Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

So share with us some great metal/rock you've bought

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-05-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is inspired by a few things...for one, I'm always looking for something new to hear, bands I may have heard of but have not heard their music or someone TOTALLY unknown to me....also, because I went did a search, and I saw the "best metal/hard rock albums of 2002" thread...but I want stuff from before then as well as from 2003 too....and finally, because I've done a search for this band that I "discovered", and see they've never been mentioned (or at least, not in recent history I guess):

Skindred (the album is called Babylon)...described as "ragga punk metal", I'm not sure what that entails, but I sure as hell dig it....this is one of the few albums I've heard this year in the heavier scope of music that I just can't stop listening to...very catchy stuff...

The singer's vocals are all over the place, from screaming like a total maniac to some great singing as well, but with a Jamaican/reggae accent to it all....kind of like a blurring of Mike Patton and Bob Marley...an odd mix to say the least....

So what have you heard recently?!? I can never have "Too Much Music" (RIP MMUSA...but at least it remains in spirit in FUSE)
Old 06-05-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I definitely suggest King's X. They are a great hard rock band with great musicianship and vocals. I recommend the albums Dog Man and Tape Head, these are their finest IMO. I had high hopes for their new album Black Like Sunday but it falls very short. A few songs aside Black Like Sunday is pretty terrible. King's X is one of those bands that shows up in every under-rated or under-appreciated thread that gets started here because they are. A great band that never made it big.
Old 06-06-03, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Opeth- Possibly the best band to listen to if you're getting into metal. They have excellent heavy songs and excellent acoustic songs. I recommend Morningrise.

Shadows Fall- Just great metal. I recommend Of One Blood

Metallica- Love it or hate it everyone is talking about St. Anger. And if you're into commercial music you've heard stuff from the Black Album to Reload. And you've probably heard stuff from Ride/Master/And Justice but I highly highly recommend Kill Em All, its underrated for a Metallica album.

Iced Earth- Just listen and be amazed. I recommend Horror Show or if you have extra cash to spend pick up their box set Dark Genesis

God Forbid- Excellent hardcore/metal band. I recommend Determination

Meshugguh- Excellent death metal, I pop this in whenever I wanna just go nuts. I recommend Chaosphere

Amon Amarth- Melodic death metal at its best. I recommend Versus The World

Cyanide Breed- You've probably never heard of them because well they're my friend's band. They're great black/death metal. www.cyanidebreed.net

Soilwork- A great "starter" band. Pick up Figure Number Five and/or Steelbath Suicide

Thats it I'm done.
Old 06-06-03, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

can't recomend any albums, yet. but here are the songs i have on a very heavy rotation. some new, some kinda new and some old;

viovod- gasmask revival *
corrosion of conformity- vote with a bullet
black label society- stillborn
lollipop lust kill- father
machinehead- negative creep
presence- soundcheck
orange 9mm- glistening
e-town concrete-mandibiles
drowning pool- the man without fear
s.o.d.-seasoning the obese
m.o.d.- makin friends is fun *
entombed- to ride straight and speak the truth
deride-first round knockout *
audioslave- cochise
acumen nation- rally and sustain
acumen nation- parasite mind
coal chamber- one step
coal chamber- fiend
Strapping young lad- all hail the new flesh
testify- lethal viper
testify- i am the gas to burn
testify- pink goblin
sugarcomma- what goes around
dog fashion disco- dr. pirahana
veruca salt- shutterbug
primer55- loose
16volt-machine kit
ministry-the light pours out of me
johnny cash-hurt
fantomas- godfather theme
anthrax-got the time
deicide-christ denied
mindless self indulgence- bring the pain

* favs atm

some nu-metal, metal, death metal, rock, rap-metal, industrial, and thrash.
Old 06-06-03, 03:38 PM

GOATWHORE :The Eclipse Of Ages Into Black

I think it's the best Black Metal record ever !
Old 06-06-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm very much into metal, it's my favorite "genre" of music and has been for a number of years now....my intro to metal that got me hooked was Iron Maiden (7th Son of a 7th Son).

I love Metallica, in all their various "forms" of thrashin metal (Kill 'Em - Justice) and their "commercial sell out" (from Black album to present, allegedly).

Of the bands/albums listed thus far I'm familiar with:

-Voivod: only heard an older album of theirs, Nothingface, pretty good stuff
-C.O.C.: love much of their stuff, from Blind - til........Wiseblood I think it's called
-B.L.S.: Zakk Wylde is good in any band it seems...Ozzy or not.
-Machinehead: got their first album, it's ok...not sure what's holding me back from liking them more...
-Drowning Pool: too bad Dave died....damn good band.
-S.O.D.: I remember Speak English or Die...pretty goofy stuff, but cool.
-Coal Chamber: I like musically, but can't take his voice, it's just odd.
-Audioslave: I like Soundgarden, I like RATM, this is a great combo
-Ministry: love their stuff from Land of Rape & Honey thru "Psalm 69"...I've got their new one, but have yet to listen to it much.
-Fantomas: I've got their two albums they've put out thus far, it's a bit extreme, but I just love Mike Patton's vocals, the man has every type of singing voice one can have it seems.
-Anthrax: always been cool stuff...one of the "founding fathers" of that good ole' thrash.

Now based on that, I also like a few of the following:
-Megadeth:...from So Far...So Good...So What! thru til Youthinasia, great speed metal stuff.
-Down: playing off of two bands that I like, Pantera and COC, just good southern metal/sludge.
-Faith No More and Mr. Bungle : again, it seems that Mike Patton can do no wrong...one of the best voices out there, period.
-Shadow's Fall: just picked up The Art of Balance, and it's a pretty accurate title. I'm not a huge fan of death vocals, but as long as it's not the ONLY voice on the album, I can enjoy, and I'm enjoying Balance...
-Skindred: see first post.

Others that I enjoy: Alice In Chains, Bloodhound Gang, NIN, deftones (new one's damn good), Candiria, (hed)P.E., Godsmack, Rammstein and other genres of music too including Pink Floyd, Sigur Ros, Beastie Boys....

So I'm not just getting into metal, just always looking for something new.

Thanks for all responses thus far.
Old 06-06-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Which Machinehead did you pick up? IMO, Burn My Eyes is the only good Machinehead album.

As for Shadows Fall, The Art of Balance is good, but Of One Blood is just amazing.
Old 06-08-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The last 2 Alice Cooper albums "Brutal Planet" and "Dragontown" are among the best Alice Cooper albums in his career. Because of the changing tastes in music they recieve 0 airplay. If you check out "Dragontown" pick up the Special edition which had a bonus disc with the brilliant track "Can't Sleep The Clowns Will Eat Me"

Also Judas Priest "Live In London" both on CD and DVD (the Cd has 5 more live songs the DVD has a bunch of rehersal footage of songs not performed live) Nobody gives the new Priest singer (Ripper Owens) a chance, but he proves on this album that he is the true successor to the Metal God on both new and clasic Priest songs.

Last edited by cactusoly; 06-08-03 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-08-03, 03:03 PM

Acid Bath...check out the review here Satan Stole My Teddybear. Paegan Terrorism Tactics is the best, but both are great.

And then as an encore...Agents of Oblivion.
Old 06-09-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some of my recent "discoveries":
Opeth. Buy them all. They're all incredible in their own rights
Dark Tranquility
In Flames: Especially Clayman and Reroute to Remain
Sentenced: yeah, the songs are all about suicide, but they're a great band
Nightwish: see comments on Opeth
Lacuna Coil: see comments on Nightwish
Meshuggah
Dillinger Escape Plan
Iced Earth
Beyond the Embrace: Saw them open for Lacuna Coil and Opeth. Great guitar harmonies throughout
Old 06-09-03, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by edclem
In Flames: Especially Clayman and Reroute to Remain
Your kidding right? I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but in mine, those two albums, and Colony along with them, don't come anywhere near Lunar Strain / Subterranean, The Jester Race, or Whoracle.

Could it be because you haven't heard these albums? If so, I highly recommend you seek this out and hear for yourself In Flames in their prime.

Ah well....
Old 06-09-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally posted by Goat3001
Amon Amarth- Melodic death metal at its best. I recommend Versus The World
I saw a copy of this yesterday at Wal-Mart. Had a second disc of early tracks/demos. I think I'll have to go back and get it before it totally corrupts some poor innocent kid.

I'd also recommend Dream Evil. Both Evilized and Dragonslayer are incredible.
Old 06-09-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Swanöholic
Your kidding right? I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but in mine, those two albums, and Colony along with them, don't come anywhere near Lunar Strain / Subterranean, The Jester Race, or Whoracle.

Could it be because you haven't heard these albums? If so, I highly recommend you seek this out and hear for yourself In Flames in their prime.

Ah well....
I don't have Whoracle, Lunar Strain, or Colony *yet*, but I do have The Jester Race/Black Ash Inherittance. It's just a personal opinion. JR is an excellent album, it's just that I prefer the other two.
Old 06-10-03, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by edclem
I don't have Whoracle, Lunar Strain, or Colony *yet*, but I do have The Jester Race/Black Ash Inherittance. It's just a personal opinion. JR is an excellent album, it's just that I prefer the other two.
That's cool. Well, if you like Clayman and Reroute to Remain best, then I think you'd definately like Colony, and probably Lunar Strain and Whoracle not as much, or at least as much as J.R.
Old 06-10-03, 05:15 AM

I recently got....

Bret Michaels - Songs of Life (Excellant cd)
Vince Neil - One Night Only (Decent single live disc)
Queensryche - Mindcrime,Rage for Order (Nice remasters of these classic albums).
Old 07-08-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just saw In Flames live for the first time last night....
fricking amazing show

check them out if they come through your town.
Old 07-08-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which metal would someone who really knows the music, recommend for someone who likes the music but not the screaming so much.

Any singers in the bunch of metal bands??

thanks for the help.
Old 07-08-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
Which metal would someone who really knows the music, recommend for someone who likes the music but not the screaming so much.

thanks for the help.
I'm with you on this one...although I don't mind the screaming (hey, I like Soulfly and Sepultura back when Max was fronting them), but in general, I like a singer to be...well...a singer. If they do scream, even the screaming can still be somewhat melodic. But singers like Max don't sing or scream...it's truly what can best be described as ungodly vocals, straight from the pits of hell.

With that in mind, the first that immediately comes to mind would be the one I read most recently in this very thread, Queensryche. Geoff Tate has incredible vocals...who else...who else.....(something tells me I'm going to stray from what many consider "metal")

-Faith No More with Mike Patton as singer...the guy can do the screaming if he wants, and can croon with the best of 'em.
-Saigon Kick: an old band no longer around, at times I thought their vocals were Beatlesque.
-Deftones: a mix between the screaming and the singing...but definitely like his singing voice
-Disturbed: his bizarro "wah-ah-ah-ah" noises aside (those who know the band know what I mean), I think the guy sings well...I've heard this band called "nu-metal"...but I don't understand that...is it because they came out after 2000?
-Drain STH: all female band...female vocals that at times sound like Alice in Chanis.....
-Alice in Chains: Layne's voice was just great and eerie, and combined with the guitarists voice....great stuff
-Ozzy Osbourne: he's not screaming, but he's still a somewhat acquired taste...great during his Black Sabbath years.
-Taproot: another acquired taste...I like the vocals on both albums, roomie only likes the newer album.
-Incubus: love that guy's voice
-311: when they're rappin....ehhh...but I do love the singing
-Iron Maiden: Bruce Dickinson, 'nuff said.
-Type O Negative: once again, an acquired taste...but it ain't screamin.
-Tool: Maynard James Keenan singing...nuff said (that obviously includes his other band, A Perfect Circle)
-Dream Theater: roomie thinks the vocals are wimpy, and I guess they are, but still awesome
-Suicidal Tendencies: later albums for me...say anything from "How Can I Laugh Tomorrow..." onward...once again, an acquired taste...

But then again, isn't everything an acquired taste?

Last edited by harpo787; 07-08-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

converge, although real hard to swallow at first...

http://www.convergecult.com/download...ebrokenvow.mp3
Old 07-09-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

thanks for the help.
Add these to Harpo's list: Fates Warning, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, and Iced Earth
Old 07-09-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Clutch - Transnational Speedway League.

Was introduced to this CD by a friend and I love it...I found the later albums a bit hard to get through though.

Edit: I saw Faith No More mentioned and just wanted to say that I just started listening to their first album, Introduce Yourself (I guess it was there first) and was surprised about how much I liked it. I recommend that one if no has given it a listen.

Last edited by mtucker; 07-09-03 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-09-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Somebody already mentioned this first band, but I have to also:

Dream Evil - Both "Dragonslayer" and "Evilized" are brilliant slices of metal that recall early '80s Dio (where do you think they got their name) and Maiden. Evilized is my early favorite for best album of 2003.

Within Temptation - I cannot recommend "Mother Earth" nearly enough. They're a dutch metal band fronted by a female soprano with an absolutely heavenly voice (and she's easy on the eyes too). This is very fantasy tinged stuff, but extremely catchy and not that hokey... I guarantee you won't be able to get Ice Queen out of your head. Within Temptation have released one other full length album, "Enter", which combined Sharon's voice along with the lead guitarists Death Metal vocals which might appeal to some of you (there's no Death vocals on Mother Earth though). In My opinion WT blows away Nightwish, Sinergy and any other female fronted metal band I've heard.

Mordred
Old 07-09-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The new Entombed ("Inferno") is pretty amazing! I don't really listen to death metal all that much, but I picked it up because I like some of their earlier stuff and Nick from the Hellacopters used to be in the band. Pretty heavy stuff! Too early to tell, but it may be my favorite Entombed album. Way better than the last one. Maybe on par with "Wolverine Blues" and "Uprising" (IMO; like I said, I don't listen to this stuff often and am far from an expert on this stuff).