Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica...St. Anger...&...the TRUTH...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Do you really hate St. Anger...?
Yes, I truthfully despise this album.
55.93%
No, the album's not that bad...i'm just sick & tired of all the drama.
40.68%
Screw all the Napster/Lars drama...i'm pissed that they didn't pick Twikoff to replace Jason!
3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Metallica...St. Anger...&...the TRUTH...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
Nice to finally hear from ya db27, your presence has been missed in these threads
i got mighty sick of that other thread, so i just ran away from it. figured i'd throw my 2 cents in this one before it also got on my nerves!!

i get frustrated really quick in those threads, i don't know why though. it's the same old situation, happens anytime Metallica does anything!
Old 06-23-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For what it's worth Keyser, I completely respect your opinion and the manner in which you present it. I just disagree.

They don't need to compete with anyone, because regardless of what they put forth it will sell, so that is a moot point. There is no competition for Metallica, unless some band comes out of the woodwork there won't be for quite some time.

This album is simply born from different blood, different times, new feelings, new discoveries within the band.

This backlash is nothing new, it's happened on essentially every album...

Lets see...

Kill em all - to fast to heavy, geez he is screaming!!

Ride the Lightning - not fast or heavy enough, and what... a ballad!!!!! this is not Metallica

Master of Puppets - ah, yes they have found it again but why all this drug talk!!!

...And Justice for All - wtf, Cliff dies and now we can't have any bass geez why can't this band do something right! and a video on MTV!!!!!! this is not my Metallica.

Metallica "black album" - SELL OUT MF'ers, i'm burning there albums cuz they are sooo coorporate now, radio, mtv, more ballads. YOU SUCK!!!

Load - WTF is this bluesy garbage, where are the screaming solo's, wicked fast paced drums, MONSTER riffs.

Reload - it's official they suck ballz, more of the same bluesy poop, not my Metallica, and whos that chick singing???? chicks don't sing MEtallica!!!!

Garage inc - bastards! i've collected all these b-sides and spent so much god damn $$$ on everything and now they slap me in the face with this collection that everyone can get over the counter with no problem, I HATE YOU!

S&M - you've got to be kidding, there playing with an orchestra!!! what next, an album of Beethoven covers!!!

St. Anger - no solos, tuned to C#, easy to play, garbage can drums, poor production/lyrics, nu metal wannabees.....

I could go on for days, but instead I think that I'll pop in St. Anger and go kick someones azz
Old 06-23-03, 11:46 AM

Great post db27.

Originally posted by db27
This backlash is nothing new, it's happened on essentially every album...
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 06-23-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the backlash even compares from Kill to Black as it did from Black to now. I think that many that have grown up with Metallica from the beginning, without being a fanboy, notice that their best days have passed. The advertising for this new release was misleading and I am insulted that much better Metal albums are passed over because of just a name.
Old 06-23-03, 01:01 PM
Suspended

i got mighty sick of that other thread, so i just ran away from it. figured i'd throw my 2 cents in this one before it also got on my nerves!!

i get frustrated really quick in those threads, i don't know why though. it's the same old situation, happens anytime Metallica does anything!
hehe I feel the same way about Tool. Is it just me or does Metallica & Tool seem to get the most bashing of any other rock band today on these boards?
Old 06-23-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-23-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool
hehe I feel the same way about Tool. Is it just me or does Metallica & Tool seem to get the most bashing of any other rock band today on these boards?
Please. I never even knew TOOL were all that popular until the board opened up. After Sober, they pretty much fell off the radar as far as I knew.
Old 06-23-03, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jason
Please. I never even knew TOOL were all that popular until the board opened up. After Sober, they pretty much fell off the radar as far as I knew.

Is it just me or does Metallica & Tool seem to get the most bashing of any other rock band today on these boards?

Last edited by MJKTool; 06-23-03 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
One-hit wonders
Old 06-23-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

db27, I sincerely hope you don't think all, or even most, of those who dislike St. Anger or any other Metallica album do so for the "wrong" reasons you illustrated in your post above. There are other, more well-based reasons. And really, most people liked the eponymous album.
Old 06-23-03, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
db27, I sincerely hope you don't think all, or even most, of those who dislike St. Anger or any other Metallica album do so for the "wrong" reasons you illustrated in your post above. There are other, more well-based reasons. And really, most people liked the eponymous album.
no, i don't think all or even most dislike Metallica for the wrong reasons, but in general i hear it a lot. and people often hold a grudge. and in many ways, in today's music climate it's actually "cool" to dislike them.

i work in music retail, and in a college town, i hear so many negative comments on Metallica, much of it from people i suspect may not have even heard them!

can't wait, in a couple weeks i'll be amongst tons of my fellow fans in montreal and boston! woot!
Old 06-24-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
For what it's worth Keyser, I completely respect your opinion and the manner in which you present it. I just disagree.
But if that's the case... maybe you've never noticed my posting habits.

I basically make everything a joke... (just like this cd)

No harm done... it just cracks me up that people get so worked up over posts in forums. This is only the net', you know?

[In all honesty... I really don't like the new CD]

-k
###
Old 06-24-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
I do too.