Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ticketmaster--where's the outrage?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ticketmaster--where's the outrage?

Old 04-16-24, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 176 Likes on 133 Posts
Re: Ticketmaster--where's the outrage?

Originally Posted by Cusm
There needs to be more talk about Robert Smith and the last Cure tour to show how a tour can be ran. Not just ticket pricing but the artist fighting Ticketmaster fees and stopping scalpers.
Smithís one of the last that care about making their tour affordable and for the original ticket buyer. Iím gonna guess most popular artists like Ticketmaster. They get to have a scapegoat and still rake in the money. Zack Bryan tried to do the same thing with AXS with ID checks. He eventually went back to TM for the next tour.

Last edited by Kdogg; 04-16-24 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-16-24, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,399 Likes on 4,381 Posts

That's probably true for most artists. They like having a bad guy to blame ticket prices on. And most don't have the money that Smith has already.

Then there are the few heroes like Maggie Rogers who is actually physically selling her own tickets in person at the arenas with reduced cost and no mark up. Love her.
https://www.kqed.org/arts/13955839/m...e-chase-center
Old 04-16-24, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Today, that same ticket should be about $50. Today, the "fees" often cost more than the ticket should and the ticket itself costs about three times what it should going by the rate of inflation.
I just bought tickets for two upcoming shows (Iron & Wine and Paul Weller), and they were each about $45 per ticket (a little over $50 after fees).
They're both general-admission shows, but they're both also fairly small venues, so even the very back of the room is fine.
These artists aren't "huge", but they're also not some obscure unheard of artists either.
Old 04-16-24, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
That's probably true for most artists. They like having a bad guy to blame ticket prices on. And most don't have the money that Smith has already.

Then there are the few heroes like Maggie Rogers who is actually physically selling her own tickets in person at the arenas with reduced cost and no mark up. Love her.
https://www.kqed.org/arts/13955839/m...e-chase-center
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5oQRo8LY7F/
Good for her fans. Thatís the opposite of what most artists are doing. Even beyond the regular TM shenanigans Iíve seen them and artists move into these VIP arrangements. Outside of just Official Platinum, they markup some off the best seats by hundreds of dollars and include a lanyard, some cheap merch and/or preshow lounge access. Iíve got 10 concerts already booked for the year and 4 are doing that. Two of the five others Iím thinking about are also doing it.
Old 04-16-24, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
There needs to be more talk about Robert Smith and the last Cure tour to show how a tour can be ran. Not just ticket pricing but the artist fighting Ticketmaster fees and stopping scalpers.
The Cure/Smith is a mid-tier artist who can isn't big enough to set off a feeding frenzy like a Beyonce or Taylor Swift, but big enough to leverage their popularity to lower ticket prices.

I can't imagine the kind of chaos that would ensue if Taylor Swift did the same kind of cheap ticket ploy Smith pulled off. (And it appears that it worked out well for The Cure: https://americansongwriter.com/ticketmaster/ )
Old 04-16-24, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Cure/Smith is a mid-tier artist who can isn't big enough to set off a feeding frenzy like a Beyonce or Taylor Swift, but big enough to leverage their popularity to lower ticket prices.

I can't imagine the kind of chaos that would ensue if Taylor Swift did the same kind of cheap ticket ploy Smith pulled off. (And it appears that it worked out well for The Cure: https://americansongwriter.com/ticketmaster/ )
Swift did stop TM from double dipping by not allowing them to resell. Not that it mattered.
An other problem is "non transferable" is not "non transferable." The brokers have built whole systems to by pass it.
Old 04-16-24, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Swift did stop TM from double dipping by not allowing them to resell. Not that it mattered.
An other problem is "non transferable" is not "non transferable." The brokers have built whole systems to by pass it.
Not correct. Her tickets were available for resale (and still are) and were transferrable, there was just so much demand that few hit the market.
Old 04-16-24, 06:47 PM

Not correct. Her tickets were available for resale (and still are) and were transferrable, there was just so much demand that few hit the market.
I was referring to on Ticketmaster's platform. Tickets could not be relisted there which some artists restrict like Swift did. Adele does the same thing. So TM couldn't double dip on resells. I think the decision was made after the ticketing debacle of 2022. I'm aware that transfers were not disabled. That's why I said not having resells on Ticketmaster won't have mattered. In hindsight it might have said people some money because their fees for buyers is half of Stubhub.

Yup the decision was made after the mess.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ticketm...or-swift-tour/

Ticketmaster said it will not conduct resales for Swift's shows, but other websites are, with some tickets reaching tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited by Kdogg; 04-16-24 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-16-24, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

I recently purchased tickets to a Night Ranger show here (through eTix), and they are not releasing the tickets until 3 days before the show. They claim this is an effort to help with mass buying and reselling. (Probably wouldn't happen for this particular show anyway, but an interesting idea).
Old 04-16-24, 07:10 PM

I was referring to on Ticketmaster's platform. Tickets could not be relisted there which some artists restrict like Swift did. Adele does the same thing. So TM couldn't double dip on resells. I think the decision was made after the ticketing debacle of 2022. I'm aware that transfers were not disabled. That's why I said not having resells on Ticketmaster won't have mattered. In hindsight it might have said people some money because their fees for buyers is half of Stubhub.

Yup the decision was made after the mess.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ticketm...or-swift-tour/
Ah, okay. When you said "them" I thought you meant the tickets, but you meant TM. Interesting. I don't really know what problem that solves, but okay I guess. I've had tickets for several shows that disabled resale in one fashion or another. Never had one that disabled ticket resale to one distributor only.
Old 04-16-24, 09:10 PM

Ah, okay. When you said "them" I thought you meant the tickets, but you meant TM. Interesting. I don't really know what problem that solves, but okay I guess. I've had tickets for several shows that disabled resale in one fashion or another. Never had one that disabled ticket resale to one distributor only.
Don't think any. It's mainly performative. It's just supposed to make people feel better that TM is being punished somehow and importantly to show the government it's not abusing power.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (04-24-24)
Old 04-16-24, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
I recently purchased tickets to a Night Ranger show here (through eTix), and they are not releasing the tickets until 3 days before the show. They claim this is an effort to help with mass buying and reselling. (Probably wouldn't happen for this particular show anyway, but an interesting idea).
It doesn't work. TM does then same thing if the artist requests it. I have Hozer and Foo Fighter tickets that are not available (or transferable). There's only a countdown timer to three days before the event. Both shows are listed on the 3rd party resellers. I checked Seat Geek and the comments are "Notes from the seller - eTicket URL transferless transfer." They send you to a website with the barcode.
Isn't eTix print at home? Don't people just send a pdf of the ticket?
Old 04-16-24, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

It doesn't work. TM does then same thing if the artist requests it. I have Hozer and Foo Fighter tickets that are not available (or transferable). There's only a countdown timer to three days before the event. Both shows are listed on the 3rd party resellers. I checked Seat Geek and the comments are "Notes from the seller - eTicket URL transferless transfer." They send you to a website with the barcode.
Isn't eTix print at home? Don't people just send a pdf of the ticket?
Their claim is that they are also using that time to find any bots or voilating the order count and cancelling those orders. But yeah, those people wouldn't be out any money. In that case, just wouldn't be able to deliver. It's not perfect, but it may deter a few. Doesn't help with the amateur resellers.

Why aren't my tickets available?
To give everyone a fair shot, we temporarily delay delivery so that we can check for orders placed by bots or orders that did not adhere to ticket limits. This ensures all legitimate buyers have an equal chance to purchase tickets.
Old 05-23-24, 05:04 AM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts

U.S. House of Representatives Passes TICKET Act Calling for Better Pricing Transparency
https://pitchfork.com/news/us-house-...-transparency/

US DOJ could seek break up of Live Nation, Bloomberg News reports
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...ts-2024-05-22/
The following users liked this post:
devilshalo (05-23-24)
Old 05-23-24, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 841 Likes on 708 Posts

Token election year nonsense which I don't think will change much.
Old 05-24-24, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 400 Likes on 286 Posts

Burn it to the ground and see something worse arise. I hate live nation and TM