DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The official St. Anger review and thoughts thread!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/296646-official-st-anger-review-thoughts-thread.html)

gerrythedon 06-05-03 01:34 PM

Ok after second listen... WOW this album is fkn REAL GOOD!

Rypro 525 06-05-03 01:39 PM

I put my vote down, ***** a classic

gerrythedon 06-05-03 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus42
The albums kicks ass!!! I dont think this album is targeted towards old farts in mullets who still sport their Master of Puppets T-Shirts. With that in mind, it truly is a great album for the rest of us.
AGREE!
yeah stop this S _ T... It's not the 80''s no more, it will never be like that, if it was then they would have not lasted this long and not be this good... It's still METALLICA!!! and it FKN ROCKS!

Rypro 525 06-05-03 01:42 PM

Its got a modern sound to it with an 80's speed metal type guitar.

MJKTool 06-05-03 01:59 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus42
I dont think this album is targeted towards old farts in mullets who still sport their Master of Puppets T-Shirts.
rotfl

its funny, because its so true! :lol:

cdollaz 06-05-03 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Its got a modern sound to it with an 80's speed metal type guitar.
That would be great if I could hear the guitar. One thing great about Metallica was that no matter how fast, the guitar was always crisp and you could distinguish every note. The guitar on this album is just a muddy mess. I wish I could hear it.

Rypro 525 06-05-03 02:14 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
That would be great if I could hear the guitar. One thing great about Metallica was that no matter how fast, the guitar was always crisp and you could distinguish every note. The guitar on this album is just a muddy mess. I wish I could hear it.
Maybe your speakers were messed up or something else since I could understand each guitar note (with even cheap maxwell headphones.)

cdollaz 06-05-03 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Maybe your speakers were messed up or something else since I could understand each guitar note (with even cheap maxwell headphones.)
Well, considering I listened to it on the same stereo that I listened to all other Metallica albums on (and they sounded very clear), I doubt that's it. Numerous others have remarked about shabby sound quality as well, so I don't think it's me.

DodgingCars 06-05-03 02:24 PM

If the rest sounds like St. Anger, then I probably am an old far. I knew it would happen eventually. :)

DodgingCars 06-05-03 02:25 PM

3 people Recommend Britanny Spears over the new album at Amazon. :)

I still have to hear it, but Amazon doesn't have samples yet.

MJKTool 06-05-03 02:28 PM

I've never seen a record with so much hatred on one side and so much love on the other side in this forum. Sucks being at work because Im dying to hear what all this fuss is over!

tomveil 06-05-03 03:08 PM

I like it better after watching the dvd. Can't beat the price 9.99 for a cd and a dvd of every song.

Some of the riffs remind me of Fight

Lateralus42 06-05-03 03:13 PM

Review form Rolling Stone:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...sp?aid=2046700

4 stars

Metallica released the best-selling album of their career, 1991's Black Album, in the middle of an identity crisis. That same year Nirvana released Nevermind, a disc that immediately made the previous decade's worth of metal seem kitschy and outdated. Even while outselling the albums on which Metallica built their fan base in the Eighties, the Bay Area quartet spent much of the last decade trying to rediscover how to rock -- fighting Napster, losing bassist Jason Newsted, watching singer James Hetfield go into rehab and alienating plenty of loyal fans along the way.
No wonder there's an authenticity to St. Anger's fury that none of the band's rap-metal followers can touch. Across seventy-five-plus minutes of savage but intricate structures that recall those pre-Black glory days, Metallica go back to their brutal essence. There's no radio-size, four-minute rock here, no pop-friendly choruses, no ballads, no solos, no wayward experimentation. Recorded with longtime producer Bob Rock on bass, this is loud, expansive, unrepentant Metallica.

Although it was written and recorded in the studio, St. Anger barely resembles a studio album. The raw sounds on the throttling opening cut, "Frantic," are essentially the same raw sounds that are heard throughout the next ten tracks, as if the band members focused solely on playing off one another, not the mixing board, and were too busy to notice that the snare drum annoyingly goes ping instead of snap. Rock's bass is mixed way down in a blare of guitar-and-drums midrange that recalls 1988's . . . And Justice for All -- over him, the band hammers out its signature staccato stops-and-starts and multiple tempo and key changes like three angry fingers on the same fist. It's a rush to be pummeled by this group again.

Despite the songwriting help from drummer Lars Ulrich and guitarist Kirk Hammett, St. Anger chronicles Hetfield coping with recovery's ugly truths. He's still ornery, still defensive and still sometimes overselling his rage. On the final track, "All Within My Hands," he sings, "Love is control/I'll die if I let go," and the album ends with him screaming, "Kill! Kill! Kill!" seemingly unable to forgive himself or others as sobriety demands, stuck in the same dark childhood place he's always struggled to escape. It's a closing that puts an uneasy spin on the album's return-to-basics approach and makes it seem more of a masterful retreat than a fully victorious breakthrough into new territory.

Now that ex-Suicidal Tendencies bassist Rob Trujillo has completed the lineup for the band's upcoming tour, St. Anger already feels like a piece of Metallica's history, something they had to do in order to hold themselves together, bring back the old fans and prove their mettle to the kids. There's a happiness to its wrath, along with the fluency that comes with reclaiming old ground. If that's ****ed up and facile, then so be it.

nodeerforamonth 06-05-03 03:28 PM

ok, now that I've heard the WHOLE album from front to back, I can make a better opinion of it.

It's not that bad! Besides the annoying drums (which you either get used to or it goes away as the album goes on), the only thing that really bugs me about it is the CD slips into a paper slot in the cover. I've taken my disk out twice and it's ALREADY SCRATCHED UP! Thankfully I can make a backup of it later tonight (I hope).

The songs are good and I think this album is to Metallica is what "God Hates Us All" was to Slayer. You can tell this is Metallica and they do seem to be "going back to their roots" but at the same time are doing something different. Of course it doesn't even compare to "Ride The Lightning" or any of their first 4 albums, I'm happy with the purchase. Best thing they've done (with original songs) since "Justice".

GeoffK 06-05-03 04:29 PM

Just got the CD, so my comments are based on a my very first impressions:

- Audio Quality of the CD is bad, criminally bad. It sounds like a copy of a copy.
- The muisc is good. I really like some of the driving drum beats and guitar riffs. This is both a step forward and a look back for Metallica as they revisit some of their classical harder stuff with a very new take
- Lyrically it's just awful. There are so many bad lyrics and many of the songs just don't flow well lyrically.

I just popped in both the CD and the DVD and the sound quality is much better on the DVD. Much criper and less muddy.

The CD sound is so bad I did think about returning it, and if it weren't for the DVD I probably would.

cerial442 06-05-03 04:36 PM

Well I picked it up today as well.

It's really not that bad. In all honesty this is the album they should have put out after the black album.

I have a couple of complants about the album though:

The production is horrible. Kill 'Em All has better production that this, and that CD didn't cost a million dollars to record. Though it will probably grow on me.

Alot of the songs are really too long. Sure Justice had a lot of long songs, but they were that way because of guitar solos and intros. Some songs on this CD are like playing the same song twice. Taking a four minute song and playing it back to back to get an eight minute song really doesn't work.

Nothing against the band but I hate digi-packs. They are CDs answer to the Snapper case.

But besides all of that, it isn't that bad of an album. The DVD is a really nice touch.

gerrythedon 06-05-03 04:40 PM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
... the only thing that really bugs me about it is the CD slips into a paper slot in the cover. I've taken my disk out twice and it's ALREADY SCRATCHED UP!
I hear ya... like where the dvd goes [holder] they could have doubled up and put one in the middle too.

gerrythedon 06-05-03 04:44 PM

after 3rd listen [cd] and viewing DVD [FKN GREAT by the way. sounds SWEET(only have 2.0:()... better than cd?:)]

awesome tracks:
FRANTIC
ST. ANGER
SOME KIND OF MONSTER
SHOOT ME AGAIN
UNNAMED FEELING
PURIFY
ALL WITHIN' MY HANDS

...rest is cool

Keyser Soze 06-05-03 04:46 PM

And the media machine rolls on....

With all the press this albums been getting from MTV and magazines... it's no surprise that their younger fans are going to run out and buy it. These fans may even start believing they actually like it, as they look over the songs being too long, Lars and his snare drum, James' sober/campy lyrics, and even the bands new "we can play harder and faster than band X" sound.

Granted some may say this is just a new sound for Metallica.... they're trying to fit in with all the other new superstar bands out there (insert Korn, Stained, or whoever the hell you want). The main problem I see with this album is as follows.

Metallica got to where they are in rock because they did what they wanted to do. When they put out "Kill em' All" on Megaforce records, there were many reviewers out here in the Bay Area that slammed the album. Some people thought it was too loud, too fast, or just didn't like James and his screaming lyrics. But Metallica could care less what the media thought, they put out one of the hardest rock albums for that time, and they stayed true to themselves. They put out an album with their own sound, they could care less what other bands were doing. Their fans loved the music, and that's all that mattered. Metallica stood true to thier sound through the 'Justice' cd. I'm happy to say that Justice was the last Metallica CD I purchased.

Since Justice, they have put out a few good songs. Even some of you guys giving praise to this CD have said that their last few albums were sub par for them. Hell, when you put this album side by side with those last few ones, this one may even sound a little bit better. But does that make it a classic? No.

I think the biggest problem is.... it's not a Metallica CD at heart. This sounds like something that was put out to compete with all the new/younger metal bands out there. They've changed their sound just to compete, and that's a bad thing.

I remember Metallica when they really were a good hard rock band. I was lucky enough to grow up listening to them, going to their concerts at The Stone here in S.F. before they hit it big. I remember the after parties at Cliff's apartment, and I remember their older music that kicked ass, and took no prisoners. I remember the time when you would hear a track, and knew it was a Metallica song instantly. Unfortunately... it looks like those days are over.

This new CD.... it will go platinum and be praised while the masses blow smoke up the bands ass. James and crew will do their tour, and then the CD will be long forgotten. People listening to the CD will keep reminding themselves that's it's great, next to the drums, or next to it not having solos, or next to all the changes, or next to the tracks being longer than needed, or next to the campy lyrics, etc. etc, etc.

This CD may not be Metallica at their worst... but it sure as hell isn’t close to their best.

I remember the days of when Metallica marched to their own drum. I remember when other bands use to try and sound like Metallica, not the other way around. I remember when Metallica use to influence rock, not imitate it.

Call me an old fart all you want, but at least I remember when Metallica were honest with themselves and their music. I never had a mullet, I never even owned a Master of Puppets jersey... but I do remember when Metallica put out good music.

-k
###

MJKTool 06-05-03 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
Call me an old fart all you want, but at least I remember when Metallica were honest with themselves and their music. I never had a mullet, I never even owned a Master of Puppets jersey... but I do remember when Metallica put out good music.

-k
###

And what makes you think you know Metallica is not being true to themselves? Are you in the band? Were you there during the recording process?

From reading your post you are STUCK BIGTIME in the early eighties Keyser, which seems to be the common theme for alot of the bitter "OG" Metallica fans. Time to move on buddy! :lol:

Keyser Soze 06-05-03 05:11 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
And what makes you think you know Metallica is not being true to themselves?
The fact that they're trying to imitate every other hard rock band out there. -ohbfrank-

MJKTool 06-05-03 05:16 PM

The fact that they're trying to immitate every other hard rock band out there. -ohbfrank-
Give us some examples?
So far you have given us:
linkin park....uhhh no wayyyyyyy!
limp bizkit....not even close!
korn...not even in the same galaxy!

any other comparisons?

Keyser Soze 06-05-03 05:27 PM

Opinions vary.

This CD just sounds like a really bad jam session. Any band could play most of the riffs on this CD. They just get old after hearing them for 8 minutes. I'm sure the masses will flock to the store and buy the CD on the bands name recognition alone.

No matter, enjoy the CD if you can.

MJKTool 06-05-03 05:28 PM

Opinions vary.

No matter, enjoy the CD if you can.

<------not a bitter Metallica fan stuck in the early 80's, will enjoy the cd imensly! -wink-

Keyser Soze 06-05-03 05:34 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
<------not a bitter Metallica fan stuck in the early 80's, will enjoy the cd imensly! -wink-
I'm immensely happy for you! ;) :D

Ah hell... who gives a crap, it's just a stupid CD. :lol:

-k
###