Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Clay Aiken is still going to get signed!!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can see that happening, even though he didn't win American Idol, it's obvious that the major labels are going to love him anyways.

I knew right from the very beginning that Ruben was going to win the whole thing.

Both guys are amazing singers though.
Old 05-22-03, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We knew that for about a week already. The Final 2 will always get record deals because they have huge fanbase and potential.
Old 05-22-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sadly (or perhaps happily), I had no idea who Clay Aiken was before opening this thread. Odd, I buy absolutely tons of new music, but my finger is far from the pulse of popular culture nowadays, I guess...
Old 05-22-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Uh.. I will take it even further. Anyone that even shows up on American Idol will have a career for 15 minutes past the show. have it be as a guest star on another show or some music career option.

It's a given.

The real question is, will these people have a future? Who knows. I mean really.. how successful will kelly be in a couple of months (after her movie)?
Old 05-22-03, 09:07 PM
Banned

Well in case you didn't see last night's America Idol, Kelly just received a Platinum award plate by Clive Davis, so it's obvious she's already a successful artist.

But other singers like Kimberly Locke could still try to get a record deal if they wanted.

All they have to do is start sending in demo tapes to major labels. But I'm postitive that a lot of A&R people has been watching American Idol, so sooner or later, the A&R people will be all over Clay Aiken or Kimberly Locke even if they haven't heard their demos.
Old 05-23-03, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Well in case you didn't see last night's America Idol, Kelly just received a Platinum award plate by Clive Davis, so it's obvious she's already a successful artist.
That award and 50 cents will buy her a cup of coffee in this town. I'm sorry but Platinum plate does not = success. lets see if she's around in a year or two. Hell, lets see if anyone remembers her name by that time.

True success is staying power.
Old 05-23-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a really high standard for success. Most people who make music consider themselves a success if they get the chance to make a record, let alone sell over a million copies of one. And many people who don't make music consider themselves successful if they can merely hold down a job.

Give her some credit though -- she made some sort of connection with over a million people. Obviously those people will remember her in a couple years. If that's not some form of success, I don't know what is.
Old 05-23-03, 10:44 AM
Banned

Yeah calm down she has a lot of success and she has Clive Davis watching out for her. There's no doubt that Kelly and Tamyra will have a long lasting career in the music business. As for other AI contestants, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 05-23-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
That award and 50 cents will buy her a cup of coffee in this town. I'm sorry but Platinum plate does not = success. lets see if she's around in a year or two. Hell, lets see if anyone remembers her name by that time.

Well, platinum (plus) is certainly filling somebody's bank account at the moment. Whether it's Kelly's or the record company. I'd call 1.3 million copies in five weeks extremely successful. You're talking longterm. Who knows what's in store for her later. This is true for anyone in the music business.
Old 05-23-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree with Jack on this one. I think she is going to be a flash in the pan. I mean look at 50 cent he sold 1.6 in like two weeks and is now over 4. I see her dropping off the charts pretty quick. I guess only time will tell.
Old 05-23-03, 01:30 PM
Banned

She won't fall off the charts since she's still selling about 80-90K copies each week. Her sales haven't dropped at all....
Old 05-23-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kelly Clarkson is no flash in the pan. No, artists like Meridith Brooks and Deep Blue Something are. Who only had one hit song each, and no hit album. Like mcbg1 pointed out, Kelly's album sales are not dropping off each week that much. It's definitely got legs. The first official single (not counting the one released months ago before the album came out), is climbing the charts. She's got a lot of strong industry people behind her. I think that alone will keep her in the spotlight for a little while. Will she ever be able to match the success of her first album and will she be around in a few years? Who knows. She could release one quality album after another. It all depends on the ever changing and fickle music buying public. Who buy your product by the millions one minute, and barely pay you any attention the next. Just ask Alanis Morrissette.
Old 05-23-03, 02:37 PM
Banned

Daytripper I love you lol

Seriously I think ''Miss Independent'' isn't the best song on her album, but it's got some great material on it like '' Just Missed The Train'', '' Beautiful Disaster'' and '' What's Up Lonely ''. You guys should give it a try at least and be open-minded.

Her first album is a success, the movie can only help her since it won't be a ''glitter'' and only god knows what's next in store for her.
Old 05-23-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get me wrong, I don't own Kelly's album. I'm not really a fan of that kind of music, but recognize talent when I see it. As far as her movie, now that's a different story entirely. I don't think it's been screened for anyone yet. And I bet you anything they don't before it's released. I've seen scenes from it and it looks pretty awful. While it might be as bad as "Glitter", it'll probably tank. I'd also bet it probably won't do more than 10 or 20 million at the box-office. The soundtrack will probably be a hit though.
Old 05-23-03, 04:05 PM
Banned

Daytripper : The movie did get screened, I've got inside info on it, although no previews have been posted on the net yet.

The acting isn't too bad and the music is great IMO, I don't think it'll make 50-100 million at the box office but I'm sure it'll do at least twice it's budget ( 25-30 million $ ).
Old 05-23-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's certainly nothing wrong with purchasing or even enjoying Kelly's album, but paying to see this movie really should be grounds for deportation.

das
Old 05-23-03, 04:54 PM
Banned

lol everybody is entitled to their tastes hehe
Old 05-23-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mcbg1
Daytripper : The movie did get screened, I've got inside info on it, although no previews have been posted on the net yet.

The acting isn't too bad and the music is great IMO, I don't think it'll make 50-100 million at the box office but I'm sure it'll do at least twice it's budget ( 25-30 million $ ).
Twice it's budget would be 50-60 million. Because that what it takes before a movie turns a profit.
Old 05-23-03, 05:28 PM
Banned

The movie cost about 10 million $ so it would take about 25 million $ to make a profit.
Old 05-23-03, 08:36 PM
Banned

Look like someone doesn't know anything about the music industry.

The Platinum plate is very important. If a music artist wins a Platinum award, that means they have been very successful. The only way to get a Platinum award is to sell Millions of copies of albums and have a huge fan base. Kelly Clarkson pretty much did all of that herself and that's why she deserved the award.

Hell, John Mayer became a very successful artist pretty quickly with his album "Room For Squares".

Age does not make a difference to become successful as long as you have the talent.
Old 05-23-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And you think that a studio can not fluff up sales of a said album in order to buy promotion for the said artist?

Kelly Clarkson has the same type of fans that followed New Kids on the Block, NSYCN and any other studio factory band. In this case, Do you really think Fox wouldn't fluff up some sales in order to make it seem that their winners of the show are seen as "successful" in the public eye's while they can. Expect more awards for her to promote her up coming film. Kelly did not do that all herself. the Fox Marketing team did it. When you have company that owns a large chunk of the media exposure around the world, it is easy to promote your empolyee and get them out to the crowd while they are hot or to create hype. Now, how many records did she sell? I can't think of any songs she wrote recorded or performed and I can't think of even a simple one hit from her that lasted on the charts without the hype of the stations who follow a corporate line back to a big company such as clear channel. Like I said.. she will not be around for to much longer. You can bank on that.

I'm dropping off from this thread and I'll bump it again in a year. lets see if Kelly is still even known then.
Old 05-23-03, 09:01 PM
Banned

You're just dissing Kelly because you don't like her music, everything you are saying is entitled to your opinion.

It's a fact that the Platinum award is very important, anyone would get thrilled to get something like that. Even myself.

Since Kelly is obviously the very first American Idol, it's pretty obvious she will be very well known the next 20 years. If she continues to put out good music and continues to sell a lot of albums, I predict she will become a legend in the future (like the next 20 years).
Old 05-23-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm confused.. what Good music has she put out so far?

as for American Idols.. I think it's more of a fad then anything else. like anything else.. fads come and go. Where are the past POP IDOL winners at today?
Old 05-23-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm confused.. what Good music has she put out so far?

as for American Idols.. I think it's more of a fad then anything else. like anything else.. fads come and go. Where are the past POP IDOL winners at today?

Jack I am with you but I do not think these people are going to change there minds. Just ask Rocky about how well Judge Dredd did.
Old 05-24-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rocky_Stallone •<HR SIZE=1>Kelly Clarkson pretty much did all of that herself and that's why she deserved the award.<HR SIZE=1>

Pass me some of what he's smoking. Kelly's very talented, and she earned her contest victory, but let's be realistic ... the American Idol machine is mostly responsible for the sales of her first album. If she does anything after this (which I expect her to do), she can claim full credit, but following the immense success of the first television program, Nikki McKibbin could have sold millions of copies. Hell, even Jim Veraros ... ok ... not him ... but people were going to buy her album regardless of whether it was good or not. It could have just been looped tracks of Seacrest admiring his hair. Its sales were as predictable a conclusion as Clay and Tamyra getting the own music contracts. This album is nothing ... if Kelly is going to be anyone of note in the music industry, it's her next album that will be the indicator.

As for her becoming a legend, I'd hold you to that prediction, but I suspect you'll forget about it when you hit puberty.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.