Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Jimi Hendrix Experience album

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: best original Jimi Hendrix Album?
Are you Expierenced?
28.57%
Axis: Bold as Love
9.52%
Electric Ladyland
38.10%
like em all
14.29%
Hendrix was overrated
9.52%
I unfortuanty don't own a Hendrix album
0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Best Jimi Hendrix Experience album

Old 07-02-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best Original Jimi Hendrix Expierence album

I like em all

I do not consiter the rerelease stuff that they released a few years ago. I'm talkin about the original 3 that came out during his lifetime.

Last edited by Rypro 525; 07-02-03 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-02-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Original Jimi Hendrix album

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I do not consiter the rerelease stuff that they released a few years ago. I'm talkin about the original 3 that came out during his lifetime.
Rypro... When Hendrix disbanded the Experience he formed Band Of Gypsys. Their debut (live) album was released while Jimi was still alive and it should be included in your poll. One could also argue that Cry Of Love should be included since Jimi was working on it at the time of his death, but I don't share that POV... While much of it had been recorded in basic track form, it was not a finished product by any stretch.

To answer your poll though, I would say they are all great. In order, I rank them... Electric Ladyland, Axis: Bold As Love, Band Of Gypsys, Are You Experienced?
Old 07-02-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you experienced is a total classic and probably his best album but I've heard it way, way too much.

I nominate Axis because it's a little more experimental than AYE but less bloated (definitely a relative term here) than ELL.
Old 07-02-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I prefer Electric Ladyland, myself. I still have the german wax which features all the naked titties on the cover...and fold-out. Jimi fans may not like this...but although he was huge as far as influential goes....he was a bit sloppy.
Old 07-02-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I prefer Electric Ladyland, myself. I still have the german wax which features all the naked titties on the cover...and fold-out. Jimi fans may not like this...but although he was huge as far as influential goes....he was a bit sloopy.
Electric Ladyland is sloppy in conception, but features his tightest and most accesible songs. Unfortunately, the album is a victim of late 60s LSD drenched producing.

I wish I had the titty cover, I could only find it on a unmastered 2CD Polydor version, so I bought the boring US cover .
Old 07-02-03, 06:51 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I picked Electric Ladyland, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that Hendrix was also overrated a little. I think he was great and all, but not as much as most people do.
Old 07-02-03, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
I picked Electric Ladyland, but that doesn't stop me from thinking that Hendrix was also overrated a little. I think he was great and all, but not as much as most people do.
I always felt his ghost a little...everytime I saw SRV. I also wanted to mention that another fav recording of mine is Live At Winterland. killer version of Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love. I still have that vinyl in clear/transparent wax. awesome Ryko LP.
Old 07-03-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gutwrencher
[BI also wanted to mention that another fav recording of mine is Live At Winterland. killer version of Cream's Sunshine Of Your Love. I still have that vinyl in clear/transparent wax. awesome Ryko LP. [/B]
"I'm not saying that we can do it better than them.....heh......"
Old 07-03-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah dude, band of gypsys is my favorite. that album is totally amazing.
Old 07-03-03, 07:06 PM
mwj

Electric Ladyland, but I agree with wendersfan, Hendrix is overrated.