Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Picked up the Led Zeppelin live cd

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Picked up the Led Zeppelin live cd

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I was looking at these yesterday at Best Buy.

The material on the CD(s) was recorded in 1972 at shows in Long Beach and Los Angeles.

The DVD material is taken (mainly) from various concerts from '70, '73, '75 and '79.

Sure, some of the songs are the same but they are different performances.
Old 06-01-03, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Tom Opus said, both the CD and the DVD are repeated songs but the performances are way different. That's why I find Led Zeppelin so amazing. I smell them reuniting soon, Jimmy Page wants to play with Jones and Plant again but who knows, anything can happen.
Old 06-01-03, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Too bad the dvd didn't have Heartbreaker (but I'm sure there are other songs with Page showing off)
Well, if you play the Credits option from the menu on either DVD they show a collage of bootleg footage of Heartbreaker from what looks like MSG. Its only the first two verses and choruses though, no solo.
Old 06-02-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
I smell them reuniting soon, Jimmy Page wants to play with Jones and Plant again but who knows, anything can happen.
i don't know dude.... they seem pretty unwilling to do it without bonzo, in every interview i've seen/read.
Old 06-10-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
Just a little FYI... This title is rumored as coming out on DVD-A in the very near future... The rumors seem to imply that the mix is done.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=136701

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/dar...eases03_1Q.htm

So, if you haven't picked this CD up yet and are DVD-A ready, you might want to consider hanging loose for a bit and enjoying the DVD-V set... A full hi-res surround mix would render the CD pretty useless IMHO...
And as a follow up to this post... > "Atlantic is right now preparing a DVD-Audio for Led Zeppelin's How The West Was Won. That's right. 5.1 powerage for a rockin' set. Look for this gem in the Fall." < http://www.musictap.net 6/10/03

Needless to say, if you are DVD-A equipped, this will be a must have release... If you're not DVD-A ready, this might me the push that you need... A full blown high res DVD-A or SACD on a nice system makes a CD sound like the cassette tape that's been under your car seat for a decade...
Old 07-16-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ And more info surfaces on the Zep DVD-A via musictap 7/16 > "On October 7, The Eagles have a TBA title slated. The package is expected to be a 2CD set. A special edition with a bonus DVD is scheduled for the same day as well. This date is also the expected date for the DVD-Audio of Led Zeppelin's How The West Was Won.".

Guess I'll start a thread about the DVD-A in a few months...
Old 07-26-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm guessing that dvd is for everyone that owns a dvd player?
Old 10-25-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its out currently, anyone have it yet and can compare the two versions (the dvda and the cd since imo on the home theater, the cd sounds damn good)
Old 10-27-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rypro - If you don't have a DVD-A player, just stick to the CD. You can play a DVD-A in any DVD player (this particular DVD-A contains a dolby digital track) but what's the point if you can't listen to the high resolution MLP DVD-A track?

Anyway, here's a review (one man's opinion) that will answer your question > http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=14072126

I don't have this yet and it hasn't been in the budget with everything else coming out in the last month... But, when I do get around to picking it up, I'll post my thoughts.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 10-27-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-29-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another > http://www.musictap.net/Reviews/LedZ...asWonDVDA.html
Old 12-21-09, 11:22 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Picked up the Led Zeppelin live cd

Granted, compressed, and lossy, but with the iTunes giftcard my daughter gave me for Christmas, we celebrated early, I am going to buy this. I rarely listen to CD's in their native form any more (from a convenience perspective).

Thus, the 256k iTunes+ versions will be it for me. But I am looking forward to it. I have wanted this since release date, but never got around to making the purchase........
Old 12-22-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JLB

Thus, the 256k iTunes+ versions will be it for me. But I am looking forward to it. I have wanted this since release date, but never got around to making the purchase........

No worries, that's all you need, all this back and forth about packaging, etc., just hit play and I guarantee you won't regret the purchase, incredible live set.
Old 12-23-09, 10:05 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome.