Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Gabriel releases series of live CDs from current tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-26-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Just got an e-mail that Peter Gabriel is releasing a series of double live CDs for dates on his current tour. The skinny:

Longtime Real World engineer, Ben Findlay, is recording every show on the tour, utilizing a set-up that takes the direct soundboard mix and also includes ambient microphones set up at each venue to more closely recreate the sound as heard by concertgoers.

These unique CDs will only be available for a limited time, and will go out of print after the tour ends.

Q: What is an Encore Series CD?
A: It is a live recording (2 CD's) made available to fans who have attended a memorable show by one of their favorite artists.

Q: Why would I want to buy a CD copy of a show I've just attended?
A: The Encore Series provides you with an audio memento of the actual show you attended, allowing you to relive the experience again and again.

Q: How is the recording made?
A: It is a stereo recording taken directly from the soundboard.

Q: How is this different from an audience tape or bootleg recording?
A: This is an authorised recording that is professionally mixed by the same sound engineer who mixes the live show. As a result, the quality of an Encore Series recording will be much better than an illegal audience tape.

Q: Can I buy Encore Series CDs at my local record store?
A: These shows are only made available via the Internet and are not sold in retail outlets. The finished product (not CD-R's) generally begins shipping within three weeks after the show date.

The above info can be found here.

To buy 'em, go here.

I think it's a cool idea and would make a great memento, but at $25 a pop I think I may only get one (if I get any at all).
Old 06-26-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
$25 is too much. Pearl Jam's usually cost about $15, so it can be done for cheap. Plus Gabriel does the same setlist every night, so one will be all that you need.
Old 06-26-03, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gabriel does NOT do the same set list. He changes 2 -3 songs...but it is pretty static compared to other bands.
Old 06-26-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
This is great! I hope more artists start doing this. While I certainly like the super-cheap price on the Pearl Jam sets, $25 for a 2 disc live album really isn't that bad.
Old 06-26-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
This is great! I hope more artists start doing this. While I certainly like the super-cheap price on the Pearl Jam sets, $25 for a 2 disc live album really isn't that bad.
I have to agree, depending on the quality I would by all the great concerts that I will see.
Old 06-27-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for posting this info. I will be unable to catch his show on this tour, but love the idea of getting a live CD. FYI - according to the website, you can pre-order the entire live CD set (15 shows, I think) for $325. Steep price, but I'm sure there are enough hardcore PG fans out there that will take advantage of the option.
Old 06-28-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jippy
Thanks for posting this info. I will be unable to catch his show on this tour, but love the idea of getting a live CD. FYI - according to the website, you can pre-order the entire live CD set (15 shows, I think) for $325. Steep price, but I'm sure there are enough hardcore PG fans out there that will take advantage of the option.
Ummm....I really love PG, but does anyone really need 15 nearly identical versions of "In Your Eyes"?

Old 06-28-03, 11:48 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I think it is really cool that he is dong this. Thanks for posting the info.

Christina
Old 06-29-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
$25 is a great price

Tshirts at a show cost $30, so I ask you -- what helps you keep a memory of the show better? A shirt or the show itself?

No brainer, get the show.
Old 06-30-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any place to read reviews and set lists for PG shows?
Old 06-30-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally posted by Stoolie
Is there any place to read reviews and set lists for PG shows?
Not sure about reviews (online versions of newspapers of cities where the tour stops, maybe?), but there are set lists for each disc on the site where you can buy them. Click on the disc for a certain show and the new page will give you an option to see the set list. Obviously, the set list for a particular disc isn't posted until the show is actually performed.

Last edited by DJLinus; 06-30-03 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 05:13 PM

I have to agree it's a good idea but there is no need to buy more then one show. The setlist change from night to night is very minimal. Just a shift in the encore songs. Also unless you really liked his latest cd the shows are a little disappointing. It would be better to just release a live DVD. The stage show is what really makes a PG show.
Old 07-01-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello all. Figured I'd pick a nice obscure thread to make my first post in. I'm torn as to if I really want to spend the money for all the shows.. I definatly want them! The one question I have is: does the song "The Tower" exist anywhere? I have all his albums and a handful of singles, and have never heard of it. But it was an awesome song!

If you pick up the cd he did at the DTE Energy Music Theatre, it may be amusing. During "Mercy Street", I think he made a mistake or something, but regardless, they stopped and started over again. Then on "Solsbury Hill", the keyboards totally cut out, and they were trying to get them to work again, so he said while they're working on that, he'd just play a song, so he did "Here Comes The Flood" on piano (like the Shaking the Tree version).

One part of a song he asked for the people on the lawn to sing (which was where we were), and I think 9/10 of the people were sleeping cos I really heard nothing from us. Ah well. If I do land up getting only one, it'll be that.

Sorry for my long rambling here..
Old 07-01-03, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tower is from OVO, as is Animal Nation. I would hold off on buying it, I heard he's going to tune up OVO and re-release it.

Pete has been troubled with many false starts this tour. He never used to be this bad. I know he's nothingl like he was in the Genesis days....I have many Genesis boots, and his performance was so much better. He's just old.

I was at the Milwaukee show. I recommend getting that one. IT was fantastic, and they brought out the Blind Boys and did Sky Blue. The crowd was really into Digging and Shock the Monkey....it was a far better musical show than the ealier tour.

I'm getting 3 of them probally, I also want Biko, Come Talk to me and Animal Nation.
Old 07-01-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scot1458
Tower is from OVO, as is Animal Nation. I would hold off on buying it, I heard he's going to tune up OVO and re-release it.

Pete has been troubled with many false starts this tour. He never used to be this bad. I know he's nothingl like he was in the Genesis days....I have many Genesis boots, and his performance was so much better. He's just old.
::hits self in head:: Okay, I lied, I'm missing that album and his new movie one! It'll be hard to hold off on it after hearing it live.

Despite false starts, it was still a great show. I dunno, I would asume in music if you make a mistake you just keep going. Maybe that's just me?