DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Straight Edge (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/294572-straight-edge.html)

89981 05-24-03 07:41 PM

Straight Edge

Somebody told me the guys from afi are straight edge. Does anyone know what that means?

Ergyu 05-24-03 09:43 PM

They don't participate in Drugs or Alcohol. That's the gist. Some of them are vegens too, and they can get pretty violent. Sometimes it's like a frickin gang too, like beating up people who eat meat or choose to do drugs and what not. But for the most part, it usually means they've chosen to not do drugs or alcohol.

Hiro11 05-24-03 10:27 PM

Straight Edge by Minor Threat:

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and **** my head
Hang out with the living dead
Snort white **** up my nose
Pass out at the shows
I don't even think about speed
That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and smoke dope
'Cause I know I can cope
Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
Always gonna keep in touch
Never want to use a crutch

I've got the straight edge
It's the song that started it all. Quite possibly the most annoying, sophomoric teenage "movement" ever.

Jackskeleton 05-24-03 10:43 PM

I dunno, No drugs, No booze.. seems like something the government would love teens to follow.

Back in high school I enjoyed Minor threat a great deal even though I didn't declare myself straight edge, I never did drugs and booze back then. :p

cerial442 05-25-03 01:16 AM

I am edge, and I would hardly call it sophomoric. Sure, some idiots out there due it as a trend to be cool, but some like myself see it as a serious lifestyle. Sorry if I sound overbearing, but I am a little offended by the movement being called "sophomoric". Plus before you jump to any conclusions, I am not a teenager.

Now, the ones that follow in gangs and beat up people are called Hardline Straight Edge. Yeah they are the annoying ones. They are the ones who say you can't have caffeine, or eat meat or anything like that. If you don’t follow by their rules, will attack you with violence, which is sad because hardcore music promotes unity. They don't represent the whole straight edge movement at all. They are a small blimp in the radar.

Now straight edge does mean no drugs or alcohol or no smoking. By drugs I mean the illegal kind. It is a different story for medication that you need for an illness. The no alcohol is self explanatory.

Straight edge, for me at least, has no effect on if you drink caffeine. You can also still be straight edge and eat hamburgers.

Also there is no sex involving one night stands and such. This is the most controversial topic in straight edge. Some see it as no sex at all until you are married, and some see that it is okay, as long as you truly care about the person.

I don't see straight edge as a trend (well for me). It is a very difficult lifestyle to follow. I was introduced to it through hardcore music, and at the shows I go to (about two or three a month) only a few are edge, so for me it is not a trend. Also like I said before I am over 21, so it is not some teenage thing ether. It is a way to improve you.

das Monkey 05-25-03 01:22 PM

Heh ... the fact that it's a "movement" is what's sophomoric.

How you choose to lead your life is great for yourself. Labelling it, and condescending to those who don't follow along (as the movement is known to do) is pretty silly IMO.

das

Cornholio 05-25-03 02:29 PM

im not sXe but theres some good straight edge bands

minor threat
ten yard fight
project x

i thought just davey from afi is sXe i wouldnt consider afi a sXe band

cerial442 05-25-03 04:42 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Heh ... the fact that it's a "movement" is what's sophomoric.

How you choose to lead your life is great for yourself. Labelling it, and condescending to those who don't follow along (as the movement is known to do) is pretty silly IMO.

das

I wasn't trying to "condescend anyone who didn't follow along". The guy asked what stright edge was, and I gave him a meaning to it. Like I mentioned above, those who do condescend others who are not stright edge are called Hardline stright edge. There is a difference. I don't try to preach to others, if I see someone drinking, good for them. I listen to bands like High on Fire, Black Label Society, and Superjoint Ritual.

I do take offense to it being called sophomoric. I get alot of **** being edge. I decided to do it for myself. I am sure you would also take offense if someone called you believe or live your life sophomoric or idotic.

I never once labeled anyone who wasn't edge either. If you are edge, great way to go. If you are not edge, great way to go fine by me.

Being straight edge is important to me, the same way your "get Bonnie Hammer fired" movement is important to you. Well important may not be the best word, but you catch my drift.

So tell me this, what about it is sophmoric? The fact that edge people don't drink? Is it the fact that we don't smoke? Is it the fact we do this as a means to improve ourselves?

If it is because straight edge kids are preachy, then read this post again, and the one before. Only a small few are like that.

das Monkey 05-25-03 05:02 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth cerial442 •<HR SIZE=1>I wasn't trying to "condescend anyone who didn't follow along".<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say you did. I clearly indicated that my comments were about a portion of the movement, not you personally. My apologies if that wasn't clear ... it should be clear now.

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth cerial442 •<HR SIZE=1>I am sure you would also take offense if someone called you believe or live your life sophomoric or idotic.<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Idiotic" is your word. There's a significant difference between someone refering to the Straight Edge movement as sophomoric and calling your personal beliefs idiotic.

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth cerial442 •<HR SIZE=1>So tell me this, what about it is sophmoric? The fact that edge people don't drink? Is it the fact that we don't smoke? Is it the fact we do this as a means to improve ourselves?

If it is because straight edge kids are preachy, then read this post again, and the one before. Only a small few are like that.
<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I said earlier, it is my opinion that the fact that it's a "movement" with labels and marketing attached to it is sophomoric. This does not make the people involved with it idiots or speak negatively about the way they live their lives. It also doesn't speak to every member, but is a general observation of the movement as a whole. You shouldn't confuse a distaste for the way Straight Edge has presented itself in the past with a disdain for people who practice the general philosophies of not drinking, smoke, or doing drugs.

And for clarity, you should not confuse the comments in this thread about Straight Edge to be an indictment of the way you choose to live your life.

das

P.S. My goal is not for Bonnie Hammer to be fired. I would like for her to be teleported to a Hell dimension and tortured for all eternity. If one results from the other, so be it. :)

Trigger 05-27-03 05:15 AM

I was sXe in high school complete with the X on the hand and whatnot - then in college, I was just a guy who didn't drink or take drugs. I doubt AFI is straight edge... I'm sure those guys have sex with groupies. Non-hetero intercourse is still sex.

Josh H 05-27-03 12:06 PM

Yep straight edge is no drugs, no alcohol, and often no promiscous sex.

I love Minor Threat, but I never got into the straight edge thing. I've always liked partying too much.

But I certainly have no problem with anyone that obstains from those things (shorter lines at the bars ;)).

I do have a problem with the vocal minority of the straight edge "movement" that is extremely condescending to others.

Live your life how ever you want (as long as your not bothering/hurting anyone else) and let others do the same.

Josh-da-man 05-27-03 05:16 PM

I know someone who, about 7-10 years ago, had a lot of trouble with the straight-edgers. The ones that behaved like a violent gang or whatever. Sort of sound like leftist skinheads.

God, I can't remember where she was from, but I'm thinking northern midwest like Detroit or Chicago.

Anyway, she said you'd get straight-edgers at clubs, they'd come in as a group and do crap like knock drinks out of people's hands and try to start fights. She also said they'd occasionally, en masse jump people in parking lots.

I've had exactly zero experience with straight-edgers (never seemed to be any of them where I've lived), but I've heard enough horror stories to make me really dislike the movement.

Jesus, I bought AFI's "Sing the Sorrow" at Circuit City on sale last week. I haven't opened it yet, but I might return it now.

evenflow 05-27-03 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Jesus, I bought AFI's "Sing the Sorrow" at Circuit City on sale last week. I haven't opened it yet, but I might return it now.

You should return it, IMO. For the only reason that it sucks big balls.

Also Straight Edge sounds really lame. I'd understand if you didn't want to have drugs or alcohol but beating up people who do? WTF?
so Straight Edge: drugs and alcohol are no-no but gothic long hair with makeup and a bunch of Mickey Mouse tattoos on both arms is ok?

Buford T Pusser 05-28-03 01:35 AM

I just watched the Kevin Smith college tour DVD today and he was saying that Jason Mewes used to be straight edge. It was the first time I'd heard of that. He said he didn't smoke, drink, do drugs or have sex, but he now does all of them.

MJKTool 05-28-03 01:56 AM

Am I the only one who has never even heard of "straight Edge"? :hscratch:

Buford T Pusser 05-28-03 07:39 AM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Am I the only one who has never even heard of "straight Edge"? :hscratch:
well like I said I had never heard the term b4 yesterday.