Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Looks like anyone can get a #1 hit these days

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-19-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"This Is The Night," by Clay Aiken, just debuted at Number One on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart. Debuted!! Ruben Studdard is, of course, right behind him at Number Two with "Flying Without Wings."

I'm stickin' to the adult contemporary stations at this point. I used to be so open-minded to music, would listen to the local Top 40 stations to learn all the new music out there...but this is going too far. Kelly Clarkson was bad enough...
Old 06-19-03, 12:34 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
Interesting how "America's choice" came in as #2. Clearly the voting on that show is wack.

At least these guys are better than that zero-talent Kelly Clarkson. That new movie of hers is so bad they aren't even screening it for critics.
Old 06-19-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

hopefully, the movie will be decent since I kind of have to go with my gf. (hey who knows, maybe doing this might give me a chance to get a little "further" in the relationship)
Old 06-19-03, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
hopefully, the movie will be decent since I kind of have to go with my gf. (hey who knows, maybe doing this might give me a chance to get a little "further" in the relationship)
If I were you I'd break up with her or kill myself before subjecting myself to that POS.
Old 06-19-03, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
If I were you I'd break up with her or kill myself before subjecting myself to that POS.
Old 06-19-03, 01:46 PM
Banned

The first review is in, and it's surprisingly good :

Justin and Kelly improve on Frankie and Annette

Annette and Frankie they aren't. And that's a good thing.

"From Justin to Kelly," the post "American Idol" concoction starring Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini, is 40 years removed from the similarly contrived "Beach Party" films with former Mouseketeer Annette Funicello and teen heartthrob Frankie Avalon.

It's also about 40 times better, which isn't a glowing recommendation. Re-watching "Beach Party" turns out to be worse than a third-degree sunburn, particulary when Annette sings "Treat Him Nicely" while gazing at her mirror image. The film also is rife with icky grownups. Didn't Robert Cummings, Dorothy Malone, Morey Amsterdam and Harvey Lembeck have any other options?

"From Justin to Kelly" -boys meet girls on spring break in Miami- works 12 listenable tunes into its connect-the-dots plot. Adults aren't a factor, leaving ample time for Clarkson and Guarini to earn a few credits toward their junior thespian degrees under the capable direction of Robert Iscove ("She's All That" and ABC's Emmy-nominated remake of "Cinderella").

Clarkson, pride of Burleson, Texas, is first seen singing in a dive Texas bar. Her level-headed character, Kelly Taylor, quickly joins best pals Alexa (Katherine Bailess) and Kaya (Anika Noni Rose) on a fun 'n' sun trip to the beach. Meanwhile, Justin Bell (Guarini) also is good to go with a "Pennslyvania Posse" that includes con artist Brandon (Greg Siff) and nerdy Eddie (Brian Dietzen).

It's only a matter of time - perhaps ten minutes- before Kelly and Justin lock eyes on the beach. But sexy Alexa's Alexis-style foul play keeps their lips at bay until the film's homestretch. "Anytime you need love, baby, I'm on your side," Justin finally sings to Texas' No. 1 Kelly girl. Backatcha, Curly.

Rated PG and actually tamer than that, the film's frequent musical breaks might leave lots of teenage boys wondering how their girlfriends got them into this instead of "The Hulk." "From Justin to Kelly" is hardly "West Side Story," but it could be considered a cousin twice removed. Gotta sing, gotta dance- most winningly in an energetic opening production number called "The Bounce."

It's all smoothly packaged and presented by 19 Entertainment, the UK based company that brought "American Idol" to these shores.

**1/2 out of ****

Ed Bark at the Dallas Morning News

PN : Groucho -----D
Old 06-19-03, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by mcbg1
The first review is in, and it's surprisingly good :

Justin and Kelly improve on Frankie and Annette

Annette and Frankie they aren't. And that's a good thing.

"From Justin to Kelly," the post "American Idol" concoction starring Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini, is 40 years removed from the similarly contrived "Beach Party" films with former Mouseketeer Annette Funicello and teen heartthrob Frankie Avalon.

It's also about 40 times better, which isn't a glowing recommendation. Re-watching "Beach Party" turns out to be worse than a third-degree sunburn, particulary when Annette sings "Treat Him Nicely" while gazing at her mirror image. The film also is rife with icky grownups. Didn't Robert Cummings, Dorothy Malone, Morey Amsterdam and Harvey Lembeck have any other options?

"From Justin to Kelly" -boys meet girls on spring break in Miami- works 12 listenable tunes into its connect-the-dots plot. Adults aren't a factor, leaving ample time for Clarkson and Guarini to earn a few credits toward their junior thespian degrees under the capable direction of Robert Iscove ("She's All That" and ABC's Emmy-nominated remake of "Cinderella").

Clarkson, pride of Burleson, Texas, is first seen singing in a dive Texas bar. Her level-headed character, Kelly Taylor, quickly joins best pals Alexa (Katherine Bailess) and Kaya (Anika Noni Rose) on a fun 'n' sun trip to the beach. Meanwhile, Justin Bell (Guarini) also is good to go with a "Pennslyvania Posse" that includes con artist Brandon (Greg Siff) and nerdy Eddie (Brian Dietzen).

It's only a matter of time - perhaps ten minutes- before Kelly and Justin lock eyes on the beach. But sexy Alexa's Alexis-style foul play keeps their lips at bay until the film's homestretch. "Anytime you need love, baby, I'm on your side," Justin finally sings to Texas' No. 1 Kelly girl. Backatcha, Curly.

Rated PG and actually tamer than that, the film's frequent musical breaks might leave lots of teenage boys wondering how their girlfriends got them into this instead of "The Hulk." "From Justin to Kelly" is hardly "West Side Story," but it could be considered a cousin twice removed. Gotta sing, gotta dance- most winningly in an energetic opening production number called "The Bounce."

It's all smoothly packaged and presented by 19 Entertainment, the UK based company that brought "American Idol" to these shores.

**1/2 out of ****

PN : Groucho -----D
Wrong forum...
Old 06-19-03, 02:21 PM
mwj

**1/2 out of ****

Is this guy real or a made-up studio shill? I smell a quote whore if he actually exists.
Old 06-19-03, 02:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You can't beat Sir Clifford Richard..
Old 06-19-03, 02:30 PM

Whoa! Based on that review I think I will now check out this movie. Thanks!
Old 06-19-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
Interesting how "America's choice" came in as #2. Clearly the voting on that show is wack.
Not entirely. A lot of people watch the show (myself included) who would never buy albums by any of these people. I enjoy the show, not the music.

I imagine Reuben got a lot of votes from people who would never buy his album. Clay on the other hand, had tons of teenage girls and gay men waiting for his album to come out.
Old 06-19-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars
Clay on the other hand, had tons of teenage girls and gay men waiting for his album to come out.
Clay's long lost brother could be Danny Pirardo (the kid from "Who's The Boss")
Old 06-19-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
So is mcbg1 just going to post that review in a thread anytime someone dares to be anti-"Idol"?