Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

If this isn't "selling out" then I don't know what is

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-29-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found this is the LAWeekly today and almost died laughing. Nice pics with the Civics, boys! Leave your "punk" integrity at the door....

Old 05-29-03, 10:16 PM
Banned

Hi and welcome to last year. Those two bands sold out long ago.
Old 05-29-03, 10:36 PM
Suspended

I loooove good charlottes new video!
Old 05-29-03, 11:33 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I hesitated to post this, fearing I might embarrass myself by revealing that I, too, am rather ignorant as far as the chronology of these bands' sellouts...

But that pic is pretty funny.
Old 05-29-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

good for them!
Old 05-30-03, 12:44 AM

They might as well make the money while they can.
Old 05-30-03, 01:05 AM

using Jay-Z lyrics for your punk song would also be selling out.

and a sweatshirt that says "MADE"??

Honda's are good cars though. Earl Scheib could probably clean off those autographs for $99.
Old 05-30-03, 04:30 AM

hmmm...i wasn't aware that these 2 bands were even able to "sell out".
imo, they're both pop music (just like avril lavigne), which i don't have a problem with.

plus, this whole "credibility" issue is just plain elitist, imo.
Old 05-30-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What do you guys think is the best example of "selling out"?? Ozzy doing a Diet Pepsi ad comes to mind or Alice Cooper seliing golf clubs
Old 05-30-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alice Cooper plays alot of golf so hawking golf clubs is OK to me. It's when people hawk something they obviously never use that is really funny to me.
Old 05-30-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't understand the whole "Punk" idea of selling out. The whole idea of being a professional musician is making enough money so you don't have to have a job working construction or whatever during the day. Back in the 70's punks said the Clash were sell outs when they signed to CBS for $250,000. Besides isn't the whole idea to SELL RECORDS?

Elvis Costello said during the History of Rock And Roll series that when his first album came out he was 30 years old, a computer programmer with a wife, a kid, a house and a mortgage. So if he was going to be a musician it was going to have to pay like a regular job. So, as he said, this idea that he wasn't concerned with money was ludicrous. At least he's honest about it.
Old 05-30-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jbrotheim
What do you guys think is the best example of "selling out"?? Ozzy doing a Diet Pepsi ad comes to mind or Alice Cooper seliing golf clubs
Yeah but do you see Ozzy chugging a Diet Pepsi on his concert ad? No.
Or Alice Cooper posing with his golf clubs on his concert ad? No.

Sure musicians have been known to hawk products, everyone from Michael Jackson for Pepsi in th 80's to Henry Rollins for Mac Powerbooks in the 90's, but they aren't pimping them on the front of their concert ads. That's basically saying that this company's product is more important than your music.

Anyway, try and think of any artist that is posing with their sponsers product on their concert ad. I'm hard pressed to remember any band or even pop star that's hawking them in their concert ad. I can't remember even Britney Spears sporting a Pepsi in any of her concert ads, not that I've seen them all or anything, maybe she is. But pop stars are allowed to do that nonsense, they are commecially created automatons and are supposed to do that stuff. Not a couple of "punk" bands. "Punk" bands are supposed to be railing against this kind of B.S. It just show their true colors.
Old 05-30-03, 11:43 AM

Using a strict definition of the word "punk," all artists that sign to a major label are sellouts.

That said, I think "sellout" is a completely subjective term that everyone defines differently.

- Matt
Old 05-30-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"Sell-Out" is an overused dumb term I think. Bands are in it for the cash as well w/ the music. Its there right to be soft like Sugar Ray to become big.
Old 05-30-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know how one could argue they 'sold out' because they are 'punk' when neither of those bands are 'punk', but rather some goofy corporate tools to sell music to the punk/goths/hot-topic crowd...
Old 05-30-03, 01:29 PM
Suspended

I dont know if they sold out or not, or really dont care. I just think both of em suck major ass, major, major, major ass. I put Bad Charolette in the same musical catogory as Kelly Osbourne.
Old 05-30-03, 03:15 PM
Banned

they cant sell out and never did they were never punk

there a posuer band not a sell out band
Old 05-30-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At these prices? ...SOLD!!!
Old 05-30-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Still, I have trouble feeling this is worse of a sell out than Sugar Ray.
Old 05-31-03, 01:07 AM

Wait, let me get this straight.

success = sellouts
unsuccessful = real punk

Interesting, I want to sell out right now.
Old 05-31-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Honda is their tour sponsor. Tours cost a lot of money. Sponsors help.

How exactly is this "selling out?"

Have they compromised their music in any way, shape or form?

The only thing I consider "selling out" is when a musician alters their music/creative instincts for the sole purpose of making money.

A musician is a job like any other and these people need to make money.

I'm going to guess that the sell-out police here are not musicians themselves...
Old 05-31-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The term "selling out" is something that is tossed around a lot and I often wonder.... aren't bands in it to make money? I know I'm in my career to make money... and enjoy doing it while I do it. Are we all selling out to something?

In any case, I do see the whole "Honda Civic tour" as a big shill. they even had a prize on KROQ to win the supp'ed up Honda via the specs that the bands picked.
Old 05-31-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't imagine any 14-year-old fan would care.
Old 05-31-03, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing I consider "selling out" is when a musician alters their music/creative instincts for the sole purpose of making money.
*cough*Jewel*cough*
Old 05-31-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dudikoff
Wait, let me get this straight.

success = sellouts
unsuccessful = real punk

Interesting, I want to sell out right now.
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Honda is their tour sponsor. Tours cost a lot of money. Sponsors help.

How exactly is this "selling out?"
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The term "selling out" is something that is tossed around a lot and I often wonder.... aren't bands in it to make money? I know I'm in my career to make money... and enjoy doing it while I do it. Are we all selling out to something?
Look....I'm not ragging on them for making money off of their music, am I? And I'm not ragging on them for having sponsors, every "big" band has tour sponsors.
I'm not ragging on them for signing major label contracts or signing their music away to commercials. If your a musician making money off of your music, that's great, fine, I'm very happy for you.
But if you are a musician making money off of a sponsorship and go so far as to include photos of you and the product in your concert ad, well I feel that's plain wrong and "selling out". Are we going to a concert or a car dealership that just happens to have the bands playing there, possibly having test drives out in the parking lot? Is your musical integrity so easily bought? I thought it's about the music, man!

As for "success = sellouts" and "punk = unsuccessful".....uh, yeah. The whole definition of "punk" is a topic for another thread and I may not have the firmest grasp of what the definition is (I was a little kid when the "real" punk scene was happing in the late 70's/early 80's), but I know enough about it that it takes more than playing 3 chord rock and wearing tattoos and clothing from Hot Topic. And it's definitely not about hawking corporate merchandise, going as far as giving a large percentage of your concert ad space (including photos with the product) that's supposed to be promoting your music.