Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

O Fortuna - Carmina Burana - Remixed...

Old 05-22-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

O Fortuna - Carmina Burana - Remixed...

I'm looking for various remixes of O Fortuna - There's a techno one and another techno one and there's one I kinda remember from some movie soundtrack that sounds like it would've fit in the Transporter during the driving scenes or maybe during Romeo Must Die during the fight scenes. Anyone know who remixed them or what soundtrack they are on or anything about anything? Thanks.
Old 05-22-03, 09:45 PM

I don't know about official remixes, but there are two songs by Apotheosis that are often confused because they are very close in style. One, of course, is O'Fortuna, the other is Obumbratta, but they are different songs. O'Fortuna appeared on the original "Rave til Dawn" and "X-Static Radikal Techno Vol 4", however both of these were withdrawn and are way out of print since the Carmina Burana sample was never cleared. I have both tracks on original cd, so if you need them let me know and I can help you out.
Jon
Old 05-23-03, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by SubZero
I don't know about official remixes, but there are two songs by Apotheosis that are often confused because they are very close in style. One, of course, is O'Fortuna, the other is Obumbratta, but they are different songs. O'Fortuna appeared on the original "Rave til Dawn" and "X-Static Radikal Techno Vol 4", however both of these were withdrawn and are way out of print since the Carmina Burana sample was never cleared. I have both tracks on original cd, so if you need them let me know and I can help you out.
Jon
Almost 10 years ago, I meant to purchase those original discs before they were rereleased without the Apotheosis mixes. I lost out huge, because I spent many wasted hours searching for used ones at any record store I would go to. Then in 1998, I just downloaded it. Still wish I could have those originals though.

All I had until then was a copy of the O Fortuna remix on a cassette that was made for me by a DJ friend. It is amazing how long the tape lasted, and how good the quality was. I played that song as the intro music to the basketball team at my old high school. The players always requested it because it got them into the perfect mood while warming up before tipoff.

Last edited by heimerSWT; 05-23-03 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-23-03, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This might sound odd, but I'm serious.

Go to www.campchaos.com and look up the Angry Naked Pat cartoons. In "Every Which Wayans But Loose" they have a techno remix of O Fortuna, which you should still be able to download seperately from the site.
Old 05-23-03, 07:52 AM

"Therion" did a version of O' Fortuna.
It's a little on the heavy side but still pretty cool.

~MD~
Old 05-24-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Enigma plays bits of O' Fortuna on the album The Screen Behind the Mirror.
Old 05-25-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Botch has a good version of o' fortuna....
Old 05-25-03, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
A piece of music that screams remix.
Old 05-27-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys... I knew about the one by Apotheosis and was thinking there was another one that was more recent. Still looking if anyone knows of anything else.

Also - I tried to buy that Rave 'til Dawn CD of half.com - was there a version of the CD that didn't have the song I want? If so, I'm glad the transaction didn't go through - any way to tell if it has it?
Old 05-27-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard a while ago that the reason Apotheosis - O Fortuna is so rare (not on many CDs), is that the family of Carl Orff never authorized apotheosis to use the song in his song, and the record company had to recal the album. Not sure if its true, but it sounds plausible.

As of now, the copyright to this title are held by the famous Michael Cretu (he didn't actually buy it, he was "given" it by the German Classical Music Association or something like that), and he used samples from it extensivelly in his 4th album, "Enigma - The Screen Behind The Mirror"... If you're into new/age ambient, I might recommend that album.

Also try

Mike Koglin - Fortuna 2000
Mister - Oratio
FCB - Excalibur/Excalibur 2000
fortuna imperatrix mundi
Armina Burthana
Old 05-27-03, 07:15 PM

I think the second post in the thread explained both of these points, but:

I heard a while ago that the reason Apotheosis - O Fortuna is so rare (not on many CDs), is that the family of Carl Orff never authorized apotheosis to use the song in his song, and the record company had to recal the album.
Correct, the sample was never cleared.

Also - I tried to buy that Rave 'til Dawn CD of half.com - was there a version of the CD that didn't have the song I want?
Yes, the original pressings of both "Rave Til Dawn" and "X-Static Radikal Techno Vol 4" contain the song, however I have not seen a copy of either available in about 9 years.
Jon
Old 05-27-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Geez, no one's mentioned Apoptygma Berzerk's "Lover Never Dies"?
Old 08-11-07, 07:39 AM

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me which remix of Carmina Burana is used in this video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qsAOreums

I really like it and would love to get hold of it, thanks!
Old 08-11-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HighSpeedOnIce
"Therion" did a version of O' Fortuna.
It's a little on the heavy side but still pretty cool.

~MD~
Trans-Siberian Orchestra has been playing it for the last few years, saying it's from their upcoming Night Castle album. Apparantly, it's being released the same week as Chinese Democracy.

I have an old LP that Ray Manzarek put together where he performs the whole thing. I think it was released on (import) CD once.
Old 08-11-07, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jason
Trans-Siberian Orchestra has been playing it for the last few years, saying it's from their upcoming Night Castle album. Apparantly, it's being released the same week as Chinese Democracy.

I have an old LP that Ray Manzarek put together where he performs the whole thing. I think it was released on (import) CD once.
Is that the version from the video I posted above?
Old 08-11-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by boon
Hello, I am wondering if anyone can tell me which remix of Carmina Burana is used in this video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c8qsAOreums

I really like it and would love to get hold of it, thanks!
Sounds like the illegal remix by Apotheosis. It was originally on their album but they didn't get permission so they had to remove it.
Old 08-11-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boon
Is that the version from the video I posted above?
No, Manzarek's version was done back in the 70's and is fairly straightforward.
Old 08-11-07, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by innocentfreak
Sounds like the illegal remix by Apotheosis. It was originally on their album but they didn't get permission so they had to remove it.
Oh right. Do you know how I'd go about getting hold of it?