Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

90's Punk better then today's Junk.

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-23-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://theonion.com/onion3919/90s_punk.html

90's PUNK Decrise punk of today

BERKELEY, CA—Nineties punk Drew Tolbert, 29, expressed scorn Monday for the punks of today, denouncing them as "phony poseurs unworthy of the word 'punk.'"

"These kids today have no idea what real punk is," said Tolbert, who called himself "Steve Spew" from 1992 until May 1999, when he was forced to revert to his real name to take a job at Roberto's Custom Auto Upholstery. "Those so-called punk bands they listen to today? Sum 41? Good Charlotte? The Ataris? They're not punk. Back in the day, man, we used to listen to the real deal: Rancid, The Offspring, NOFX, Green Day. Those guys were what true punk rock was all about. Today's stuff is just a pale, watered-down imitation. There's no comparison."

Recalling the glory days of the '90s, Tolbert waxed nostalgic for a few moments before condemning today's punks.

"They can talk all they want about how much punk means to them, but the simple fact is, they weren't there," Tolbert said. "These kids today have no sense of history. They don't know about Pennywise. They barely know about Epitaph Records. Most of them don't even know about Green Day's legendary appearance in '94 at the L.A. Coliseum. It was a watershed, one-of-a-kind moment in the history of youth rebellion, and if you didn't live through it, as I did, you'll never get it, no matter how punk you pretend to be."

Tolbert's disdain for the current punks encompasses not only their musical tastes, but also their style of dress.

"Punk is more than just a Mohawk hairstyle," Tolbert said. "For us back in the '90s, punk was a way of life. I see these kids today hanging around Gilman Street in their leather jackets with their wallet chains, and I just want to say to them, 'You think punk is a costume, man?' Back in'93, it was about so much more: It was a rebellion against outmoded belief systems. It was a cry of outrage against the repressive authority of the Clinton Administration."

"I saw some kid wearing a Sex Pistols T-shirt the other day—he couldn't have been more than 9 when the Pistols did their Filthy Lucre reunion tour," Tolbert said. "I was like, 'You can listen to the music, you can wear the T-shirt, but I was there.' I had fifth-row seats at that goddamn stadium, man, right up front, close enough to see Johnny Rotten's wrinkles. Did you see an original member of The Clash play during Big Audio Dynamite II's last tour? Did you see two of the four original Ramones play at the KROQ Weenie Roast in '95? You did not, but I did. I swear to God, they're like a joke, these people."

Tolbert, who dropped out of Berkeley Community College in 1993 to spend a year skateboarding and living off his parents, was once a major fixture of Berkeley's punk-revival scene, although he still rejects that label.

"'Punk revival'... what ********," Tolbert said. "Anybody who says punk was 'back' in the '90s doesn't know what they're talking about, because punk never went away. Sure, you didn't hear about it as much in the mainstream corporate media, but punk was always around for the true believers like me and my friends."

According to friends, the young Tolbert was a shy but well-respected member of his high school's yearbook staff before adopting a punk-rock stance upon his enrollment at the community college. He later formed a band, Absence Of Dissent, but the band broke up before completing any recordings or playing any gigs.

"We could've been huge," Tolbert said. "Bigger than New Bomb Turks, even. But all the greatest punk bands fell apart before their time. That's what happened to Darby Crash of the Germs, and that's what happened to us, except we didn't die of drug overdoses, and we came along about 15 years later. But the pretty-boy pretend punks of 2003 could never understand that."

"The thing I can't stand is when they get all self-righteous and act like I'm the one who doesn't 'get it,'" Tolbert continued. "That attitude is totally contrary to the whole inclusive spirit of what punk is all about."

Added Tolbert: "Don't try to be something you're not, man. That's what I say."
soo true.. sooo true.
Old 05-23-03, 10:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onion rocks (old-school Onion that is!)
Old 05-24-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny.
Old 05-24-03, 08:45 AM

Man I couldn't have said it better. I've never been a huge fan of punk, (Although I do like The Ramones and some of the earlier Green Day stuff.) But what people call punk today isn't punk at all in my opinion. I can't believe some people call Good Charlotte punk, when I hear their music and look at their videos I see a band trying too hard to portray an image that is not believable, and is at best laughable.
Old 05-24-03, 09:53 AM

"I saw some kid wearing a Sex Pistols T-shirt the other day—he couldn't have been more than 9 when the Pistols did their Filthy Lucre reunion tour...I had fifth-row seats at that goddamn stadium, man, right up front, close enough to see Johnny Rotten's wrinkles."

70's Punk. The real deal. And this is how it relates in the 00's!

God Save The Queen, indeed....
Old 05-24-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty funny stuff from the Onion.

Don't forget '80s punk though - that's when the underground went into high gear. One can easily write off the "latter day punks", but when you look at bands like The Dead Kennedys, The Circle Jerks, MDC, D.R.I., The Exploited (very, very bad ), and so many more, one simply can't fall back on "the only real punk is '70s punk".

Although, having said that, I personally prefer the punk of the '70s. Give me the Pistols, the Ramones, and the Clash over the '80s underground anyday. Sure, the Ramones were successful into the '80s, and so were the Clash, but they're really from the first wave.

God save the Queen, Punk's not dead... and all that rot.
Old 05-24-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hadn't read anything funny from the Onion in a while, but that's priceless.

das
Old 05-24-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty good piece from the Onion. I like teenager life philosophy.
Old 05-24-03, 06:01 PM
Banned

This is a good year. Rollins is touring with Keith Morris (circle jerks and original Black Flag frontman) doing Black Flag songs. Then a month later the Circle Jerks are touring. Oh yeah, X is on tour too.
Old 05-24-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X can tour for the next fifty years and I would not care. They are one of the best bands ever. People may think of Rollins when they think of Black Flag, but Greg Ginn was the heart of the band.
Old 05-24-03, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ...except
This is a good year. Rollins is touring with Keith Morris (circle jerks and original Black Flag frontman) doing Black Flag songs. Then a month later the Circle Jerks are touring. Oh yeah, X is on tour too.
I saw Rollins fronting Black Flag back in the 80s in the basement of a frat house with about 20 people. The venue they were supposed to play at got cold feet. Pretty wild show.

These days Rollins is nothing more than a shameless sell out. Can't stand the guy anymore.

Seen X about a dozen times, including once on this latest tour. They're a shadow of their former selves but still worth seeing.
Old 05-24-03, 09:12 PM

Greg Ginn is doing a Black Flag reunion to raise money to save stray kittens. Or so I've heard.
Old 05-25-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the article. I was a Sex Pistols fan, etc. when the bands were still current. Back in the day indeed.
Old 05-25-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
I've always called the wave of 90s "punk" -- Green Day, Offspring, whatever -- Nintendo Punk.

But mallcore works, too.
Old 05-25-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the "punk" movement of the mid-90's was kind of "off", but today it's Onion-ized bigtime. That article is so close to the truth. I immersed myself in early/mid-80's punk, so I can't say that I was THERE when it all started. But it was a hell of a lot more fresh back then. I remember being fascinated by people walking around in mohawks in the early 80's. I'm not sure when that became passe (probably already was in '82), but today I often wonder what a kid is thinking who dresses like that. I don't have any problems with it, but I'm curious about it.

I had the chance to see Black Flag in '83 and the truth is I was afraid to see Rollins in a small club!! That's hilarious when I think about it today. I'm being serious. There were a few bands I just didn't want to be involved with in a tiny place. I got smashed around enough seeing the Replacements in a small place... I knew something nastier would probably be crazy as all get out. There was a time when Rollins was just menacing (long hair and all). My how things have changed.
Old 05-25-03, 10:39 AM

If you ask me "todays" punk is no more or no less punk than "90s" punk...

Although I will say "70s" punk is more the real deal than either of the above....
but whatever..I consider bands like new found glory, good charlotte, ataris etc...upbeat, fun,rock...kinda like the,dare i say, party bands of today...
Old 05-25-03, 02:30 PM
Banned

when i first read that i thought it was like a real article
Old 05-25-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Avril Lavigne: NO!!! I'm a punk rocker! I'm wearing a boy's tanktop! Look at my mad face! Bleaaah!! F it up! Suck it! Look! Watch! [ holds her hand up menacingly ] That's the English middle finger! Wrap your minds around that! I don't know who David.. Bow-ie is.. or the Sex.. Pie-stols.. I'm, like, 17, and they're, like, 100! So.. [ makes mad face ] ..bleaaahh!!

Tina Fey: Avril, do you have anything relevant to say..?

Avril Lavigne: I'm MAAAAD!! I have a paperclip! And put it in my ear!! I don't give a F! 'Cause I'm pissed!! And I'm a punk!
Old 05-25-03, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by outcastja
Avril Lavigne: NO!!! I'm a punk rocker! I'm wearing a boy's tanktop! Look at my mad face! Bleaaah!! F it up! Suck it! Look! Watch! [ holds her hand up menacingly ] That's the English middle finger! Wrap your minds around that! I don't know who David.. Bow-ie is.. or the Sex.. Pie-stols.. I'm, like, 17, and they're, like, 100! So.. [ makes mad face ] ..bleaaahh!!

Tina Fey: Avril, do you have anything relevant to say..?

Avril Lavigne: I'm MAAAAD!! I have a paperclip! And put it in my ear!! I don't give a F! 'Cause I'm pissed!! And I'm a punk!
Umm...yeah..she's not like that at all..but whatever..
Do I like her music, yes. Her album is a nice lil collection of pop rock tunes..
Do I think she is basically a music industry fabrication...OH YEAH..
Old 05-25-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth KevinSmithIsGod •<HR SIZE=1>Umm...yeah..she's not like that at all..but whatever..<HR SIZE=1>

Umm ... that's exactly what she's like. That's a transcript of a live interview. I saw it myself.

das
Old 05-25-03, 10:20 PM

And where did you see this interview?? I kinda find that hard to believe, sorry.
Old 05-25-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth KevinSmithIsGod •<HR SIZE=1>And where did you see this interview?? I kinda find that hard to believe, sorry. <HR SIZE=1>

It was on NBC. Its existence is not affected by your ability to believe in it. Do you think he just made all that up?

das
Old 05-26-03, 02:58 AM

what the? that is from a snl skit with tiny fey and some snl girl. are you saying that snl was recreating an actual interview that happened beforehand? because i highly doubt it. it was a hilarious skit btw.
Old 05-26-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tina Fey is more punk than Avril will ever be.
Old 05-26-03, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Rubix
what the? that is from a snl skit with tiny fey and some snl girl. are you saying that snl was recreating an actual interview that happened beforehand? because i highly doubt it. it was a hilarious skit btw.
Thats what I figured..that it wasnt REAL....
You guys dont actually think that skits on SNL are real, do you?
God I hope not...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.