Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

"Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing..."

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-21-03, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing. I love it. SCRREEEEEAAAAMMMM!" -- Suzy from Anchorage, AK.

If Whitney Houston was right about the children being our future and we're supposed to let them lead the way, we're about to head back into the dark ages.
Old 06-21-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 06-21-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
i'm sure dressing like this helped too...

Old 06-21-03, 06:00 PM

Re: "Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing..."

Originally posted by Face/Off
"Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing. I love it. SCRREEEEEAAAAMMMM!" -- Suzy from Anchorage, AK.

If Whitney Houston was right about the children being our future and we're supposed to let them lead the way, we're about to head back into the dark ages.
Please, please tell me that you realize that that quote is part of the video and is a knock on today's mass marketed youth and how they interpret "music".

Otherwise, it only proves ironic that the Whitney Houston quote that you so wittingly posted describes you.

And please don't take this as an attack. I am not a Jewel fan, but I find the video to be so dead on about today's media driven society and its effect on most of today's youth.
Old 06-21-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: "Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing..."

Originally posted by Metrodub
Please, please tell me that you realize that that quote is part of the video and is a knock on today's mass marketed youth and how they interpret "music".

Otherwise, it only proves ironic that the Whitney Houston quote that you so wittingly posted describes you.

And please don't take this as an attack. I am not a Jewel fan, but I find the video to be so dead on about today's media driven society and its effect on most of today's youth.
I think that overall, the video is too subtle to be genuinely a critique of postmodern society. It is, after all, maintaining a pretty high spot on TRL. I find Jewel sickeningly hypocritical--her new style is just a way to market her to the same audience that buys into teen pop gigs. I actually got sad when I read the Blender piece on her. It's so obvious that that is what she is doing, and I hate it when artists sacrifice musical growth to pander to certain age groups.
Old 06-22-03, 05:46 AM
Banned

Re: Re: "Jewel's music sounds much better now that she's dancing..."

Originally posted by Metrodub

Why wouldn't I take it as an attack when that's what it is? Even though the use of the word "irony" is completely misplaced and any knucklehead can see that I wasn't praising this quote.

I didn't know it was part of the video. Maybe if I spent my free time watching music videos day in and day out like some people on this board, I would've instantly known that. I've seen the video WITHOUT that quote, so I just assumed the clip with it was TRL or something like that. But I'm just wasting my time here, since obviously it doesn't matter what I say.

Last edited by Face/Off; 06-22-03 at 05:56 AM.