DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Ozzy Osbourne and Alice Cooper -- Servants of Satan! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/299627-ozzy-osbourne-alice-cooper-servants-satan.html)

Josh-da-man 06-17-03 04:11 AM

Ozzy Osbourne and Alice Cooper -- Servants of Satan!

Could it be... SATAN?!?!

http://www.av1611.org/rock/ozzy.html

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/alice-...challenge.html

Ahhh... It's like 1986 all over again! This brings back some memories.

Jason 06-17-03 07:53 AM

rotfl

LiquidSky 06-18-03 07:49 AM

What a bunch of sad twats :) Reminds me of that nut Fred Phelps blaming gay people for the 9/11 attacks :rolleyes:

custom001 06-18-03 08:09 AM

rotfl

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-029.gif http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-035.gif

JestersTear 06-18-03 09:18 AM

I love religious nuts. They make for the best entertainment... especially when they're right in front of you and you can goad them into having fits.

das Monkey 06-18-03 09:23 AM

Yeah, long live the Beast.

I urge you to lift up a voice just as loud and enthusiastic to welcome young people to Jesus Christ and to boldly and explicitly renounce everything you did in the past and the evils of rock music in general.
They forgot dancing. How can you denounce the evils of rock music if you don't condemn dancing?

das

Penny Lane 06-18-03 09:40 AM

Wow. Satan might want to reassess his judgment of how effective Ozzy is at converting children to the dark side. The guy can barely speak!

Scot1458 06-18-03 11:25 AM

Alice is a born again Christian.

Ozzy's tv show shows brings more shame to him than any protests could do.

Richard Malloy 06-18-03 12:32 PM

Only the truly deluded, the desperately superstitious, and wacko paranoid could consider this pair to be a threat to anything more than the occasional eardrum.

Which is all good for a laugh when we used to think this sorta thinking was confined to the Dark Ages, at least in terms of institutionalizing a religious order. But it's been rather abruptly brought to our attention that such societies still exist in the world, ruling by fear on the basis of whatever divinely-inspired book the local bullies adhere to. And so I find it difficult to dismiss the homegrown variety with a chuckle any longer.

cactusoly 06-18-03 06:46 PM

Alice isn't born again, but is the son of a preacher. He said in an interview that the only thing he won't make fun of is organized religion because he believes in God. If you look at Alice Cooper's stage show and music there is nothing satanic about it. He has some really sick thems, but they are not satanic.

In fact in another interview he states that he doesn't agree with some of the themes Marylin Manson has presented.

cactusoly 06-18-03 06:57 PM

As for Ozzy and his lyrics ... Geezer Butler wrote most of the Sabbath lyrics. They don't mention the song "After Forever" which is a very pro-religious song.

DodgingCars 06-19-03 12:25 PM

Originally posted by cactusoly
Alice isn't born again, but is the son of a preacher. He said in an interview that the only thing he won't make fun of is organized religion because he believes in God. If you look at Alice Cooper's stage show and music there is nothing satanic about it. He has some really sick thems, but they are not satanic.

In fact in another interview he states that he doesn't agree with some of the themes Marylin Manson has presented.

No.. Alice is a born against Christian. Have you heard his last few albums? Seen any of his recent interviews? He won't even perform some of his old songs anymore because he thinks they are inappropriate.

There was a big article/interview with Alice Cooper in HM Magazine (Christian music mag) about a year ago. It talked a lot about his faith and the changes in his life and music

Here's a link to an article about his beliefs:
http://www.almenconi.com/news/apr02/042902.html

cactusoly 06-20-03 03:20 PM

Which songs will alice not perform? please tell, I've seen every tour since 86. Songs such as "I Love The Dead", "Steven", and "Dead Babies" have all been played recently. You dont get much more controversial than them.

For recent albums:

By the way the entire Dragontown CD is about different charactors in HELL.

In the song "Gimme" from Brutal Planet Alice plays the devil (listen to the lyrics)

On the Last Temptation album Alice again plays the Devil who tempts Steven

I'm not saying Alice is a satanist, he just writes about a wide variety of controverial topics.

He is a very underrated song writer and still the best performer in the business. Everyone else is just a wanna be.

DodgingCars 06-20-03 03:40 PM

Which songs will alice not perform? please tell, I've seen every tour since 86. Songs such as "I Love The Dead", "Steven", and "Dead Babies" have all been played recently. You dont get much more controversial than them.

For recent albums:

By the way the entire Dragontown CD is about different charactors in HELL.

In the song "Gimme" from Brutal Planet Alice plays the devil (listen to the lyrics)

On the Last Temptation album Alice again plays the Devil who tempts Steven

I'm not saying Alice is a satanist, he just writes about a wide variety of controverial topics.

He is a very underrated song writer and still the best performer in the business. Everyone else is just a wanna be.

I would suggest getting ahold of the issue of HM with the interview. Their website is http://www.hmmagazine.com/ -- though it looks like they made some changes and their back issue orders aren't up right now.

He said he won't play anything that about lust or sexual promiscuity.. I'm not sure if he named songs.

As for those songs you mentioned... There's a point to them. He said many of those songs are actually meant to warn people about Hell.

Controversial? I have no doubt. Alice said he's not trying to be a spokesman for Christianity. He's just a rock star who happens to be Christian now.

DodgingCars 06-20-03 03:45 PM

Here are some other lyrics from Alice Cooper's Last Temptation:

(apparently sung to Satan)

I don't know but I've been told
The streets of hell are paved with gold
Crazy, crazy
You told me that nothing's free
Except my own insanity
Crazy, maybe
Wake me, shake me
Wake me, shake me

You offer me the world and all its wealth
All for myself
You promised me a life eternally
And drink to my health
I may seem only half-glued
But I can see right through you

Burn it up, burn it down
Burn this sucker to the ground
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Going, going, going, gone
There's a party going on
And on, and on, and on

Do you think I don't know who you are
A fallen star
When I feel my soul scream out at night
I know you're not far
You need a better disguise
This one won't win any prize

Burn it up, burn it down
Burn this sucker to the ground
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Going, going, going, gone
There's a party going on
And on, and on, and on

Cleansed by fire, cleansed by fire
I may seem only half-glued
But I can see right through you

What about dark
What about light
What about wrong
What about right
What about death
What about sin
What about the web you're trying to spin

What about truth
What about life
What about glory
What about Christ
What about peace
What about love
What about faith in God above
What about war
What about hell
What if I stumble
What if I fell
What about blood
What about greed
And all of these things you're offering me

Yeah, what about me, little me
You lose and I win
You couldn't suck me in
It's over, you have no power
You're lost And I'm found
And I'm Heaven bound
Go back to where you belong
To where you fell
Go to hell

DodgingCars 06-20-03 03:51 PM

Or this one.. Where he's trying to overcome temptation (alcohol?):

Don't touch your lips
Don't wear your hair like that
I feel your presence all around me
Don't get too close
Don't move your eyes like that
Because they're deep enough to drown me
It don't get hot like this in Heaven
You fool me with your angel face
Your master knows where I'm my weakest

Mercy please, I'm on my knees
You're my temptation
Measure my faith, the devil's awake
He knows you're my temptation

Don't call my name
Don't brush my cheek like that
I curse the day that I found you
Don't touch my skin
Don't dance around like that
I feel damnation all around you
And so I raise my voice to Heaven
Please hide me in some holy place
Protect my soul, I'm only human

You're my temptation
Look down and see
Deliver me from my dark sensation
Give me faith, don't let me waste
You're my temptation

Come to me
You're such a liar
Won't you come to me
Move closer to the fire
Just come to me
No, no, no
Won't you come to me
I will set you free
No, no, no

You're my temptation
Measure my faith, the devil's awake
He knows you're my temptation
You're my temptation
Go away in Heaven's name
You're my temptation
Go away, just go away
My dark sensation

cactusoly 06-20-03 04:38 PM

Alice has always had a religious background, this is nothing that just recently happened. I don't think Alice has really changed his lyrics or writing style due to new found beleifs. His subject matter over the years has little to do with his religious beliefs. He just writes about controversial topics that relate to society at that particular point in time.
Although some songs are about the Devil, or necrofilia (sp?) and everything else imaginable, it has always been done with a sick sense of humor that makes Alice so great. His sense of humor is one thing that separates Alice from hacks such as Maralyn Manson who actually tells people to denounce God or religion.
Regardless, a lot of Christan dogma still woud lable Alice as a sinner regaurdless of the intentions or humor in his subject matter. \m/ O \m/

DodgingCars 06-20-03 04:49 PM

Alice has always had a religious background, this is nothing that just recently happened. I don't think Alice has really changed his lyrics or writing style due to new found beleifs. His subject matter over the years has little to do with his religious beliefs. He just writes about controversial topics that relate to society at that particular point in time.
Although some songs are about the Devil, or necrofilia (sp?) and everything else imaginable, it has always been done with a sick sense of humor that makes Alice so great. His sense of humor is one thing that separates Alice from hacks such as Maralyn Manson who actually tells people to denounce God or religion.
Regardless, a lot of Christan dogma still woud lable Alice as a sinner regaurdless of the intentions or humor in his subject matter. \m/ O \m/

I part of the interview here:

http://www.hmmagazine.com/oe/archives/000148.php (part 1)
http://www.hmmagazine.com/oe/archives/000148.php (part 2)

A lot of your music has had the appearance of being somewhat autobiographical in nature. Take From The Inside era, for example. And the trilogy you wrote that began with The Last Temptation seemed to mimic this trait as well. What kind of price have you paid or benefits have you seen from freely sharing a part of yourself in your art?

"Well, I think that a writer ?? especially a lyric writer ?? is always going to be confessing at all times. No matter what he does, he's always going to be talking about what he thinks, what he believes. Even if it's in irony, if it's in story, if it's in whatever ?? you're always revealing a lot about yourself. From The Inside was definitely written about my alcoholism. The Last Temptation to me was a good storyline, because it was about a kid that was offered everything... And, of course, it was a parallel of Christ being tempted in the wilderness. But this kid gets offered everything. You think, ??Well, he's going to buy into it. He's going to join this guy's circus.' And the circus, of course, is like a synonym for the world. The showman was a synonym for a satanic thing. So, this guy's offering him sex, women, money, fame, and the catch at the end of it is the kid doesn't buy into it. I was trying to make the point that you don't have to buy into it. I was trying to make the point that, Hollywood tells you, ??If you're 15 and you haven't been laid yet and you're not high all the time, then there's something wrong with you.' I think that's the worst message that you can give a kid. He's got all his life to deal with that. Why are we forcing him into all these heavy things when he's 14? Well, it's because it makes money. That album in particular was saying, ??Don't buy into it. You don't have to.' In fact, you're the hero when you don't buy into it. Now, for Alice Cooper to be saying that, it obviously makes people that were Alice Cooper fans before kind of take a step backwards and say, ??What a minute! This is the same Alice Cooper that was selling sex, death, and money!' And I'm like, ??Exactly, but I'm not him anymore. Now Alice . . . there's a change of heart. There's a change of what I believe. Now I'm telling you, with more authority, that you don't have to buy into that.' And when they say, ??How dare you!' I go, ??Well, you know, I'm not going to sell as many albums doing this, but I don't care about that. The fact is, there may be some kids out there that listen to that and go, ??Wow, good. The pressure's off. Now I don't have to go try to get laid every weekend. Or I don't have to try to get stoned just so I can be part of the guys. I can be like Alice. I can do what Alice does.' And really, it's not what I'm saying, it's what Christ said! I'm just trying to echo what He would want you to do. But it's funny that I have to use the Alice Cooper character to get that point across.

"The funny thing was that The Last Temptation really wasn't part of the trilogy. That was on its own. That was the first thing I wrote as a Christian. And then, it was six years before I wrote Brutal Planet. Brutal Planet was a whole different story. Brutal Planet was a story that was talking about, ??What's the world like? Let's get a picture of the future 50 years from now, when all of the systems have failed ?? church, family, school, politics, every system has failed, and there's no God. Let's say that no one believes in God. Well, what have we got? Now we've got Brutal Planet ?? this horrible place that nobody wants to be. That's what that album was about. Dragontown was part two of that, which was a little bit more character driven. I was kind of like showing you characters that are there. The point on that one is, ??You can even be a nice guy and be in Hell. The road to Hell is littered with nice guys with good intentions.' Part three is in the works right now."

DodgingCars 06-20-03 04:53 PM

Any hints or directions you're going to take there?

"Well, I think I'm going to solidify the fact that once you're there, you're there. You don't work your way out of Hell. You don't work your way into Heaven and you don't work your way out of Hell. The work's already been done by Christ to get to Heaven, and by not accepting, that's what gets you into Hell. And so, that's not going to be a popular thing, either. But, you know, it's really not my job to make it popular. It's my job to make a great sounding album and to make people go, ??Wow! What a cool album!' And then when they start listening to it, they get the message."

cactusoly 06-20-03 05:45 PM

Good interview. Regardless Alice is the greatest regardless if he is a Christian or Jewish or worships beavers. Religious groups are going to criticize him no matter once.

I had the opportunity of meeting Alice almost a year ago back stage on the Dragontown tour. He was very friendly and humble.

Alice still rules, anyone else is a cheap rip off.

DodgingCars 06-20-03 05:51 PM

Good interview. Regardless Alice is the greatest regardless if he is a Christian or Jewish or worships beavers. Religious groups are going to criticize him no matter once.

I had the opportunity of meeting Alice almost a year ago back stage on the Dragontown tour. He was very friendly and humble.

Alice still rules, anyone else is a cheap rip off.

Just because he's a Christian doesn't mean he can't worship beavers... he just reserves his worship for one beaver now. ;)