DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Worst Pop Song Ever (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/294535-worst-pop-song-ever.html)

NCMojo 05-24-03 04:38 PM

Worst Pop Song Ever

All of today, for whatever reason, I have had the song "Micky" by Toni Basil in my mind. I am ready now to proclaim this the worst pop song of all time, hands down.

To be fair... let's exclude all novelty songs, like Tiny Tim's "Tiptoe Through The Tulips". And you can only count songs that made the top 40 in the US -- no B-sides, no obscure acts.

What do you think? Does any song knock "Micky" from it's exalted perch?

Groucho 05-24-03 04:50 PM

Come on, not very many songs have a cheerleader chant as part of the refrain.

Plus, that chubby cheerleader in the video gives me the HOT!

Rocky_Stallone 05-24-03 04:58 PM

I hate anything by the Culture Club.

Boy George scares me, he's even worse than Michael Jackson IMO.

das Monkey 05-24-03 05:00 PM

Any discussion like this must include the collected works of Captain and Tenille.

How about 'Midnight at the Oasis' or 'Afternoon Delight'.

Or 'Escape (The Pina Colada Song)'.

das

the aftermath 05-24-03 05:30 PM

Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyy Macarena!

Jason 05-24-03 07:39 PM

How about 99 Red Balloons? That was pretty stupid.

inVectiVe 05-24-03 10:33 PM

I have a special place in my heart for "Mickey." I liked it when I was growing up, rediscovered it on VH-1's [Insert whatever nostalgia program it was here], and promoted it to one of my favorites (!) when it was used to close out the most important achievement in cinematic history: Bring It On.

The song that's really burrowing deep beneath my skin at the moment is that "Let's Get This Party Started" song by Pink (right?). I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Matt 05-24-03 11:24 PM

My contributions:

Eddie Murphy's "Party All the Time"

Don Johnson's "Heartlight" or whatever it was called

Snow's "Informer"

Hiro11 05-24-03 11:25 PM

Paul Anka: "She's Having My Baby"
Lobo: "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"
After the Fire: "Der Kommisar"
Divynyls: "I Touch Myself"
4 Non-Blondes: "What's Up" (wins the prize for the worst pop vocal of all time...)

inVectiVe 05-25-03 12:05 AM

Hows abouts Chumbawamba's [sp?] "Tubthumping" or "Tubthumper" or "Tubthumpable" or "Tubthumpinator" or whatever it was called? Even if I manage to live until well past the time when the sun burns out, I never wanna hear that again! :grunt:

Rogue588 05-25-03 12:50 AM

I find it hard to believe ya'll have to go to the past, when there's so much suckekekekeke in today's "Pop" music..

howzabout we bring this discussion to the present..

ANY song by Christina Aguilera, Destiny's Child, or any given boy band.

ahhh screw it...most of what's considered "Pop" today sucks...

Hollowgen 05-26-03 02:55 AM

"Loving the Alien" by David Bowie. good god man, he really wasted his talent in the 80's when he decided that blue was his best color.

eedoon 05-26-03 08:11 AM

Britney Spears, anyone?

fsubruce 05-26-03 08:38 AM

"I've Been To Paradise But I've Never Been To Me" - Anybody remember this one? If so, I'm sure you'll agree that it's the worst song ever...

cactusoly 05-26-03 09:56 AM

I don't like Britney Spears for her music anyway... I don't think any grown man does.

TomOpus 05-26-03 10:19 AM

Another vote for "Afternoon Delight"

I'd also nominate John Denver "Thank God I'm a Country Boy"

MJKTool 05-26-03 01:25 PM

Shut up from Kelly Osbourne

Daytripper 05-26-03 07:23 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Any discussion like this must include the collected works of Captain and Tenille.

How about 'Midnight at the Oasis' or 'Afternoon Delight'.

Or 'Escape (The Pina Colada Song)'.

das

Damn you das, "MATO" and "Afternoon Delight" were the first two songs that popped in my head ;)

How about "Undercover Angel". Or "Seasons in the Sun"??

Daytripper 05-26-03 07:26 PM

Also....Don't know if it's the worst....but Minnie Ripperton's "Loving You" is certainly the most annoying pop song I've ever heard.

Michael T Hudson 05-26-03 11:10 PM

Anything from American Idol. ;)

Rypro 525 05-26-03 11:26 PM

Life goes on- (ah damn it, forgot her name, did that country song "how do I live" or something like that)

lostatmidnight 05-27-03 01:40 AM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Anything from American Idol. ;)
:lol:

BJacks 05-27-03 02:43 AM

"Barbie Girl" by Aqua.

Tom Banjo 05-27-03 05:29 AM

"It's Raining Men." If I die and go to Hell, that's the song that'll be on an endless loop for all eternity.

TheAllPurposeNothing 05-27-03 12:28 PM

The two unisputed kings here are:

"Run, Joey, Run" by David Geddes (his "Blindman in the Bleachers" also gets an honorable mention)

and

"Convoy" by CW McCall (which somehow inspired Peckinpah to make a film version).

<shiver>