Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Picked up the Led Zeppelin live cd

Old 05-27-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Picked up the Led Zeppelin live cd

I am enjoying the music but there are 3 things that amaze me about this release:

1. The music would have fit on 2 cd's. And I don't want to hear anything about preserving continuity by putting the songs in original running order, since it's pieces from 2 concerts hashed together.

2. Flimsy packaging. This release really deserves better than a flimsy digipack. At least give us a slipcover to house it in.

3. No booklet or liner notes. Once again, this release deserves better.
Old 05-27-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is with the $hitty looking cover? Couldn't they have found a quality pic of the band in action from that era?
Old 05-27-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

focus on the music, guys. this is nothing short of amazing. Moby Dick is now playing on my stereo. this is something fans have deserved for 30 years.

the CD is a "companion" to the DVD. the DVD has lots of info.
Old 05-27-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hollowgen
focus on the music, guys. this is nothing short of amazing. Moby Dick is now playing on my stereo. this is something fans have deserved for 30 years.

the CD is a "companion" to the DVD. the DVD has lots of info.
It's gonna be hard to focus on the music in a couple of years when my flimsy cd housing is in tatters and I have nowhere to put the discs.
Old 05-27-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 05-27-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hollowgen
BTW, thanks for telling me what I should base my opinion on. I think most people think that if something id worth doing, it is worth doing right. And as far as everything but the music goes, this package was done wrong.
Old 05-27-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
It's gonna be hard to focus on the music in a couple of years when my flimsy cd housing is in tatters and I have nowhere to put the discs.
So do you throw your CD cases all over the room when you listen to the music?

I have Digipacs from several years ago that are still in perfect condition...not in taters and I listened to the CDs constantly. Same with DVD digipacks and snappers. Mine are all still in perfect condition.

What are you guys the Timex gorillas or something?

It's called taking care of your possesions. Now stop complaining and listen to Stairway.
Old 05-27-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm gonna have to run to the store and buy these now hehe, I forgot when I was out. I can't wait!

BTW, am I the only person who like digipaks? I also like Jewels with cardboard slips, am I crazy? hehe
Old 05-27-03, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by palebluedot
Now stop complaining and listen to Stairway.
I think many of us would rather not (many people not my self, but many people hate stairway with a passion due to its "extreme overplaying")
Old 05-28-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
BTW, thanks for telling me what I should base my opinion on. I think most people think that if something id worth doing, it is worth doing right. And as far as everything but the music goes, this package was done wrong.
;-) sorry to have made you so angry. i didn't mean to sound demanding... that was just my initial fanboy defensive attitude.

anyway, the packaging is pretty boring, you're right. but i'd take the music if it were on unmarked cds in paper envelopes. it's just that good.
Old 05-28-03, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

screw the packaging..its the content that counts for me..the sound quality on this is nthing short of amazing and the performances are excellent. For once Plants voice is in great shape . beleive me Ive heard a few bootlegs of them live and most times it sounds like he gargled with razor blades. The DVD is excelelnt as well. They did a great job mastering all this audio and video thats 30 some years old. Im glad they cut corners on the packaging and not the content!
Old 05-28-03, 09:10 AM

I'm very happy with this set, and then I turned on the DTS then my personal fave song (In My Time of Dying) came on I didn't even bother to care about the packaging as long as it had the songlist... I was happy.
Old 05-28-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They definetly cut corners on the packaging, but who cares? If they would have spent more on packaging, it would have meant you would have to spend more at the store. $30 for a CD and DVD live set of the second greatest (only to the Stones sorry ) rock and roll band ever, is incredible!
Old 05-28-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Too bad the dvd didn't have Heartbreaker (but I'm sure there are other songs with Page showing off)
Old 05-28-03, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Too bad the dvd didn't have Heartbreaker (but I'm sure there are other songs with Page showing off)
I'm surprised that neither the CD or DVD include "Ramble On," "Good Times Bad Times," "The Lemon Song" or "Livin' Lovin' Maid". I know they can't include them all, but out of everything they excluded, I thought these might be in there somewhere.

~MD~

Last edited by HighSpeedOnIce; 05-28-03 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just a little FYI... This title is rumored as coming out on DVD-A in the very near future... The rumors seem to imply that the mix is done.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=136701

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/dar...eases03_1Q.htm

So, if you haven't picked this CD up yet and are DVD-A ready, you might want to consider hanging loose for a bit and enjoying the DVD-V set... A full hi-res surround mix would render the CD pretty useless IMHO...
Old 05-28-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yep...the dvd and cd both have Dazed and Confused with extended soloing from Page
Old 05-28-03, 05:53 PM
Banned

I didn't buy this album yet but I really want to.

I read an interview with Page through Guitarworld magazine, and the reason he said he wanted the 3 disc live set to have different concerts was that he wanted to show the fans of how amazing Led Zeppelin were in live shows.

There are not many Led Zeppelin live albums that has pure amazing sound. Most of the Led Zeppelin bootlegs are crappy.

That was why Page put together the "How the West Was Won" compilation was to show a variety of concerts with great live sound.
Old 05-28-03, 05:54 PM
Banned

And I agree about the CD packaging, CD packaging is not important. I would buy any album as long as the music is good.
Old 05-29-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is also good about the cd is that it flows perfectly so, there are no portions where you can tell they edited it.
Old 05-29-03, 09:43 PM
Banned

What is also good about the cd is that it flows perfectly so, there are no portions where you can tell they edited it.
Actually, Page did said he admitted editing some of them songs on the live album to get a pure amazing sound. Page even overdubbed some new guitar parts over some live songs just like he did with the Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions album.
Old 05-30-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've now listened to this set 3 times in three days and I still love every second of it.

John Bonham's drum solo for 15 minutes completely rocked my world.

I am on the road this week and refuse to watch the DVD on my laptop. It deserves to be played on the home theater.
Old 05-30-03, 04:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
[....] Page [....] admitted editing some of them songs on the live album to get a pure amazing sound. [....]
Maybe the point being made before was that you can't tell.

I'm buying the new DVD next week as a present to myself: I am more of a fan of live music when either I am there or it comes with video then I am with a plain live CD.

That said, I have the BBC Led Zep sessions!
Old 05-31-03, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
I've now listened to this set 3 times in three days and I still love every second of it.

John Bonham's drum solo for 15 minutes completely rocked my world.

ditto. just wait until you see it on the DVD.
Old 06-01-03, 05:29 AM

Led Zeppelin DVD/CD question

I'm confused as to which material is on which of these materials..
does the CD have the same material as the DVD?....Does it have more/less?....Or is two totally different sets of music?...

To my understanding its two completely different sets

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.