Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pleasant surprises

Old 06-16-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pleasant surprises

What are some of the best surprises you've had in a record store? I've talked about a couple in the past, but I'll re-post them in here for posterity's sake.

Most of these are discs that I've been meaning to get for awhile, but I'm just now actually taking the time to seek them out.

Gang of Four - Entertainment!: I was actually looking for a Gastr Del Sol disc that I requested when I came across this at my local store. It was the only GoF album they had in stock and one that I was about to pay a steep import price to get. This one was a whopping $10.

Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain: This one jumped out at a Best Buy for $9.99 when I was pricing a couple discs. I immediately forgot what I was looking for...

Spoon - A Series of Sneaks (Merge re-release): For a long time I thought this disc was out of print (being the disc before Spoon was dropped) and the re-issue hadn't become evident to me until I stumbled across it in late 2002 while pricing albums. The release itself is enough of a gem, but the two tongue-in-cheek singles tagged on the end make it a great package. Only $13.
Old 06-17-03, 12:10 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Funny, the 1st CD that popped in my mind after reading the thread title was Spoon - Series of Sneaks only to find it on your list. Except I found it in a "sidewalk sale" for $1.00 last November. I also found Therapy?-Nurse and a few others for just as cheap. A lot of digging but worth the tedious search. I'm still gloating about those finds and damn well near 8 months have gone by since then!

Your thread title and first paragraph more makes me think about bargain bin/used CD/flea market/ etc. surprise finds instead of finding anything new.

Anyone in the Phoenix area who doesn't already know about Rockaway Records in Mesa should check it out. Put your name on their mailing list and they'll send you a postcard for their special sales. I've found some gems as mentioned above and some cool DVDs for less than $3 (e.g. Singles).

P.S. Yes, I believe Series of Sneaks is OOP but definitely a lot easier to find than Telephono.
Old 06-17-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost half of my 600+ collection have a Rockaway Records price sticker on them.

Just went and randomly picked one out of the rack:

01/20/95
Rockaway Records
$5.99

Clutch - Transnational Speedway League: Anthems, Anecdotes and Undeniable Truths
Old 06-17-03, 01:28 PM

As we've virtually hijacked this thread... is Rockaway Records that much better than Zia? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the drive for me...

Back to the topic at hand... whenever I go to a store to buy CDs, I usually go there with a specific CD or set of CDs in mind, so it's hard to surprise me... I did find a few new Sleater-Kinney CDs for $6.99 recently, which seemed, well, low to me.
Old 06-17-03, 01:43 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Originally posted by SAShepherd
As we've virtually hijacked this thread... is Rockaway Records that much better than Zia? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the drive for me...

Back to the topic at hand... whenever I go to a store to buy CDs, I usually go there with a specific CD or set of CDs in mind, so it's hard to surprise me... I did find a few new Sleater-Kinney CDs for $6.99 recently, which seemed, well, low to me.
SAShepherd, shoot me an e-mail from the address link above. Your e-mail icon is turned off.
Old 06-18-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SAShepherd

I like Rockaway a lot better than Zia. Unfortunately, time and money constraints have kept me away for a long time.

When you have the time to spend a couple of hours going through their used stuff, you'll most likely find the trip to be worthwhile.
Old 06-19-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jarsim
P.S. Yes, I believe Series of Sneaks is OOP but definitely a lot easier to find than Telephono.
I think I heard a rumor that Merge is also talking about re-releasing that? I might be mistaken...