DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Will you buy Ruben Studdard's album when it hits the shelves? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/294423-will-you-buy-ruben-studdards-album-when-hits-shelves.html)

Rocky_Stallone 05-23-03 09:11 PM

Will you buy Ruben Studdard's album when it hits the shelves?

After Ruben records and releases his album, would you buy it?

I probably would end up getting it. I'm not really into that type of music he does but his voice is just amazing though. With a good voice like Ruben's makes me want to listen to something like that. :)

Jackskeleton 05-23-03 09:38 PM

No. American Idol only shows one thing.. if the person can sing other's songs. I do not see any point to buy an album from someone who doesn't know how to write a song.

Groucho 05-23-03 10:04 PM

I'll probably download and burn a copy like I did with Kelly's album...and then only to play and mock it.

Michael T Hudson 05-23-03 10:21 PM

No way.

Numanoid 05-23-03 11:07 PM

Ruben who?

Josh-da-man 05-23-03 11:55 PM

No. I don't really like "pop" music enought to lay out cash for it.

I'll watch the show just for the entertainment value -- it's essentially gameshow karaoke, but at the end of the day, I don't actually care.

das Monkey 05-24-03 12:39 AM

No.

Last year, the more the competition progressed, the more impressive Kelly became. If she were singing something other than silly pop, I'd be intersted in hearing her. This year, with each successive performance, I realized how average Ruben's voice is. I can't think of any genre of music that can particularly benefit from him. He did a good job winning the contest, but that's about as much as I care. I'm more interested in hearing what Tamyra and Kelly (and maybe Clay) do next.

das

atlantamoi 05-24-03 06:55 AM

Nope. I like Ruben... actually he is the ONLY AI person I've ever heard where I would keep the radio on if I heard him (as long as the song is not as scary as the first Kelly single from last year).

I only watched AI for the cheesiness and fun. Buy that stuff? Icky.

Rocky_Stallone 05-24-03 09:25 AM

It's funny how people bash a singer when they haven't heard any songs from the album yet.

Pikul 05-24-03 09:51 AM

It's because he doesn't write his own songs, Rock! Not that he's been given a chance yet, but... c'mon... you just know the man can't have any actual talent!

When I sat down and looked at all the records in my collection "made" by people who had songs written primarily by other people, it made me realize just how untalented all those Motown/soul groups were in the '60s. So I got rid of them.

I don't think John Coltrane wrote anything on his first several recordings. What a hack, huh?

Rocky_Stallone 05-24-03 10:21 AM

So, there are lots of artists out there who doesn't write their own songs, hhhhmmmmmmmmm, we have:

-Elton John (Bernie Taupin, anyone?)
-The Grateful Dead (Robert Hunter write most of the dead songs)
-The Band (Robbie Robertson and the guys didn't write their own songs, they had other people write their lyrics and they covered Bob Dylan songs mostly)
-Meatloaf (He never wrote any of his own songs, he hired Steinman and other writers)

And a whole bunch more to name.

Just because a singer doesn't write their own songs doesn't make them talentless. There are very talented singers out there who doesn't know a thing about songwriting, that is the obvious reason why they hire songwriters to write music for them.

Alyoshka 05-24-03 10:38 AM

I would never buy his album because I don't enjoy his voice. Even when he sang at his best, I was bored by his singing. Clay's voice was able to impress me. Clay's range and power are better than most artists making music today.

Groucho 05-24-03 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
So, there are lots of artists out there who doesn't write their own songs, hhhhmmmmmmmmm, we have:

-Elton John (Bernie Taupin, anyone?)

Taupin only wrote the lyrics. John does the music.

DJLinus 05-24-03 11:14 AM

Just because a singer doesn't write their own songs doesn't make them talentless. There are very talented singers out there who doesn't know a thing about songwriting, that is the obvious reason why they hire songwriters to write music for them.
Yeah, I've got to agree with you there. The first thought that came to my mind were Frank Sinatra and other crooners of his day. Great stuff.

But, to answer your question, highly doubtful. Never heard the dude or watched an episode of AI (this season, anyway - only one last season).

Rocky_Stallone 05-24-03 11:38 AM

Elvis Presley didn't even write his own songs either so go figure. :)

das Monkey 05-24-03 12:44 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Rocky_Stallone •<HR SIZE=1>-Meatloaf (He never wrote any of his own songs, he hired Steinman and other writers)<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't want to confuse you with facts while you're ranting, but Meat Loaf and Steinman were a group that was marketed as "Meat Loaf, songs by Jim Steinman" <B>and</B> Meat Loaf wrote many songs himself after they split up. And if you want to get overly technical, Steinman sought out Meat Loaf, not the other way around. There was no "hiring" ... they were a duo.

As for bashing something we haven't heard, um ... he's been singing in our living rooms twice a week for the past few months. I think people have a decent idea what his voice sounds like and whether they have interest in purchasing his first album. Otherwise, why start the thread?

das

Matt 05-24-03 02:25 PM

My answer is "yes".

I buy everything the TV people tell me to buy.

Alyoshka 05-24-03 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Virex
My answer is "yes".

I buy everything the TV people tell me to buy.

Spending money helps to support terrorists.

Rocky_Stallone 05-24-03 03:14 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
<BLOCKQUOTE>[SIZE=1] •
As for bashing something we haven't heard, um ... he's been singing in our living rooms twice a week for the past few months. I think people have a decent idea what his voice sounds like and whether they have interest in purchasing his first album. Otherwise, why start the thread?

das

It's not that his voice you heard on AI. The music on his album will probably turn out totally different then the music he sings on AI.

Kelly Clarkson's music turned out totally different when her album came out.

If you just wait and hear some of Ruben's hit singles when his album comes out, then you can make your judgement on whether to get his album or not.

If you don't like the thread I posted, then why post in it?

Alyoshka 05-24-03 03:19 PM

It's not that his voice you heard on AI. The music on his album will probably turn out totally different then the music he sings on AI.

Oh, so Ruben's voice will be less boring and have a good range on the album?

Rocky_Stallone 05-24-03 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Oh, so Ruben's voice will be less boring and have a good range on the album?
Yup, that's why you should wait until you hear a few songs off the album first.

das Monkey 05-24-03 03:40 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth Rocky_Stallone •<HR SIZE=1>If you don't like the thread I posted, then why post in it? <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have a problem with your thread. I answered your question honestly (as did others), and you mocked those responses because you didn't like the answer we gave. If you don't want honest answers, you shouldn't ask questions.

das

Matt 05-24-03 04:12 PM

Yup, that's why you should wait until you hear a few songs off the album first.
Unless, of course, you've already made your mind up that the album's going to be great, even before you've heard one note of it.

evenflow 05-24-03 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Virex
Unless, of course, you've already made your mind up that the album's going to be great, even before you've heard one note of it.
:lol: true.

Numanoid 05-24-03 05:45 PM

If you just wait and hear some of Ruben's hit singles when his album comes out, then you can make your judgement on whether to get his album or not.
Then why didn't you wait until the album comes out before starting this thread? :hscratch: