Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

So what's up with COLLECTIVE SOUL nowadays?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-03-03, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last album was Blender in 2001 (besides the greatest hits), I know they fired Childress...but are they doing anything right now?

Really would like a new album.
Old 06-05-03, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like their dvd for music in high places. Its probably been out a while ,but I just got turned on to it.

Last edited by tomveil; 06-06-03 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they live in their mom's basement. for real.
Old 12-09-04, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Their new album Youth was released on 11/16. I got it the other day and it's on par with their previous albums.
Old 12-09-04, 11:26 PM

Saw them in concert last week in Boston (part of the annual WBCN Christmas shows). Great show! Had a new guitar player who was really good, they joked around a lot between songs (jamming on AC/DC songs at a couple points), and Ed telling stories about how he went to school in Boston and used to listen to 'BCN back then.

(It was an especially great double-bill with the Datsuns, who rocked!!!)
Old 04-22-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay, I'll dredge this old topic up to ask my silly question in, since it certainly doesn't warrant it's own thread! I have "Blender" at the bottom of my queue on yourmusic.com, but I know nothing about the band, their sound, etc... The only thing that caught my eye was Elton John being on it. Now I do consider myself to have a wide-ish range of music, but I haven't been too fond of much newer music.

So I guess my question is a bit of a two-parter; what would their sound be comparable to, and if I did just get it for Elton, is it worth it being a fan? Thanks for reading my inane ramblings.
Old 04-22-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie
Okay, I'll dredge this old topic up to ask my silly question in, since it certainly doesn't warrant it's own thread! I have "Blender" at the bottom of my queue on yourmusic.com, but I know nothing about the band, their sound, etc... The only thing that caught my eye was Elton John being on it. Now I do consider myself to have a wide-ish range of music, but I haven't been too fond of much newer music.

So I guess my question is a bit of a two-parter; what would their sound be comparable to, and if I did just get it for Elton, is it worth it being a fan? Thanks for reading my inane ramblings.
They are doing their level best to be Pearl Jam, and they are doing poorly at it. Collective soul do a worse impression of Pearl Jam than Creed did, and that's saying something.
Old 09-08-07, 01:55 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
No fans of the band here I see, we haven't talked about them in 2+ years. They just had a new release, Target exclusive (general release in 6 months?).

I'm enjoying it, very similar to their older stuff, which isn't a bad thing imo. It's been in my CD player for a couple weeks now.
Old 09-08-07, 08:37 PM

Just saw them on a triple bill with Live and Counting Crowes. Collective Soul opened the show, but they were the best of the three! Some new songs, some old songs, and an AC/DC cover tune...
Old 09-08-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's quite a bill. I'm guessing Live isn't they live band they used to be. I saw them once at 99X Big Day Out opening for Marvelous 3 and Bush, they were awesome.

I'll be on the lookout for their new album on the cheap.
Old 09-09-07, 06:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I saw the lead singer and his wife on some kitchen remodeling show shot recently... the entire band came over and hung out... they talked about the lead getting a piano as a gift from Elton John, yada yada... they all appeared quite chummy with eachother, so I don't think they broke up.
Old 09-09-07, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I saw the lead singer and his wife on some kitchen remodeling show shot recently... the entire band came over and hung out... they talked about the lead getting a piano as a gift from Elton John, yada yada... they all appeared quite chummy with eachother, so I don't think they broke up.
Read the first post and then replied didnja?

They have a new album out and are on tour with Live and Counting Crows. They just came through Louisville about two weeks back. A co-worker said it sucked, mostly due to the venue... our AAA baseball stadium right next to the Ohio river and expressway. He said CC was the only one with a decent enough sound system to overcome the sound dissipation.
Old 09-09-07, 08:03 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Read the first post and then replied didnja?

They have a new album out and are on tour with Live and Counting Crows. They just came through Louisville about two weeks back. A co-worker said it sucked, mostly due to the venue... our AAA baseball stadium right next to the Ohio river and expressway. He said CC was the only one with a decent enough sound system to overcome the sound dissipation.
who said I even bothered to read the 1st post?
Old 09-11-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

gonna have to travel out of state to get this, that blows!
Old 09-13-07, 10:01 PM

They have a new album that is quite good. I certainly enjoy it.

Afterwords
Old 09-14-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Checked out that tour schedule. Nowhere near me, unfortunately.