DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   KISS Fans: Anybody read Gene's book? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/294894-kiss-fans-anybody-read-genes-book.html)

Scot1458 05-26-03 09:19 PM

KISS Fans: Anybody read Gene's book?

Just got done reading gene's KISS and Tell book...hmmmmmm

wondering if anybody else read it and what they thought. I knew Gene was a complete #$%^& before, but I think he is even more of a #$%^ now.

Giantrobo 05-27-03 12:54 AM

I haven't read it.

Everytime I see it I laugh to myself and think, "There's no way half the crap in that book is true or <b>honest</b>". :lol:

Gene $immons = Bullshyte Rex

Josh-da-man 05-27-03 03:36 AM

I haven't read it, but the older I get the more I find Gene irritates me.

Aging, self-important, money-grubbing huckster.

Dubya 05-27-03 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I haven't read it, but the older I get the more I find Gene irritates me.

Aging, self-important, money-grubbing huckster.

Same here, and also from what I understand he is relentless in his bashing of Ace and Peter for drinking/doing drugs to the point of overkill.

Scot1458 05-27-03 09:22 AM

the book should have been called either "I'm the greatest thing in the world", or "Ace Frehley: The Antichrist".

He spends 40% of the book stating how great he his/how many girls he nailed, 40% of the book to bash Ace, and the remaing 20% to bash Peter and everything else.

I got the book as a gift, otherwise I would have never of read it. I mean he is just resentless on Ace, calling him a Nazi and...basically gay.

Peter gets a little better treatment, Paul is harldy mentioned....

I'm seeing KISS this August, and I"ll be looking at Paul the entire time. I've been delousioned with Gene for some time now, and this only solidifies to me he is a #$%^&.

Read it, it is entertaining in a car wreck way.

Heat 05-27-03 03:23 PM

I read the book, and actually came out with more respect for Simmons. He is a great musician, and a great marketer.

Sure, he bashes Ace, but I can see the reasoning behind it. He should have canned Ace back in the 70s and many of Kiss' troubles would have gone away.

Josh-da-man 05-27-03 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Heat
I read the book, and actually came out with more respect for Simmons. He is a great musician, and a great marketer.

Sure, he bashes Ace, but I can see the reasoning behind it. He should have canned Ace back in the 70s and many of Kiss' troubles would have gone away.

Yeah, they could've been putting out crap like "Crazy Nights" years earlier.

Josh-da-man 05-27-03 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Scot1458

I got the book as a gift, otherwise I would have never of read it. I mean he is just resentless on Ace, calling him a Nazi and...basically gay.

Gene shouldn't be calling anybody gay. I've heard his solo album. Jiminy Cricket. Geez.

Add that to him bragging about tearing off more ass than Clinton, and you start to wonder if he isn't over-compensating for something.

fsubruce 05-27-03 05:59 PM

Gene has just released a new book titled "Sex Money Kiss". I looked through it at Barnes and Noble and it seems to be based around his philosophies on the topics mentioned in the title. Has anybody read it yet?

cultshock 05-27-03 06:17 PM

I've been a KISS fan for years, but to me, Gene just comes off as an arrogant blowhard. I really have no interest in reading any more of his self-indulgence, especially if he talks so much s**t about Ace (who has had his problems for sure, but I've always seen him as just a loveable f**k-up :lol: ).

KevinSmithIsGod 05-27-03 06:53 PM

Gene is a financial genius. End of story.

I read KISS and Tell and agree with 99.9% of his views..

Just started reading the new book and I feel like Im looking into the mind of a genius...

I wish I had half the balls and money this guy had..

Everyone calls him greedy but he has the right idea..
Once you get a little taste of money you want more and more..
Earning money is his hobby..plain and simple...
Just like some of us avidly collect CDs and DVDs..he does this with cash..can ya blame him?

Giantrobo 05-27-03 07:04 PM

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

I read KISS and Tell and agree with 99.9% of his views..

Just started reading the new book and I feel like Im looking into the mind of a genius...

I wish I had half the balls and money this guy had..

Everyone calls him greedy but he has the right idea..
Once you get a little taste of money you want more and more..
Earning money is his hobby..plain and simple...
Just like some of us avidly collect CDs and DVDs..he does this with cash..can ya blame him?

From Citizen Kane... it's funny how these quotes fit Gene

<b>Thompson:</b> He made an awful lot of money.
<b>Bernstein:</b> Well, it's no trick to make a lot of money... if what you want to do is make a lot of money.

and

<b>Charles Foster Kane:</b> You know, Mr. Bernstein, if I hadn't been very rich, I might have been a really great man.

Dubya 05-27-03 08:50 PM

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod

Read "Kiss and Sell" by C.K. Lendt and it becomes difficult to call Gene a finanical genius.

Giantrobo 05-27-03 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Dubya
Read "Kiss and Sell" by C.K. Lendt and it becomes difficult to call Gene a finanical genius.
:up:

As long as -someone else- tells "gene's story" there's a good chance you'll actually get TRUTH....

Scot1458 05-27-03 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Dubya
this was the one written by their accountant right? I remember reading parts of it some time ago. If you look at what Gene has done recently, most of his dealings have gone down the toilet. His record company is gone, Detroit Rock City flopped, and his "movie production" is toast.

Gene is no finanical genius, he's a greedy whore....and his need to gratify himself with the way he treats women tells me he has some major pyschological problems.

I do give him credit for being honest about himself, but I do not repsect the man at all. I pity him actually.

And if he was so smart, he would have never of hired Ace and Peter in the begining, as he states they were problems from the start. Why didn't he kick them out years ago?

cultshock 05-28-03 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Scot1458
this was the one written by their accountant right? I remember reading parts of it some time ago. If you look at what Gene has done recently, most of his dealings have gone down the toilet. His record company is gone, Detroit Rock City flopped, and his "movie production" is toast.

Gene is no finanical genius, he's a greedy whore....and his need to gratify himself with the way he treats women tells me he has some major pyschological problems.

I do give him credit for being honest about himself, but I do not repsect the man at all. I pity him actually.

And if he was so smart, he would have never of hired Ace and Peter in the begining, as he states they were problems from the start. Why didn't he kick them out years ago?

:up:

I've read that book too. KISS (mostly Gene) has made alot of dumb business moves over the years (especially at the end of the 70s/beginning of the 80s) so I really couldn't call him a genius. But, don't think that I despise him or anything. He rubs me the wrong way at times, but I still have my Mego action figure of him sitting on the shelf with the others in a place of honour. :lol: