Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

If you could change one thing about a specific album...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I was listening to The Velvet Underground & Nico today and it reminded me how much I hate Nico's voice. "I'll Be Your Mirror" is an excellent song, but she just ruins it for me (I much prefer Lou Reed's version on Perfect Night). I love the album dearly, but it could be so much better, IMO. It would be great to somehow take her vocals out and put in Reed's.

If you could play George Lucas and change one thing about a specific already released album, what would it be?

Last edited by DJLinus; 06-25-03 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-25-03, 03:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get rid of the non-songs (privacy, heyfoxmophandlemommathatsme) on Vitalogy by Pearl Jam.
Old 06-25-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Get rid of the non-songs (privacy, heyfoxmophandlemommathatsme) on Vitalogy by Pearl Jam.
agree.
Old 06-25-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd cut "Can't Stand It" off of Wilco's Summerteeth. Summerteeth is one of my favorite albums, and they open it with this track, which is one of my least favorite songs they've ever recorded (along with "Monday" from Being There, but at least that song doesn't open the album).

I'd also cut "King of All the World" from the Old 97's Satellite Rides for the exact same reason.

Ironically, "Can't Stand It" and "King of All the World" were also the first singles released from these discs...
Old 06-25-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cut revolution no.9 on the white album, what the hell is that.
Old 06-25-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Agreed. That "song" is like a turd on a wedding cake.
Old 06-25-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts
Re: If you could change one thing about a specific album...

Originally posted by DJLinus
I was listening to The Velvet Underground & Nico today and it reminded me how much I hate Nico's voice. "I'll Be Your Mirror" is an excellent song, but she just ruins it for me (I much prefer Lou Reed's version on Perfect Night). I love the album dearly, but it could be so much better, IMO.
Wow, can't agree with you at all on that one...
Old 06-25-03, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
I'd cut "Can't Stand It" off of Wilco's Summerteeth. Summerteeth is one of my favorite albums, and they open it with this track, which is one of my least favorite songs they've ever recorded (along with "Monday" from Being There, but at least that song doesn't open the album).

Whoa!

I'm gonna stay out of this thread!
Old 06-25-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jonnyrocks
Whoa!

I'm gonna stay out of this thread!
Just to let you know, I did not mean the popular radio song of the same name (without the no.9)
Old 06-25-03, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my fave groups, The Bats, have a compilation called "Compiletly Bats" with such lofi quality I can't listen to it. I want them to go back in the studio and rerecord these songs because I can tell they are good.

(I just typed this to myself because I doubt many know these guys!)
Old 06-25-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Keep Phil Spector away from Let it Be
Old 06-25-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've said this before, cut "Hit the Plane Down" from Pavement's Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, good god, it's the only thing keeping that album from being flawless.

I'd also cut "Anaesthetic" from James White and The Contortions' Buy the Contortions because, while it is nice to see them do something that is a little more moody, that would be a premium dance record. It still is, but I hate having to skip that track every time I put it on.

"Chloroform" on Spoon's A Series of Sneaks is pure filler.

While it's not a particularly bad song, "Little Nicky" on Prince's Purple Rain goes down for the same reason as "Anaesthetic."

I guess that's about it. While I agree with the Nico thoughts, I can deal with her.

-edit-

For some reason I wrote down "Fillmore Jive", a song I really love. I'm not sure what happened, I meant to write "Hit the Plane Down."

Last edited by fallow; 06-26-03 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-26-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: If you could change one thing about a specific album...

You may laugh, as it has nothing to do with music, and doesn't interfere with the song itself, but I have forever been irked to no end by the bleep on Blue Oyster Cult's "Extraterrestial Live". In introducing the song Godzilla, there's a slightly lengthy lead up at the end of which the speaker (Bloom? No clue.) says "Holy ****! It's Godzilla!" and just like at dvdtalk, the **** gets bleeped out. Now, it's not so much that they censored the ****, because again, it's not in the song proper, but it just totally breaks the vibe.

I was hoping Sony would remaster it, like they did with the first four albums, and either mix it with the original **** intact, or at the very least, just edit out the loud obnoxious "BAH-LEEP" and just go with dead air instead. That at least wouldn't take you so out of the groove.
Old 06-26-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Re: If you could change one thing about a specific album...

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
You may laugh, as it has nothing to do with music, and doesn't interfere with the song itself, but I have forever been irked to no end by the bleep on Blue Oyster Cult's "Extraterrestial Live". In introducing the song Godzilla, there's a slightly lengthy lead up at the end of which the speaker (Bloom? No clue.) says "Holy ****! It's Godzilla!" and just like at dvdtalk, the **** gets bleeped out. Now, it's not so much that they censored the ****, because again, it's not in the song proper, but it just totally breaks the vibe.
Also, it could've used a little more cowbell.
Old 06-26-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. Add "Penny Lane" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" to "Sgt. Pepper's"
2. Remove the last four minutes of "Can't you Hear me Knocking" from "Sticky Fingers": it's fairly generic Santanaesque noodling.
3. Get "Mrs. Robinson" the hell off of "It's a Shame about Ray" by Lemonheads. Awful cover.
4. Remove all of the joke songs from Husker Du's early albums ("How to Skin a Cat", "The Baby Song" etc.) they ruin the flow of these classics.
5. Get rid of some of the skits on "De La Soul is Dead" and it would be perfect.
6. Delete every Sly Stone album after "There's a Riot Going On"
7. Delete Alex Chilton's entire solo career.
8. Remove all of the jam tracks at the end of "All Things Must Pass" by George Harrison and you've got the best Beatles album they never made.
Old 06-26-03, 08:40 AM

Just to let you know, I did not mean the popular radio song of the same name (without the no.9)
I'm very familiar with Revolution #9...
Old 06-26-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd remove the skits from any hip hop album.... and most of them have them.... pick up a cd by 50cent, eminem, ja rule etc. etc. and I'd ditch all the skits...they are not funny or entertaining and have no repeat value...you hear me Wyclef!?!??!? (whose album "The Carnival" is nearly a perfect 10, if it weren't for skits)

I'd get rid of the song "Tape You" off of N.E.R.D.'s album "IN Search Of"...the album is almost perfect, except for that song.

I would also cut 2 minutes out of the song "Only In Dreams" by Weezer on the blue album...by shortening this song to six minutes instead of eight I think it'd be perfect...of course I absolutely love the song now, but with the right parts snipped a bit, it'd be phenomenal....

MATT
Old 06-26-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
3. Get "Mrs. Robinson" the hell off of "It's a Shame about Ray" by Lemonheads. Awful cover.
Ha! My copy of Ray doesn't have that track! But you're right. One cover on that record is enough ("Frank Mills").
Old 06-26-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
For The Eagles, Hell Freezes Over CD, add the live version of The Heart of the Matter that appears on the DVD. One of the best songs of that concert.
Old 06-26-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
One of my fave groups, The Bats...

(I just typed this to myself because I doubt many know these guys!)
You mean the NZ band?

Get rid of the two "Untitled" instrumental "jams" (bleugh) from Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?. I think they're called "Untitled" and "Swamp Song"... skip - skip - skip

The only person who enjoys a musical "jam" is the person PLAYING the musical "jam"... gah, stupid musicians
Old 06-26-03, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Hiro11
Can't disagree with you more -- it's an awesome cover. Completely remakes the song in their own style. I agree that it's slightly out of place on the album (which is a great little album), but I think the version is so good that I wouldn't remove it.
Old 06-26-03, 11:26 AM
Retired

I love the cover of "Mrs. Robinson" as well.
Old 06-26-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Remove Lullabye and Love Song from Disitegration by the Cure.

I second the removal of skits on cds, like De La Soul is Dead.
Old 06-26-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Ha! My copy of Ray doesn't have that track! But you're right. One cover on that record is enough ("Frank Mills").
Neither does mine, but you can't get it without that song now.
Old 06-26-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mdc3000
Remove skits
Couldn't agree more. Too many skippables.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.