Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

BestBuy Rhapsody Digital Music Online

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-16-03, 11:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just discovered that BestBuy has a digital music service Rhapsody.
http://www.listen.com/bestbuy/
Basically, if you subscribed you pay $9.95 a month and pay $0.79 for each song you burn. Its pretty cool to listen to new songs and sample them. Check it out!
Old 06-17-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts
how many songs, and what kind of music do they have? I'd love to download a ton of metal stuff I don't want to buy the full album for. Are they mp3s? The free trial info is very vague.
Old 06-17-03, 12:50 AM
Banned

They are not MP3s. Rhapsody is streaming service. It's good if you listen to music on your PC and not on cds. Good to check out stuff before you buy.
Old 06-17-03, 02:22 PM

Yes they are. You pay essentially ten bucks a month to stream unlimited amounts of music. If you want to download an MP3 (keep in mind that not all the stream tracks are available in this format) you pay $0.79 or whatever per track. This is well worth it for work (especially if you have a tiny HD like I do), but I highly recommend taking advantage of the free trial b/c although their library is huge, there are some gaps.
Old 10-15-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have a 14 days free trial. I'm checking it out right now and I love it... but I haven't decided whether or not its worth my $10/mo. I listen to music from my computer everyday at work -- Usually by ripping my own CDs to my work harddrive -- but with this I wouldn't have to do that, I could just stream the music. Plus, It's great for checking out new albums... even if I didn't want to burn it at $.79 a track, I can stream it to see if I like it enough to buy the actual CD. They have new releases instantly (providing they already have a deal with the record label).

On top of that, you can create "radio stations." Basically, I give them 10 bands I like and they will play music that is like those 10 bands (including music by those bands themselves) -- and they'll play music that they don't offer on their normal streaming service. You can fast forward to the next song, etc. It lets you create several channels... so you can have like: punk, alternative, rap, country, etc.

So far, I really like it. The quality is fair -- probably equivalent to what you'd get over FM. I haven't tried to burn, so I don't know what the quality there is.