DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Question for Tool Fans (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/294230-question-tool-fans.html)

Gallant Pig 05-22-03 08:33 PM

Question for Tool Fans

Which album is your favorite and why?

Thanks!

evenflow 05-22-03 08:53 PM

Aenima, because it has my favorite Tool songs (Forty-Six and 2, Aenema, H., Pushit, Third Eye, etc.) and the album flows really well. Lateralus flows well but doesn't have as many great songs as Aenima.

Jepthah 05-22-03 09:21 PM

Impossible to choose. I don't know Opiate and Salival isn't really an album per se, but the others are all equally great for different times, moods and reasons.

Capo2002 05-22-03 09:51 PM

Lateralus is my favorite Tool cd, because it is their most accomplished record both lyrically and musically. This album takes you on a journey that no other Tool cd does and I think that is awesome. I can also relate to the lyrics a little more than the other Tool albums, therefore I have a more personal connection to it.

MJKTool 05-22-03 09:58 PM

Do a search ya newb! :p

db27 05-22-03 10:01 PM

Aenima

Cuz it's so damn full of anger, I love em all, but it stands out with super-heaviness and plenty of anger.

Eulogy is my favorite song of theirs as well.

inVectiVe 05-22-03 10:12 PM

Aenima.

If I were to make a Best of Tool CD, Aenima would have the most songs represented on it. I'm not saying that it would have more tunes on it than Undertow and Lateralus *combined*, I don't think, but Tool's sophomore full-length has more tracks I'd consider great or near-great than either of their other LPs. Speaking of which, here are what I consider the best songs album-by-album...

Opiate: Uh, not much happening here that wasn't done better on the next one.
Undertow: "Intolerance," "Prison Sex," possibly title track.
Aenima: "Stinkfist," "Eulogy" (despite the dragged-out intro), "Forty-Six & 2." Maybe also "H.," "Pushit," and title track.
Lateralus: "The Grudge," title track, maybe "Ticks & Leeches."

gilbertr76 05-22-03 11:53 PM

I have to go with Lateralus because it's the only true "album" in my opinion. The others are just collections of songs (although they are very good songs for the most part).

heimerSWT 05-23-03 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Jepthah
Impossible to choose...
Yup.

inVectiVe 05-23-03 01:25 AM

I should add that even *if* I thought Lateralus was the best (which I would if every song was a grand slam like "The Grudge"), I'd still probably recommend Aenima as a starting point. [Not sure if that was the thread starter's intent in posing the question.]

heimerSWT 05-23-03 01:27 AM

Originally posted by inVectiVe
I should add that even *if* I thought Lateralus was the best (which I would if every song was a grand slam like "The Grudge"), I'd still probably recommend Aenima as a starting point. [Not sure if that was the thread starter's intent in posing the question.]
Good point. I think that Aenima was the starting point for a lot of people who are now fans of the band. It is an awesome album, really.

Aghama 05-23-03 08:39 AM

Originally posted by gilbertr76
I have to go with Lateralus because it's the only true "album" in my opinion. The others are just collections of songs (although they are very good songs for the most part).
I don't agree at all, Ænima especially was a very coherent album. It's between that and Undertow for me, I can never decide.

Zodo 05-23-03 09:05 AM

Gotta go with Aenima here, although Lateralus is a close second.

On a side Tool note...I've got the Salival DVD/CD box set signed by Danny Carry (the drummer). How much do you think I should ask for something like this if i sell it on ebay?

Sernov 05-23-03 09:10 AM

Fave Tool album: Aenima

It's just the one that I've listened to the most and that made me a bigger Tool fan than ever before.

evenflow 05-23-03 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Zodo

On a side Tool note...I've got the Salival DVD/CD box set signed by Danny Carry (the drummer). How much do you think I should ask for something like this if i sell it on ebay?

Why would you want to sell it?

Zodo 05-23-03 11:21 AM

Originally posted by evenflowddt
Why would you want to sell it?
I'm not too big a fan of salival and I need the cash.

evenflow 05-23-03 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Zodo
I'm not too big a fan of salival and I need the cash.
Sell something else!

I'd buy it for a dollar...

SCSIMan 05-23-03 09:56 PM

Undertow, because when it came out, not many people heard of them, so with myself owning it about 6 months after it came out, I knew that I had something special. Not many people (that I knew anyway) had even heard of them at the time. Now my nextdoor neighbors 14 year old daughter knows them, and thinks they're "dope." :(

I think its hilarious how many of the new Tool "fans" have no idea what the band is even singing about. You should see the above mentioned daughter try to explain to me what 4 Degrees is about. :)

Undertow will always be special to me. It's one of only a handful of CD's that I think are perfect.

SCSIMan

edstein 05-24-03 11:19 PM

Aenima hands down. Lateralus is good as well.

saoirse 05-25-03 07:37 PM

My favorite is their first ep which was self-titled. (1991 toolshed music).
Side a: Cold and Ugly, Hush, Part of Me
Side b: Crawl Away, Sober, Jerk-off

Kinda cool cause I don't think many were made and it's different versions than what followed. But I like their work which followed as well.

Hollowgen 05-25-03 08:23 PM

Aenima.

saoirse 05-26-03 10:23 AM

Sweet. Just found out that it's a rare demo tape I have.