Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs (6/10)

Old 06-10-03, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's CDs (6/10)

Pete Yorn - musicforthemorningafter
Diana Krall - The Look of Love
Dixie Chicks - Home
Paul Simon - Graceland
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions

Question of the Day... OK, rather than comment on the previous poster's CDs, briefly comment on some (or all) of your own...

Pete Yorn -- picked this up recently. Good pop, would be a much better album at 35-40 minutes than at 55 minutes.
Diana Krall -- Man, I loved "All For You," but ever since then she's played less and less piano and she's had more and more strings on her CDs. Not what I like most in her.
Dixie Chicks -- borrowed from library; just as good (or bad, depending on your perspective) as their previous albums.
Paul Simon -- also picked this up recently (though I remember listening to it when it first came out). Great album.
Cowboy Junkies -- borrowed from co-worker. Had never heard it before, though I remembered their version of "Sweet Jane". Nice, but perhaps a bit too mellow for my taste.
Old 06-10-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

I just picked this one up a few hours ago. From what I've heard it is pretty decent, however, for some reason it doesn't seem as fresh as many of their other albums did when they were released. It hasn't hit me as something very cool like OK Computer. It hasn't made me think differently about them as artists like Kid A and Amnesiac did. The packaging is done pretty well, and I was able to find it for under 10 bucks. Not a bad purchase.
Old 06-10-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Fountains of Wayne - Welcome Interstate Managers (have only listened to the first 5 songs, but it's practically perfect so far. So glad to have FoW back...)

Sigur Ros - Untitled # 1 CD Single and DVD (also excellent...just as good as everything on ( ))

eels - Shootenany! (not as good or weighty as Electro Shock Blues or Daisies of the Galaxy, but still very tuneful and listenable)

Phish - Live Phish 19 (from 1991's horn tour...very good stuff and man, they sound young)
Old 06-10-03, 05:46 PM

Radiohead-HTTT--blah blah blah, outstanding. Probably my second favorite after the Bends

Liz Phair-Exile in Guyville-Pulled it out after seeing her at Field Day. Very raw and hungry sounding

Ladytron-Light and Magic- Always irresistable

Wham-Make it Big!- Classics
Old 06-10-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re-Release of a great Christian rock album. Only $6.99 at BB.
Old 06-11-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. REM - Murmur (I could spout all kinds of ejaculatory praise about this record, but I'm sure everyone knows how wonderful it is anyway.)
2. The Walkmen - Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me is Gone (it seems like the 2002 lists came out and then everyone forgot about The Walkmen, but I still love this disc. It's deliciously sloppy and fresh.)
3. The Pixies - Surfer Rosa (read comments to number 1)
4. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Hearts of Oak (one of my favorites of 2003 so far. Great guitar pop and a great voice to boot.)
5. Radiohead - Hail to the Thief (I commented on this in the other thread, but I'll summarize here: first listen left me underwhelmed by only offering a couple stupendous tracks - Sit Down. Stand Up, Scatterbrain, There there, and A Wolf at the Door being some of my faves - but otherwise it just didn't snag me. But the beauty of Radiohead always develops over time with me. That is why they are one of my favorite bands after all.)
Old 06-11-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SSION, Minor Treat: Frantic no-wave. Good EP, better live.
English Beat, I Just Can't Stop It: A great two-tone record.
UI, Answers: A post-rock/math-rock record that I would've gone ape***** for five years ago. Bores me now.
Serial P.O.P., White Sex Male: Scottish neo-wave. So-so.
90 Day Men, Too Late or Too Dead: New EP (comes out in October) that continues the To Everybody sound. It's growing on me. New album comes out in March (but I should have a copy next week!).
Skating Club, Bugs & Flowers and Skating Club: I have to interview them later this week. It sounds like Grandaddy.
Old 06-11-03, 06:10 PM

Wire - "Pink Flag"
Rex - "3"
The Jam - "Live at the BBC"