good and forever good, one bad and forever bad.
That's not to say that if Mr. Thompson-Kitteridge and Mr. Santiago agree to this, they'll be treading in Henly-esque water, but it would be the first step dwon that proverbial road.
Old 09-26-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the pixies were a tremendously popular college rock band... but not so much in the mainstream... i believe cobain probably did have a hand in leading some to the music of the pixies. other than that, as serious music fans are looking to older stuff to explore due to lack of anything good in recent times, the pixies tend to come up alot in music suggestions.
Old 08-11-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Pixies Back After 12-Year Hiatus

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...sic_the_pixies

Pixies Back After 12-Year Hiatus

Wed Aug 11, 3:09 PM ET

By ERIC TALMADGE, Associated Press Writer

TOKYO - The Pixies, pioneers of alternative rock in the 1990s, are back after a 12-year hiatus and riding a whole new wave of success. But according to lead singer Charles Thompson, they'll be doing one thing differently this time around — they won't be rushing to find a label.

"Record companies, schmecord companies," Thompson said. "Who needs 'em?"

Reflecting the changes in an industry trying to keep pace with fast-evolving technologies and the fickle tastes of the fans, the Pixies' much-awaited reunion is taking place not in a studio but at small live houses and multiband extravaganzas from Winnipeg, Canada to Ljubljana, Slovenia.

And instead of working up new material, they are focusing on selling tickets, T-shirts and CDs mass-produced on site at the venues.

"The record business is really bad right now," Thompson, aka Black Francis, said in an interview with The Associated Press after performing recently at the Fuji Rock Festival. "That's not where the money is. The business is with the real customers, the fans. They're the ones who say, `OK, we'll come and see you perform. That's who we're trying to connect with."

So far, the Pixies seem to be connecting pretty well.

Their first 13 reunion shows this spring sold out quickly and their 18-country tour of the United Kingdom and Europe was well received by the fans and critics. On Sept. 4, the four-member band — Thompson, bassist Kim Deal (news), guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering — will embark on a three-month tour of the United States and Canada.

As part of their new approach, live CD recordings have been produced at the performances, and most have been briskly snapped up by the fans.

"It's a revenue stream," Thompson said. "I'm not saying we could sell lots of records if we sold them out of our garage or the Internet, but you know what? We might. It's a crazy time."

While the band hasn't been completely averse to recording, they are doing it on their own terms.

Called "Bam Thwok," their first new song in 13 years was arranged and rehearsed at Santiago's home studio and recorded in March at Stagg Street Studios in Los Angeles. Instead of going with a more traditional label, they opted to make the song available on Apple's iTunes Music Store. Price: 99 cents a pop.

"I never really was much of a believer in the album anyway," Thompson said. "Singles are what people relate to."

But Thompson said making more studio records — singles or albums — isn't what the Pixies have in mind, at least for the time being.

"In terms of getting a relationship with a company going, we don't have any need, because we don't have anything for them to sell," he said. "If and when we do have something, we're probably going to proceed a little cautiously. They're all trying to figure out what they're next move is. Between the Internet and record stores going out of business, it just seems better to stay away until things settle down a bit."

Though the woes of the record companies — their fight against Internet piracy, plunging sales, hard-to-predict trends — are well known, Thompson says that, from the performers' perspective, the changes in the industry aren't all bad.

"At the end of the day, the record company always needs content. They need artists. Right now, they need artists more than we need them," he said. "We're in a situation where we don't have to make records anymore to be asked to go into a studio and make music. Because of all the cross-marketing that goes on these days, it's like everyone's getting called to make songs for a movie, or for a web site, or a commercial."

Thompson helped found the Pixies in 1986, when he and Santiago dropped out of college in Boston. Melding an eclectic mix of musical styles, they released their first album, "Surfer Rosa," two years later. Before breaking up in 1992, they were widely acclaimed for opening up the alternative music genre and paving the way for such bands as Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Artistically, Thompson says the Pixies are still regenerating.

Their first round of shows were called "warm-up dates," and reserved for smaller, lower-profile venues because, Thompson said, he just wanted to make sure that they could still put on a credible tour.

"That's why we picked the far corner of the Earth to try it out — Canada," he joked.

But he said that, despite some rough spots during their live performances, closing the gap after more than a decade has been easier than he expected.

"As a band, our reunion has been remarkably uneventful," Thompson said. "There was some awkwardness in the first rehearsals. But once you're over that, we're all the same. The same personalities. Maybe now we play better."

He said he has no idea what will happen to the Pixies down the road.

"We don't have any vision or plan," he said. "We didn't have any vision or plan the first time around. You may think three, six months, maybe a year ahead. But you don't plan it all out."
I used to think Kim Deal was hot.... but not with that damn haircut.

Last edited by Lara Means; 08-11-04 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who cares? What counts is the music. Does it rock? Then good! Does it suck? Then bad!

Judging from the live CDs I've downloaded from this last tour, the Pixies are back. And I got my tickets to see them next month.
Old 08-11-04, 07:45 PM
Banned

The Pixies are gods in music circles. Their influence can never be underestimated and I'm actually glad they broke up seventeen days before the whole "grunge" movement exploded. I'm looking forward to seeing them in concert sometime soon.
Old 08-11-04, 08:12 PM

They were awesome at Coachella and today I scored tickets to their NYC shows. I strongly recommend them.
Old 08-11-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Pixies Back After 12-Year Hiatus

Originally posted by Lara Means
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...sic_the_pixies

nice conclusion
Old 08-12-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a news story August 11th?
Old 08-12-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jay77
This is a news story August 11th?
Yeah CNN is a little behind the times, they started touring back in APRIL!?
Old 08-12-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, i just went on ticketmaster to get hammerstein tix but it's presale. whats the code to get in?
Old 08-12-04, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
Hey, i just went on ticketmaster to get hammerstein tix but it's presale. whats the code to get in?
Well, it was "umass" but I don't think it matters at this point - try again tomorrow.
Old 08-12-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that's funny. Still, it won't let me buy. i wonder if it's already sold out (or actually they probably had a limited number they'd sell early. i'll swing by hammerstein after work and see what's up.
Old 08-12-04, 07:29 PM

The presale tix are sold out for NYC, I've been told.

I'm seeing then in San Diego next month. Levitate Me.

RS

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.