Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Today's CDs (6/16/03)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs (6/16/03)

Old 06-17-03, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve - I don't know what other shows are going on, but we should at least grab a bite to eat somewhere while you're around. I have to help a friend move at some point next week (didn't this happen last time you were in town? ugh), but I should be around for a majority of your trip. Where is the Tractor Kings show? I didn't see a listing for it in my 'usual' venues.

To keep things on topic:
Spacemen 3 - "Perfect Prescription"
Karate - "In Place of Real Insight"
Console - "Reset the Preset"
Brian Eno - "Another Green World"
Old 06-17-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ash - Free All Angels
The Clash - The Essential Clash
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
Old 06-17-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Gdrlv

Unfortunately, much of the disc is really conventional. It's not that it's happier than any other eels album...it's that it's a little boring. "Saturday Morning" is probably the worst offender, and "Restraining Order Blues" isn't far behind.
Unfortunately, I've got to agree with this assessment. It's not a bad album, but I am disappointed with how conventional most of it sounds. The only song that really sticks out for me is "Fashion Awards". Then again, I've been too busy listening to the new FoW to spend much time with "Shootenany". My opinion of it may change a bit (though probably not much) with future listenings. I also think that my feelings about "Shootenany" come from having such high expectations. I may be in the minority, but I thought that "Souljacker" was an excellent album, surpasses only by "Electro-Shock Blues" (and possibly "Daisies of the Galaxy").

A few comments about some other albums listed in this thread...

The new Pernice Brothers CD - Again, my high expectations may be the reason for my disappointment. Nothing on the album really stands out. I found it a bit dull. Of course, this too may change a bit with future listening.

Ed Harcourt - I've got "Here Be Monsters", but I haven't picked up the new CD, yet. I once read a review that referred to Harcourt as "a more conventional/commercial Tom Waits". I don't really agree with that, but it was an interesting quote, and it was the review that first made me interested in Harcourt.

Hail To The Thief - I got a copy from a friend, but I haven't listened to it, yet...partially because I've been too busy obsessing over the new FoW and various Elvis Costello albums...and partially because I was so indifferent towards "Kid A" and "Amnesiac". I'll have to give it a spin later this week.

The Thorns - As Gdrlv posted, it's good but not great. Worth picking up for the price, but nothing I'm overly excited about.

Iron and Wine - "Creek Drank The Cradle" was near the top of my list for best albums of 2002, A near flawless album. I cannot wait for some new material.

For the Elvis Costello fans here, I should point out that the next batch of reissues has been delayed. I believe that they are now set for a September (or perhaps it was August?) release. I haven't heard any news yet on what the bonus discs will contain.

Also, I just found out that there's a new Clem Snide CD out. Anyone heard it yet? Any reviews or comments?

jim
Old 06-18-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Unfortunately, I've got to agree with this assessment. It's not a bad album, but I am disappointed with how conventional most of it sounds. The only song that really sticks out for me is "Fashion Awards". Then again, I've been too busy listening to the new FoW to spend much time with "Shootenany". My opinion of it may change a bit (though probably not much) with future listenings. I also think that my feelings about "Shootenany" come from having such high expectations. I may be in the minority, but I thought that "Souljacker" was an excellent album, surpasses only by "Electro-Shock Blues" (and possibly "Daisies of the Galaxy").

Ed Harcourt - I've got "Here Be Monsters", but I haven't picked up the new CD, yet. I once read a review that referred to Harcourt as "a more conventional/commercial Tom Waits". I don't really agree with that, but it was an interesting quote, and it was the review that first made me interested in Harcourt.

jim
"Fashion Awards" really does seem typical of an Eels song, doesn't it? The pretty music with disturbing lyrics? I thought Souljacker was a good album, too, but I wish E would lose the distortion over his voice that he seems to have grown attached to.

You really should pick up "From Every Sphere. I'm not going to say it's better than Here Be Monsters, because I think that "Beneath the Heart of Darkness" alone is better than anything on FES. But it's still a great disc.
Old 06-18-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I'm going with that I really like Jess Harris's The Secret Sun album. The lyrics are good and the music is pretty interesting. It's also not so long that it gets boring. His duet with Norah Jones is a really pretty good too. Their voices work well together.
Old 06-18-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by Penny Lane
Hey, fill us in on the new Mogwai when you've had a chance to listen to it. I thought about buying it, but there's so much other stuff to buy!
After a few listens the word that comes to mind is brooding. It's sort of melancholy, in a GYBE! kinda way, without being as ominous. Oh, and the title is definitely sarcastic. Good stuff, gets my recommendation.
Old 06-18-03, 01:22 PM
Banned

Radiohead-Hail to the Thief (Amazing album by the best band on earth. "There There" is just beautiful)

Four Tet-Rounds (Electronica with emotion. The melodies are just great. "My Angel rocks back and forth" and "Unspoken" are amazing pieces of music)

Fountains of Wayne-Welcome Interstate Managers (Great pop album. The perfect summer album)

The Verve-A Northern Soul (An oldie but goodie. "On your Own" and "History" > j00!)
Old 06-18-03, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by RevLiver
After a few listens the word that comes to mind is brooding. It's sort of melancholy, in a GYBE! kinda way, without being as ominous. Oh, and the title is definitely sarcastic. Good stuff, gets my recommendation.
cool! I like GYBE! (although I hate their name)
Old 06-18-03, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cool! I like GYBE! (although I hate their name)
I thought they were now called GY!BE or G!YBE. And, yes, I am being serious.

Whatever they're called, I do like 'em...
Old 06-18-03, 03:42 PM

It's GY!BE.

I don't like them.
Old 06-18-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Yancey
It's GY!BE.

I don't like them.
I think that one of their albums was interesting. Everything else bored me to tears.

Today I've been spinning the Starflyer 59 catalog focussing on Americana.
Old 06-18-03, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I think that one of their albums was interesting. Everything else bored me to tears.
Agreed:

http://www.citypages.com/databank/24...ticle11268.asp

Today:

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
Junior Senior - D-d-don't Stop the Beat
The Lonesome Organist - The Lonesome Organist
Old 06-18-03, 05:02 PM

It's GY!BE.

I don't like them.
I really like Yanqui U.X.O.. That's the only one of their cds I've really heard, though.
Old 06-18-03, 05:39 PM

Today:
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
What do you think of this? I've seen enough splendid reviews that I'm thinking of getting it. I'm not sure I'd agree with the review, but at least I'd enjoy reading it.

Oh, and glad to see you writing for the CityPages. I really enjoyed reading that when I lived in the Twin Cities -- loved their music writing, and the fact that they had sports writing, too.
Old 06-19-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I really like Yanqui U.X.O.. That's the only one of their cds I've really heard, though.
I still like their debut, f# a# infinity, the best. The spoken word snippets make this album.
Old 06-19-03, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by SAShepherd
What do you think of this? I've seen enough splendid reviews that I'm thinking of getting it. I'm not sure I'd agree with the review, but at least I'd enjoy reading it.

Oh, and glad to see you writing for the CityPages. I really enjoyed reading that when I lived in the Twin Cities -- loved their music writing, and the fact that they had sports writing, too.
It's funny about the BSS record. My girlfriend loves them, and I got a promo of the thing maybe four months ago and I had never listened to it. Then earlier this week the CityPages editor asked me to interview BSS this week for a feature. So I'm talking to them tonight. In any case, I fully expected to be bored silly by the thing, but it's really tremendous. Songs sound like everything from late period Flaming Lips (which I hate, but it's alright here) to the Pumpkins' "1979" (the track "Stars and Sons") to early Paul Simon to Wilco. All over the place. But yeah, I'd be willing to bet that you, stevevt, fallow, alyshoka, penny lane and mike1978 would all dig this (oliverclothesoff too, but I don't think he's around anymore).
Old 06-19-03, 04:20 PM

the broken social scene album is mega. I love it, Yancey's right--it definitely is all over the place. Lover's spit reminds me a bit of Jeff Buckley and is easily my favorite track on the album.
Old 06-19-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All over the place. But yeah, I'd be willing to bet that you, stevevt, fallow, alyshoka, penny lane and mike1978 would all dig this (oliverclothesoff too, but I don't think he's around anymore).
It's been on my radar/list for a while now, but I haven't picked it up yet. I'll try to post a mini review when I get it.

Also, mike1978 needs to check his (lycos) email...
Old 06-19-03, 05:59 PM

Check your mail, Steve. I actually have a promo copy of that BSS album that may be lost forever. I did enjoy what I heard, but the album magically disappeared after one listen.

I'm off to see the Dismemberment Plan's last show in Chicago later tonight. It should be a good time.

Last edited by mike1978; 06-19-03 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But yeah, I'd be willing to bet that you, stevevt, fallow, alyshoka, penny lane and mike1978 would all dig this (oliverclothesoff too, but I don't think he's around anymore).
I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of that BSS disc, but I've heard a lot of songs off of it - perhaps all aside from the interludes like "Pitter Patter Goes My Heart." What I've heard is definitely straight up my alley..."Stars and Sons" being my all out favorite; probably my favorite single of 2003 so far.

-edit to add-

I guess I'll update what I listened to today. I dug through some of my uncle's old vinyl and came across original recordings of The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed, Carole King Tapestry and The Beatles Abbey Road. Needless to say I had a little personal listening party. He said he'd give them to me...I can't wait to move them to my place.

Last edited by fallow; 06-19-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-20-03, 09:55 AM

They were very good live last night, but the interview sucked. Very untalkative, and even when I tried to provoke them I got nada. Worst interview I've ever done.