Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Chain stores that buy used CDs?

Old 05-29-03, 11:06 AM

Chain stores that buy used CDs?

I've had luck selling some really horrible used CDs to Wherehouse/Turtles, but the store here closed right after Xmas. Anyone have any suggestions of other chains that will take bad dog CDs off your hands?
Old 05-29-03, 01:49 PM

I believe FYE and Coconuts buy used CD's and DVD's. Not sure about the process, though.
Old 05-29-03, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by jonnyrocks
I believe FYE and Coconuts buy used CD's and DVD's. Not sure about the process, though.
Thanks for the tip, jonny. Called FYE and they said it's only for credit, but that's cool. No Coconuts near here that I know of...

Everybody else feel free to jump in with suggestions
Old 05-29-03, 03:28 PM

Try Specs. All the chains down here in the south Florida area sell used CDs. Not sure if they still buy or trade.
Old 05-29-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hastings, at least the last time I was in one, had lots of used CDs for sale. I'm thinking they traded something like 5 used CDs for one new or something. Not sure if they paid out cash.
Old 05-29-03, 05:58 PM

No Specs or Hastings around these parts, unfortunately

Anybody actually sold stuff back at FYE before? Will they take promos, how strict are they about condition, what kind of offers are common, can you apply the credit you receive to the website or only in-store, etc?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Keep em coming...
Old 05-29-03, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by talespinner

Anybody actually sold stuff back at FYE before? Will they take promos, how strict are they about condition, what kind of offers are common, can you apply the credit you receive to the website or only in-store, etc?

I work for them so I can offer you some details.

Some stores will take promos, although policy is such that you don't take back anything that is clearly a promo (stamp, not for resale etc) most stores will take stuff that is drilled or hole punched.

Again, with conditiion it is up to the manager who does the purchase. At my store, we take back only stuff in really good condition, to avoid a loss if we take back stuff that may or may not work. All of the inserts/artwork must be included.

For CD's you can expect a varying range of buyback prices, and they are pre-determined by our system.

"hot product" is usually 5 bucks. By "hot" I mean new, or very popular. AC/DC's 'back and black' for example or Avril Lavigne's CD.

It really varies though, I've seen buybacks as low as a quarter. Like Chumbawamba for example

Credit is good in-store only, has no expiration and can be used at any Transworld store.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions let me know.
Old 05-29-03, 11:58 PM

Hey thanks for the indepth info, db27! That helps alot.

I assume that you can reject the offer if you think it's too low, right? That's the way most independent stores work.
Old 05-30-03, 10:42 PM

One more question - Do they take CDs from music clubs? Those have different barcodes than the official versions thus not scanning in the system.

Again, thanks for the info...

Jay
Old 05-31-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

talespinner:

Sure, you don't have to sell it if you don't think the price is decent.

And yes, the system is designed so that music club CD's scan in the system while in the "used purchase" mode. Although, I've seen some managers that don't take them, but I don't know why. If it scans I'll take it.

The database in the "used purchase" mode is HUGE and includes BMG, CH and many other weird or old UPC's. Actually, quite a impressive system, especially for transworld

Glad I could help.