Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Maiden - Visions Of The Beast - DVD

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-05-03, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the Iron Maiden - Official Website.

For over 20 years Iron Maiden have been at the forefront of metal, clocking up over 50 million album sales worldwide and spawning numerous hit singles around the globe. And now for the first time ever, they have compiled every one of their promotional videos into an awesome two-DVD set which runs from 1980's 'Women In Uniform' through to the band's now legendary headlining slot in front of 250,000 fans at 2001's Rock In Rio performing 'Brave New World'.

With a running time in excess of three hours, 'Visions Of The Beast' is the definitive chronicle of Iron Maiden through the years and includes many promo clips never previously available. Not only is every video the band has ever made included - 31 in total - but each DVD features never-before-seen Camp Chaos animated versions of six classic tracks, interactive menus and discographies, and some special hidden extras.

The release on 2nd June comes straight after Iron Maiden's triumphant return to the live stage headlining the Download Festival at Donington on 31st May, supported by Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Ministry and many others.

Renowned for their world-conquering tours, Iron Maiden then embark on another globe-trotting marathon - the 'Give Me 'Ed... Til I'm Dead' extravaganza - that heralds the release of the band's highly anticipated brand new studio album, which will be released in September.

'Visions Of The Beast' is every metal fan's dream, and serves as a timely reminder of just how important Iron Maiden are in the history of rock music. It is also the most concise and entertaining collection of their defining moments ever released - and a damn fine way to get psyched for their incredible new album.

'Visions Of The Beast' will also be available as a single VHS, containing all 31 promotional videos.

* Please note: Due to technical complications the NTSC release is still in production - we will post the anticipated release date as soon as it's confirmed.

DVD 1
Women In Uniform
Wrathchild (live at the Rainbow)
Run To The Hills
The Number Of The Beast
Flight Of Icarus
The Trooper (promo version)
2 Minutes To Midnight
Aces High
Wasted Years
Stranger In A Strange Land
Can I Play With Madness
The Evil That Men Do
The Clairvoyant (Donington ‘88)
Infinite Dreams (LIVE)
Holy Smoke
Tailgunner

Extras
Aces High (Camp Chaos version)
The Number Of The Beast (Camp Chaos version)
Futureal (Football version)
Fear Of The Dark (Rock In Rio) Clip or Full version with 5.1 Sound

DVD 2
Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter
Be Quick Or Be Dead
From Here To Eternity
Wasting Love
Fear Of The Dark (Donington 92)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (Donington 92)
Man On The Edge
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Lord Of The Flies
Virus
The Angel And The Gambler
Futureal
The Wicker Man
Out Of The Silent Planet
Brave New World (Rock in Rio 2001)

Extras
The Wicker Man (Camp Chaos version)
Flight Of Icarus (Camp Chaos version)
Run To The Hills (Camp Chaos version)

©1998-2003 IronMaiden.com Ltd.

Just ordered it. When it arrives from the UK I'll write a post, if no one beats me to it.
Old 06-06-03, 01:45 AM

I want this VERY badly.
Old 06-06-03, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts
Me too.

Get this mother****er out in R1, post-haste.
Old 06-06-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 537 Likes on 347 Posts
Oh my! that look very cool

BTW, my buddy got our Maiden Tix for at least 1 of the shows (scream for me Long Beach!)here in So Cal
Old 06-07-03, 11:58 PM

That has been on my want list for a long time now. I beleave it will be out in mid July in the States. Just in time for the Give Me Ed Till I'm Dead Tour.

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-03, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm...I wonder if I could get just the first disc?
Old 06-16-03, 10:21 AM

Ok, I just finished watching the first disc and I've skimmed the second disc. My first impression is that this set is a MUST HAVE for any Iron Maiden fan.

There's a wealth of videos and promo clips. There's even some Paul Dianno stuff as well. Overall the sound and picture quality is very good. Much better than any of the MPEG videos that were included on the Castle Records CD releases. The animated menus are quite elaborate as they "fly" you through the streets of London. The "Camp Chaos" versions of some videos are actually pretty interesting to look at. Although they are essentially music videos with enchanting animated illustrations of Eddie and the band cut in.

The 2 dvds come packaged in an attractive windowed slipcase. The inner sleeve is a digipack. The package is MUCH nicer than the "Rock In Rio" set, but I still prefer the more durable clamshell cases better.

Oh well that's my first impressions. Considering the record time it took for my original post to fall into obscurity, I'm not going to put the time into writing a huge reveiw of this set. Simply because I don't know how many people around here would even be interested. But, If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to try and answer any questions, if I can.

~Cheers~
Old 06-16-03, 11:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to try and answer any questions, if I can.
What is your opinion of the performances of the Dianno-era material sung by Paul on the DVD?
Old 06-16-03, 11:48 AM

Where did you buy it at? Not for sale on the Maiden site,amazon or DDD.
Old 06-16-03, 11:57 AM

I don't know, I am a pretty big Maiden fan, but I just have no urge to buy this. Its just videos right? Am I missing something?

I didn't realize they made a video for Out of The Silent Planet. What's it like?

Got my tickets for the DC show and I can't wait, what a package!
Old 06-16-03, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by benedict
What is your opinion of the performances of the Dianno-era material sung by Paul on the DVD?
There's really only one Dianno "performance" on this set. There's a promo clip for "Women In Uniform" that I'd never seen before. It was just the studio track and the band on a stage. Then there's "Wrathchild" live at The Rainbow in London. This was definatley shot live but I think the integrity of the original soundtrack has been cleaned up . . . ALOT. -- Almost to the point that it sounds like the studio track dubbed over the live footage. I've seen Dianno live, own "Maiden Japan," and I have the "Killers - Live In Brazil" and I don't think that Paul ever sounded quite this good live. This was particularly unfortunate for me because, (I'm in the minority here), I really prefer Dianno with Iron Maiden.

As great as I think this set is, it's really lacking in the Dianno era. Personally, I would've been thrilled to have "Remember Tomorrow," "Murders In The Rue Mourge," or "The Phantom Of The Opera" somewhere in this package.

. . . *sigh* maybe they'll turn up as one of the hidden features that have been advertised. - But somehow I doubt it.
Old 06-16-03, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by kmcrowl
Where did you buy it at? Not for sale on the Maiden site,amazon or DDD.
I picked up a R2 version from a dealer in the UK (ebay).

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
I don't know, I am a pretty big Maiden fan, but I just have no urge to buy this. Its just videos right? Am I missing something?
For the most part it is a collection of videos, but there are different versions of some songs that are worth checking out. There's a snippet showing the guys playing soccer, (football) that is cooler than it sounds. There's also a few songs from Donnington.

I have about half of these videos from the CD releases, but the quality of those is slightly above crap. Plus I can't enjoy them on my HT. For about twenty bucks I've got all the videos and more in one place. They all look and sound amazing. I think the set is a great value for the money, plus it's a way to help support Iron Maiden. - I think the more DVDs they sell, the closer to reality some of my other Iron Maiden *wish list* dvds may come.

I can't stress enough that this is a great package and worth owning.

I didn't realize they made a video for Out of The Silent Planet. What's it like?
The video for "Out Of The Silent Planet" is a collection of "Rio" live footage pieced together. - Kind of a easy way out, but nicely done.

Got my tickets for the DC show and I can't wait, what a package!
I can't wait! - Getting my tickets to Pittsburgh Saturday, but I'll have to check out the presale on Wednesday morning . . . just in case.
Old 06-16-03, 01:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by HighSpeedOnIce
(I'm in the minority here), I really prefer Dianno with Iron Maiden.
</small> Me too, although I heard that Bruce puts on a great show and definitely seems like more of a fun guy in interviews.

It is just that those first two albums were truly excellent: I was never particularly tempted to buy all those that followed. I just owned Bruce's debut in vinyl and (I think) 7th Son and Brave New World on CD. Paradoxically, from what I have heard of their respective solo output, I preferred Bruce's!
Old 06-16-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts
DVEmpire has this up for pre-order. Says its coming out July 15, 2003 with a MSRP of $19.98.
Old 06-16-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got my tickets for Montreal August 2 !!!!!!
Old 06-17-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by porieux
Hmm...I wonder if I could get just the first disc?
My thoughts exactly
Old 06-17-03, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by benedict
Paradoxically, from what I have heard of their respective solo output, I preferred Bruce's!
Bruce's solo career is really amazing. He goes from the fun rockin' album (Tattooed Millionaire) to much more serious attempts at modern sounding metal (The Chemical Wedding) with some alternative/hard rock experimentation in between (Skunkworks). I recommend anyone to dig into his solo career, you may be surprised by the variety you find.
Old 06-21-03, 11:08 AM

Came across a couple of Easter eggs on the "Visions" dvd:

Disc I:

View "The Trooper" 3 times and you'll see an animation of Eddie walking over to a door no.: 666
You'll see a black and white comedian-collection from Stan & Olli, Charlie Chaplin ....
with the backgroundmusic "Man on the Edge"!!!
Real nice, the lyrics fit to the movie!!!!

Disc II:

View "Hallowed be thy name" 3 times and you can see Eddie walking over to no. 664 "The bloke next door" - you'll get a Camp Chaos Animation of "The Trooper".
Watch out for the text at the beginning of the animation!!!!

Eddie chops George W. Bush's head off.

If you don't want to wait all 3 times watching the regular video - Fast forwarding the videos will work also.

~Cheers~