DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dido -- discussion thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/301853-dido-discussion-thread.html)

gerrythedon 06-27-03 05:39 PM

Dido -- discussion thread

[Billboard.com]
Dido Hoists 'Flag' For Sophomore Disc

U.K. vocalist Dido will follow up her wildly successful debut album, "No Angel," with "Life for Rent," due Sept. 30 from Arista. The set will be preceded by the single "White Flag," which will debut Sunday (June 29) via AOL's "First Listen" initiative and arrive July 7 at U.S. radio outlets.

"White Flag" was produced by Dido and her brother Rollo, of the band Faithless (with whom Dido has also recorded). Rollo has other production credits on the new album, which was recorded at The Church, a London recording studio owned by the Eurythmics' Dave Stewart.

The full track list for "Life for Rent" has not yet been finalized, but among the tunes expected to make the cut as "Sand in My Shoes," "This Land Is Mine" and "Mary's in India."

It has been four years since the release of "No Angel," which got a boost when eventual single "Thank You" was sampled on Eminem's hit "Stan." The debut would reach a peak of No. 4 on The Billboard 200 during 69 weeks on the chart, on its way to selling 3.8 million copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The album was also a huge hit internationally and in Dido's native U.K., with worldwide shipments exceeding 12 million, according to Arista.

Rogue588 06-27-03 07:00 PM

As someone who knew Dido before Roswell/Here With Me/Stan, i'm looking forward to this..

palebluedot 09-13-03 12:14 AM

So I have been listening to this album and I must say I am very dissapointed. The best way I can describe it is it's just.......there.......nothing stands out about it. The musical choices on the album make absolutely no sense to me. I am all for experimentation in sound but there just doesn't seem to be any thought put into this. I haven't had time to pay attention to what she is saying yet but muscially and vocally it's just....meh. I am bummed because I really liked the first album and was really looking forward to the new one.

Rogue588 09-13-03 12:15 AM

I like it...it's mellow and relaxing and I really like Dido's voice..

palebluedot 09-13-03 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Rogue588
I like it...it's mellow and relaxing and I really like Dido's voice..
On that level...yes it's mellow and her voice is soothing but I wanted much more...especially since it took four years to have something new.

Rogue588 09-13-03 12:44 AM

well, i'm used to it since I listen to Sade :)

atlantamoi 09-13-03 05:19 AM

Good call on Sade. I've only heard the first single on the radio and it does absolutely NOTHING for me. This sounds like an outtake from her last recording. Inoffensive wallpaper. Like Sade and Enya, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... your fans will buy anyway.

I like Sade by the way!

dolphinboy 09-13-03 08:04 PM

I just saw the video, I hadn't heard the song before. Maybe it was because I was seeing her too, but I liked it. It was far from great, but it was a good song. I really love her voice, though, maybe that too sways me enough to not dump on the song.

kilcher 09-14-03 02:03 AM

I was pretty impressed when she sang it on Pepsi Crush (ugh, I feel stupid just saying it). But hearing it on the radio, eh, it's ok.

dolphinboy 09-30-03 09:25 PM

Very good album. They had it playing at the record store when I came in and everyone seemed to be enjoying it. It certainly is a bit mellow, but when I'm in the mood for that, this would be great. Dido has a wonderful voice. I look forward to seeing her tonight on Letterman.

My grade: B

db27 10-01-03 07:02 AM

i like it

not as good as her first, but still very good stuff

gerrythedon 05-19-05 07:55 PM

Dido: Live CD/DVD - 6/7/05

Due June 7 from RCA in the United States (June 13 internationally), the CD/DVD "Dido: Live" chronicles a hometown stand on the artist's 2004 Life for Rent tour. Filmed over three nights at London's Brixton Academy ("a venue she visited many times as a punter when she was growing up," according to her official Web site) in August by director David Barnard (Bjork, Travis), the DVD boasts 17 songs, while the CD features 12 tracks from the shows.

Songs on both discs are "Stoned," "Here With Me," "See You When You're 40," "Life for Rent," "Isobel," "Honestly Ok," "Mary's in India," "Take My Hand," "Thankyou," "Sand in My Shoes," "White Flag" and "See the Sun." The DVD also includes "Hunter," "My Life," "Don't Leave Home," "Do You Have a Little Time" and "All You Want."

Fans who pre-order the set through Dido's Web site will be entered into a contest to win tour books and t-shirts signed by the artist.

[BILLBOARD.com]

RMSpuhler 05-19-05 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Songs on both discs are "Stoned," "Here With Me," "See You When You're 40," "Life for Rent," "Isobel," "Honestly Ok," "Mary's in India," "Take My Hand," "Thankyou," "Sand in My Shoes," "White Flag" and "See the Sun." The DVD also includes "Hunter," "My Life," "Don't Leave Home," "Do You Have a Little Time" and "All You Want."

Not impressed. I didn't see her on the tour for this album, but when I saw her right as the last one came out she opened with "Worthless," her best song, and closed with a fun little cover of "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic." Shame those aren't around.

RS

tofu 05-20-05 06:39 AM

Are her concerts any good? I've never seen her perform live although I do really like her music.

auto 05-20-05 10:22 AM

Two records followed by a Live CD. Somebody's out of ideas.

Paging Marshall Mathers!

RMSpuhler 05-20-05 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by tofu
Are her concerts any good? I've never seen her perform live although I do really like her music.

Not bad. When I saw her (and granted, this was 1999, so who knows what this latest tour was like), she had a really great live band that she toured with. "Worthless" opened the show, with the band on stage for five minutes or so before she walked out.

Her performance wasn't too bad. She's not all that strong a singer, but kind of fun on stage, especially on her quasi-up tempo tracks.

RS

DJLinus 05-20-05 12:37 PM

I'm a big fan of her music, but I'll pass on this (for now). There's plenty of other stuff that I'd rather buy.

Originally Posted by automator
Two records followed by a Live CD. Somebody's out of ideas.

Paging Marshall Mathers!

It could be the label's decision to release this and not hers. But that would be cool to see her and Em do another song (and not just use a sample this time).

auto 05-20-05 02:55 PM

I'm sure you're right. She probably isn't cranking out albums as fast as her label would like. I just think it's funny when an artist (Coldplay also comes to mind) has two or three records and then releases a live album or, even worse, a greatest hits disc.

I'm sure this record will buy Dido and several record company execs (and probably Eminem) all new yachts. :lol:

Mr. Salty 06-04-05 04:55 AM

It looks like this will be selling for about $15 when it comes out, and for a full-length DVD and concert CD, that ain't bad. Plus, Dido isn't bad to look at.

Osiris 06-06-05 01:41 AM

Pass

Mr. Salty 06-06-05 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris
Pass

Care to actually contribute something of substance to the discussion?

Cobrachris 06-11-05 09:01 PM

So, did anyone else pick this up? I'm watching the DVD now. Great DTS track and good picture quality. Her band is great and she sounds good too (not bad to look at either). Only $12.99 at Circuit City although today may be the last day for this price. If you're a fan, I recommend it.

DJLinus 06-11-05 10:43 PM

It's on my list, but kind of far down it. One thing that'll affect a future purchase: is it overly edited, in that there's a new shot every few seconds?

Her music's pretty mellow, but that ADD style of editing seems to be more and more prevelant.

gerrythedon 06-11-05 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cobrachris
So, did anyone else pick this up? I'm watching the DVD now. Great DTS track and good picture quality. Her band is great and she sounds good too (not bad to look at either). Only $12.99 at Circuit City although today may be the last day for this price. If you're a fan, I recommend it.

Yeah, picked up on Tuesday at BB for $12.99 [primatched with CC ad]. Finally saw it today, it was pretty damn good. As U stated Band sounds good, Dido voice sounds good live, gotta love DTS!. I really liked how the band sounded during HUNTER.

... and Damn I always thought Dido was cute, but Damn she looks real cute!

Mr. Salty 06-12-05 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
One thing that'll affect a future purchase: is it overly edited, in that there's a new shot every few seconds?

No, that's not the style at all. The style suits Dido's music (i.e. you do not feel you're on a meth bender).