DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Top 5 Favorite Live albums (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/297604-top-5-favorite-live-albums.html)

Rocky_Stallone 06-08-03 06:47 AM

Top 5 Favorite Live albums

Simply name your Top 5 favorite live concert albums here, here are mine in order:

1. Led Zeppelin "How the West Was Won"
(Truly the best live album ever made in the history of music, this is just simply amazing. Most of the Led Zeppelin bootlegs are crappy sounding, and I'm so happy that Jimmy Page finally released a live album with truly amazing sound)

2. Led Zeppelin "BBC Sessions"
(Another great Led Zeppelin live album. Both albums "How the West Was Won" and "BBC" has same songs but different concerts. All songs through both albums sound totally different. The thing I love about Jimmy Page is that he is so great at making a 25 minute song that sounds like a 3 minute song)

3. Jimi Hendrix "Live at the Filmore East"
(Out of all the Jimi Hendrix live albums, the Filmore is my favorite one. This is Hendrix at his best right here with Buddy Miles and Billy Cox were absolutely amazing musicians)

4. Nirvana "MTV Unplugged In New York"
(Everytime I listen to this album, it made me feel like I'm there watching the show, that is how special this album really is)

5. David Bowie "Bowie at the Beeb"
(This is definitely on my list for one of my favorite live albums of all times. This is truly an amazing recording. God this album is so great. Bowie sings wonderfully on this album. I still can't get over this album. This is one live album I would never get tired of listening to, every song is just so great)

Tyler_Durden 06-08-03 08:44 AM

I'm a big Led Zep fan but haven't heard the new live album yet, so I can't comment on it. The only truly great live album that I have heard is The Who's "Live At Leeds". Now that's great rock.

jk4w 06-08-03 10:04 AM

Ozzy Osbourne : Speak of the Devil

Iron Maiden : Live After Death

Kiss : Alive 1

Kiss : Alive 2

Rush : All The Worlds A Stage

Social Distortion : Live at the Roxy

These are all really good live albums !

theneobez 06-08-03 11:17 AM

Dave Matthews Band - Live at the Red Rocks
Metallica - S & M
Ani Difranco - Living in Clip
Ani Difranco - So Much Shouting/So Much Laughter
and. . .Nirvana unplugged I suppose

cactusoly 06-08-03 11:21 AM

1) Kiss : Alive ("Ah Yah .. Well lets Rock N Roll All Night and Party Every Day!")

2) Judas Priest : Unleashed In The East ("Thank You, Thank You very much indeed ... Green Manalishi")

3) Iron Maiden : Live Alter Death ("Scream For Me Long Beach ! ... Scream For Me Long Beach! ... The Iron Maiden !")

4) Ozzy Osbourne : Tribute ("Heres a little number featuring Randy Roads our lead guitarist, its a number entitled Suicide Solution.")

5) Scorpions : World Wide Live ("California ! ... Thers No One Like You !")

raiders757 06-08-03 11:48 AM

This list could change by the day for me. My top fav. Hard rock live albums that aren't bootlegs of the day are... and in no order

Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Ozzy - Tie Tribute / Speak of the Devil
Judas Priest - Unleashed in East
Scorpions - World Wide Live
Rush - Pick one there all good (I know, I know, that's more than five)

Chim 06-08-03 01:47 PM

The roots - The Roots come alive!

Hiro11 06-08-03 02:43 PM

5: http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...65862cnbwa.jpg
4: http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...34189wtnhs.jpg
3: http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...57452ancym.jpg
2: http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...92571k9v5s.jpg
1: http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov...71196e0x9d.jpg

mcbg1 06-08-03 03:07 PM

Mariah Carey - MTV Unplugged 1993

Goat3001 06-08-03 05:26 PM

1. Metallica- S&M

2. Nirvana- Unplugged

3. Iron Maiden- Live After Death

4. Emperor- Emperial Live Ceremony

5. Can't think of one.

RalphWiggum 06-08-03 08:53 PM

Roger Waters: In the Flesh
Led Zeppelin : How the West was Won
Rush: Different Stages
Ozzy Osbourne: Tribute (also Just Say Ozzy is an amazing live EP)
Pink Floyd: Is there Anybody out There (aka The Wall: Live)

Hollowgen 06-09-03 12:46 AM

1. Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won: I have yet to get sick of listening to this. I listen to at least one track from it every day. I'd like to hug Jimmy page for this.

2. Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys: Some über-sweet guitar blues rockin' here. Really awesome.

3. The Who - Live At Leeds: While the second CD of the deluxe edition sounds tinny and not as good as the first disc, this is a great energetic rock show.

4. Nirvana - MTV Unplugged: Haunting yet excellent.

5. The Doors - Live In Detroit: Lordy, Jim was a total maniac.

Honorable Mentions:

Led Zeppelin - BBC Sessions: Great live music, but I've always thought it's lacking in that there is no huge concert feel to the songs.

Devo - Live The Mongoloid Years: Not musically awesome, but these shows are pure punk rock. These guys had more fun pissing people off than anything else I think.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Earphoria: The live versions of these songs are very impressive.

fallow 06-09-03 12:48 AM

I don't have many live cds that I've purchased. Only Built to Spill - Live, which is excellent if you are a fan (everything is pre-Ancient Melodies of the Future, which isn't such a bad thing).

I have some other live shows...Miles Davis/John Coltrane in Zurich ('60), Godspeed You! Black Emperor in DC ('03), Sigur Ros in DC ('03) that are also excellent. The GY!BE and Sigur Ros shows were ones that I actually attended too, so they're pretty special.

krkuhl 06-09-03 08:18 AM

another vote for a live ozzy album--i prefer his older stuff so i love my "no more tours (tears)" live album

no clue if pearl jam has a live album out or not but i had a crapload of bootlegged songs of live performances and they were definitely :up:

Chopper 06-09-03 08:36 AM

Originally posted by krkuhl
no clue if pearl jam has a live album out or not but i had a crapload of bootlegged songs of live performances and they were definitely :up:
Not sure if you're being serious here or not... But going under the assumption that you are...

1) Live on Two Legs - A compilation of songs from the 1998 tour. Very good stuff. Should be available anywhere.

2) They released all 72 shows from their 2000 World Tour. Some might not be available, but most still are in stores.

3) They are releasing (or have released) every show from their current tour. They're releasing them all online (www.pearljambootlegs.com) & they're releasing one show from each leg in stores. I think the first one will be hitting stores on Tuesday (6/17).

Alyoshka 06-09-03 09:05 AM

1. Who - Live at Leeds
2. Dream Theater - Scenes from NY
3. Ani Difranco - So Much Shouting/So Much Laughter
4. Ani Difranco - Living in Clip

Dubya 06-09-03 09:26 AM

1) The Who - Live At Leeds
2) Neil Young - Weld
3) Pearl Jam - Katowice 6/16/00 (one of the official boots and the one I would pick if I had to choose just one)
4) The Rolling Stones - Get Your Ya-Ya's Out
5) The Clash - From Here To Eternity Live

Hollowgen 06-09-03 11:46 AM

ah, those were two that I forgot that I even had-- The Clash - From Here To Eternity, and Built To Spill - Live.

two other really good live albums.

Gdrlv 06-09-03 12:29 PM

Some of my favorites...

Phish - Live Phish 12
moe. - Warts & All Volume 2
Ben Folds Live
The Roots - The Roots Come Alive
Jimmy Smith - Root Down Live!

SubZero 06-09-03 06:01 PM

A best live albums thread isn't complete without mention going to "Depeche Mode 101". The video is even better than the cd because it does such a great job of combining the climax of the tour with the documentary of the winning kids' journey along the tour.
Jon

SAShepherd 06-09-03 06:43 PM

A couple favorites of mine:

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
They Might Be Giants - Severe Tire Damage (not really a live show, a collection of live tracks)

Also, I really enjoy the (mostly) live limited edition EP attached to some copies of the Old 97's "Satellite Rides."

Michael Corvin 06-09-03 10:46 PM

In no order:

Led Zeppelin - BBC
Tesla - 5 Man Acoustical Jam
Dream Theater - Scenes from NY
Nirvana - Unplugged

Hollowgen 06-10-03 01:12 AM

ahhh maybe i should actually look at my collection again before i post. i have too many albums i guess, because i also totally forgot about Depeche Mode 101 and Talking Head Stop Making Sense. Two other really really good ones.

F For Fake 06-10-03 08:03 AM

Here's 10, and not in any particular order:

Tom Waits - Big Time
NOFX - I Heard They Suck Live
Radiohead - I Might be Wrong
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Queen - Live Killers
Who - Live at Leeds
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
Les Miserables - 10th Anniversary Concert Recording
Lou Reed - Perfect Night

edit: Oops, forgot Elvis Costello - Live at El Macombo!!! Make that 11 ;)

Flashback 06-10-03 08:13 AM

Since it has not been mentioned....and most of my other favorites have....

Cheap Trick - Live at Budokan