Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Poison/Vince Neil/Skid Row review & ticket buying lesson

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-27-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The pavillion had been sold out for weeks, so I never bothered buying the lawn seats in advance - why pay the convenience charges for lawn tics, right?

I had always heard stories about extra seats being made available just before showtime when record execs cancel/don't use 'em/etc, but have never tried that before. Till this weekend.

About an hour before showtime, we walked up to the ticket counter and scored 10th row, dead center! Boy, did I feel sorry for the people who bought lawn tics way in advance!

SKID ROW had a very good 35-minute set, full of energy. The new singer hit all the notes and made us forget he was replacing Sebastian Bach. My girlfriend & I sneaked even further for this set and ended up 3rd row -- I caught the drumstick!!!

VINCE NEIL did a 45-minute set of all Motley Crue songs except for 1 of his solo songs (You're Invited But...). While it was fun seeing him - it was weird seeing him without Motley and he just seemed to be sleepwalking through the thing. After him being on The Surreal Life, and now this lazy performance, it's clear he just needs a paycheck.

POISON - what can I say? There is no band on earth with as much energy and enthusiasm as these guys, total nonstop. Voice and instruments were tight but it's the performance that makes this a party. With people dancing in the aisles; more fire, fireworks and sparklers than a 4th of July show; and a crowd-spanning confetti drop.... this is a party!

Last edited by GuessWho; 05-27-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-27-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Man that sounds like a terrific show, I heard that show advertised and toyed with the idea of going, but couldn't see paying the ticket price plus all the ticket charges for the show.. No way I"m paying like almost 40-50 a ticket to see bands I saw back in the hayday.. I wish I thought to do what you did though..
Old 05-27-03, 10:56 AM

I was planning on flying to Toronto (halfway across Canada) to see Poison but decided against it. I did the trip last year and it was well worth it (check out my review and pics at www.metal-rules.com) . Poison put on one hell of a show and are worth the tix price on their own. Hopefully i'll see them next year.

As for Skid Row... I have no desire to see them without Baz.Just not the same.
Vince i'd like to see but he should concentrate on mainly solo stuff with a couple Motley tunes tossed in.Save the Crue stuff for the CRUE!!!!!
Old 05-27-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the review! I've got tickets to see 'em on June 22 at Bonner Springs, KS. I was wondering how Skid Row would be without Bach, but now it sounds promising.

Hopefully Vince stays sober enough to put on a good show when I get to see him. I've never seen the Crue live but always wanted to, so this will have to do.
Old 05-27-03, 12:22 PM

It's a smart move to do what you did. It takes quite an event to sell out an arena show, so tickets are usually available even up to the last few days before the show due to no shows of people "in the biz" etc.

My older brother used to work at a record store and people who worked for the Wolrd Music Theatre (now Tweeter Center) would give him tickets to undersold shows that had a sale price of like $3. He went and saw Poison, L.A Guns, Ratt and Great White for free practically.
Old 05-27-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I had attended the Poison tour last year when Winger was with them. And yes...you read that correctly.

I saw them the year before that with Warrant & some other band (free tickets). I was never a big fan of Poison but I have to admit that Poison does put on a great show. The Warrant dude was fat & they were disappointing.
Old 05-27-03, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
I wish I had attended the Poison tour last year when Winger was with them. And yes...you read that correctly.

I saw them the year before that with Warrant & some other band
Last year = Poison, Cinderella (never liked 'em), Winger (sounded great), and Faster Pussycat (skipped them)

Year before = Poison, Warrant (I thought they played well), Quiet Riot (I enjoyed the 2 songs I knew), and Enuff Z'Nuff(skipped them)

Last edited by GuessWho; 05-28-03 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-27-03, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's right. Quiet Riot. I thought they were pretty good to be as old as they looked. I was a big fan of the album Mental Health so it was pretty cool hearing Slick Black Cadillac live!

Just like you , I believe we missed Faster Pussycat. Warrant did play well but their show lacked energy.

And dammit...I hate to see that Winger sounded great. I think I am one of the few people who actually liked their third album "Pull" and actually thought about purchasing Kip Winger's solo album. (Iforgot to pick it up & have never seen it since)
Old 05-28-03, 12:04 AM

I too went to the Poison/Cinderella/Winger/Faster Pussycat show last year. I never like Winger very much, but they are really good live. Faster Pussycat really stinks. They all look like Maryln Manson clones. Come on guys, your in your 40's! Cinderella was good and Poison was great. This tour keeps getting worse though in terms of talent. How can they charge that much for so little value now.
Old 05-29-03, 08:31 AM

GuessWho,
email me when you get a chance.tks
bob

celticbob71athotmaildotcom
Old 05-29-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to the tour a couple years ago when it was Poison, Quiet Riot, Vince Neil, and Enuf Z Nuff. Man that was a good show. We missed Enuff Z Nuff but everyone else was great, even Vince Neil doing all Motely Crue but maybe 1 or 2 songs. And Poison was just awesome, so much energy from those guys.
Old 05-30-03, 01:57 AM

hmmm...i think i just might try that ticket buying strategy for lollapalooza this summer. i hope i get lucky!