Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Teenage Fanclub (?)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Teenage Fanclub (?)

Old 07-11-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teenage Fanclub (?)

I really like this band quite a bit and think it's time to buy some more... or go back and repurchase "Thirteen". I have "Catholic Education" "Bandwagonesque" "Grand Prix" and "Songs Northern Britain". I plan on picking up "Howdy" one day....

.... but I also want to give "Thirteen" another shot. I didn't like this CD when it first came out. I noticed it's been rereleased with 6 extra tracks. Are these extra tracks worth seeking out? I can pick up the original version on Ebay very cheaply.

Also, a long shot here.... anyone heard the 5 disc box set of rarities floating around?
Old 07-11-03, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Teenage Fanclub (?)

Originally posted by atlantamoi

.... but I also want to give "Thirteen" another shot. I didn't like this CD when it first came out.
I also had a problem enjoying this album as well. Looks like T. Fanclub are making the festival rounds this summer in the UK, would love to rediscover this band and relisten to their back catalogue of songs.
Old 07-11-03, 10:48 AM

I would definately get Howdy over Thirteen. I tend to be a bigger fan of their later material. Grand Prix, Songs from Northern Britain and Hodwy are their best IMO.
Old 07-11-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I was really surprised by their latest Howdy. Wow what a great bunch of tunes. Especially, the first 7 or 8. Byrds meets Big Star. Great great songs.
Old 07-11-03, 12:57 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
I've always loved Thirteen and everything else released by them. Many of the original US releases actually have these "bonus tracks" as hidden tracks. You should be able to find a cheap copy with the hidden bonus tracks from Half.com, you'd just have to inquire whether or not their version has the 13 or 19 tracks.

From ALLMUSIC.com:
"[Original pressings of Thirteen included no fewer than six unlisted bonus cuts assembled from British singles — the material is consistently excellent, highlighted by the McGinley original "Golden Glades" as well as reverent covers of Phil Ochs' "Chords of Fame" and the Flying Burrito Brothers' "Older Guys."]"

Last edited by jarsim; 07-11-03 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-11-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks jarsim... I'll ask a seller to actually listen to the CD past what's listed. Had no clue they might be hidden tracks.

I plan on buying "Howdy" no matter... but I know that "Thirteen" has a few good songs on it as well.

This band is criminally overlooked. Remember when Spin listed "Bandwagonesque" as the best CD of 1991? And we all know what monster recording was released that year that most other magazines picked. Oh, on the opposite side, I remember Rolling Stone said that "Bandwagonesque" signaled the end of alternative music. That is one of the funniest reviews I've ever read.
Old 07-11-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh... here's the review!! Hilariously bad.

TWO STARS

"Alternative Rock is dead; long live demographics. Since virtually all of the great late-Seventies and early-Eighties independent labels got snatched up by the big boys, the sound that once shook the underground has been touted – and accepted – as the latest groovy thing for going on ten years now. The elements have barely budged – enigmatic band names, droning guitars, pretty melodies and exhausted male singers.

Far from the freshness and punch of its previous effort, A Catholic Education, Teenage Fanclub seems to have lapsed into an alternative-rock coma. Bandwagonesque has not a single musical surprise in store: From the pop-culture in-jokes ("Pet Rock," the wordless "Is This Music?") to the faux spiritualism ("Star Sign," "Guiding Star") to the halfhearted stabs at irony ("The Concept," "Metal Baby"), each song lopes along at a slowish midtempo, made more endless by high, thin vocals and moments of decorative guitar feedback. And it's all repetitive repetitive repetitive.

The huge record labels have an excuse to call such homogenized product "alternative" – they're notoriously out of touch. The fans who reject Poison's or Amy Grant's image because those artists are obviously packaged and marketed with numbers-crunching calculation will happily fork over the $12.99 for Teenage Fanclub's equally persuasive images – eye-searing fluorescents and fisheye-lens photos of the unsmiling, unkempt band members. But these pleasantly innocuous melodies are alternative to nothing, certainly not to their antecedents – Bernie Taupin, Kansas and nursery rhymes. Still not convinced? Try singing Boston's "More Than a Feeling" to the tune of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." (RS 623)

ARION BERGER
Old 07-12-03, 02:22 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Originally posted by atlantamoi
Oh... here's the review!! Hilariously bad.

TWO STARS

"Alternative Rock is dead; long live demographics. Since virtually all of the great late-Seventies and early-Eighties independent labels got snatched up by the big boys, the sound that once shook the underground has been touted – and accepted – as the latest groovy thing for going on ten years now. The elements have barely budged – enigmatic band names, droning guitars, pretty melodies and exhausted male singers.

ARION BERGER
This is one of the reviews that exemplifies why I pay little credence into critiques of albums. It sometimes appears that critics try to be as superlative/defining as the albums they believe they are reviewing.

Hindsight is, well you know, however does anyone believe a word this crackhead says? In the progression, the sound, of TFC, it doesn't seem at all out of line. I mean, how could they have known what was happening on the otherside of the Atlantic, let alone the otherside of the Pacific.. Yet, they were defining "alternative" music and failing?! Perhaps they didn't sound "grunge" enough, and that's what the critic was indirectly pointing to i.e. grunge was going to change 'alternative' music.

Talk about getting paid to talk out of your ass, where can I sign up?
Old 07-12-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jarsim

Hindsight is, well you know, however does anyone believe a word this crackhead says?
12 years on this review is even more banal. When I read it at the time I was laughing. God, if only this band and their sound had influenced what is on the radio today. This is the last band that killed off alternative rock... personally, I give it to Pearl Jam. They had more in common with classic rock than what Nirvana was doing.
Old 07-13-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get Howdy now! As good an album as it is, it is even better during the summer. Quick, you're missing valuable summer listening time!