Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Clay Aiken is still going to get signed!!!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Clay Aiken is still going to get signed!!!

Old 05-24-03, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I think we should change the name of this forum to the Kelly fan club and I bet you can figure out the two charter members. I stick by what I said a flash in the pan she will be.
Old 05-24-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigDaddy
I stick by what I said a flash in the pan she will be.
If flash in a pan means being more successful than most people in America, not hurting anyone, making enough money to be set for life, and having a good time. Then I don't think that so bad. What do you see that is so negative about it?
Old 05-24-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A platinum award is a platinum award. It isn't a blue ribbon for the best fourth-grade science project, and it isn't the key to the city of Paducah. A gold award -- for half as many sales -- would've still been an accomplishment so soon after release date.

Of course the American Idol machine has played an extremely crucial role in the success of Clarkson's album. Obviously she wouldn't be where she is without it. Regardless, her album is a good pop album -- it's good for what it is. It might not be some "artistic statement" like Dark Side of the Moon; and you can bet that awkward teenage boys won't be buying it 20 years down the road. So I suppose in that (non)sense that she's yet to become successful and has very little chance of doing so.

Once the album slips past the top 20, there will surely be people saying, "See? Her popularity's slipping!" The Billboard charts aren't the same as a college football Top 25. Pop music is, by its nature, full of flashes in the pan. It's about NOW, not forty years down the road.

As easy as it is to criticize teen pop and kids' quick-changing tastes, those groups that they like mean a great deal to them. When I was intensely into Duran Duran for three years or so, they meant more to me at that time than all of my favorites of today combined.

Personally, at the end of the day, it's about songs -- not albums. I could make a CDR of songs made by groups/people who only made one great song that hit me -- either they never made a full album, or the one album they were able to make was horrible. But I can guarantee that that disc of personal one-hit wonders would obliterate my favorite album of all-time. I guess what this paragraph is saying is that too much importance is placed on albums. I'll take one of my flash-in-the-pan early '80s singles over Astral Weeks or some other beyond holy "loved by legions of graying white men" album any day (Steely Dan excepted).
Old 05-24-03, 09:53 AM
Banned

Jackelston, excuse me but Kelly wrote 4 songs and produced 2 songs on her album. For the rest of the songs on her album, she chose willingly the material she wanted to work with.

Sure the American Idol machine helped her launch her career and she will always be grateful for that but she's now her own artist. She can play guitar, violin and piano and she will play that on tour.

Believe what you want, but this girl won't be forgotten in 10-20 years. People have an emotional attachment to her, that's why she's still popular and will aways be. Ruben and Clay are good singers but don't have 'it'. For example Ruben's single isn't played anywhere in the country except for his home-state alabama while when Kelly sang A Moment Like This ( which isn't a great song IMO ) she was played everywhere because that song was fad but still evoked the memory of her crying while she learned she won the AI competition.

As for Ruben, I'll have to see what he puts out next but I'm not impressed as of yet. I'll be open minded and listen to his album carefully though before I say something negative about it.

Last edited by mcbg1; 05-24-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-24-03, 10:25 AM
Banned

Thank you mcbg1 for straightening the facts out better than I can, I agree with everything you said, kudos to you.

I don't care what anyone says, the Platinum award is a very important award. How would you know if it's not important, when you do not play music? If you're a musician, you would realize how important that award is. Any musician would be thrilled to get that award. It's a very honorable thing.

Getting a Platinum award is the same thing as an actor/actress getting a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 05-24-03 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-24-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
Oh, a platinum record is a very important, "honorable" and prestigious award. Just ask Disco Duck, the Macarena guys, the Baha Men, or even Chumbawamba, they'll tell you.
Old 05-24-03, 12:57 PM
Banned

Willam Fuld and others : it's obvious some of you have something personal against Kelly and AI Contestants and that's fine, just stop trying to lower their accomplishments, any artist who's been able to get a platinum album should be given respect.
Old 05-24-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Yea look how many records New Kids on the Block sold. And they are still popular to this day.
Old 05-24-03, 01:05 PM
Banned

some of you are really hopeless lol god bless you
Old 05-24-03, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by mcbg1
Willam Fuld and others : it's obvious some of you have something personal against Kelly and AI Contestants and that's fine, just stop trying to lower their accomplishments, any artist who's been able to get a platinum album should be given respect.
I have nothing personal against any of them, in fact I like Kelly, Ruben, and Clay. I'm not trying to lower their accomplishments, I'm trying to highlight other artists on their same level. You know, like the Pac-Man Fever guys.
Old 05-24-03, 01:18 PM
Banned

ok i'm not gonna bother to reply to your stupid comments after this one
Old 05-24-03, 02:56 PM

The movie cost about 10 million $ so it would take about 25 million $ to make a profit.
If you are only considering cinema receipts and excluding DVD/video, telvision rights, soundtrack sales, etc.

This isn't a big risk.

- Matt
Old 05-24-03, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ok i'm not gonna bother to reply to your stupid comments after this one
No, no, don't stop now. I think William Fuld was on his way to agreeing that Kelly might well be the next Carly Simon. Keep at him for a bit longer.

Last edited by Alyoshka; 05-24-03 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-24-03, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Yea look how many records New Kids on the Block sold. And they are still popular to this day.
The money's in the bank.

- Matt
Old 05-24-03, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by William Fuld
Oh, a platinum record is a very important, "honorable" and prestigious award. Just ask Disco Duck, the Macarena guys, the Baha Men, or even Chumbawamba, they'll tell you.
How about bands like The Foo Fighters, "Weird" Al, and many others who received that award? Many big name bands had received that Platinum award plate because of how many albums they sold pretty quickly.

If you ever played in a band, that award would be the best thing that ever happened in your life.
Old 05-25-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by William Fuld
Fuld, an RIAA platinum "award" is not the same as a Grammy. Or even an Oscar. It's not even all that prestigious. It is a RECOGNITION that the artist sold X amount of units. You don't even hear about most bands or artists getting these. They only made a big deal about Kelly because she was the first American Idol winner. And they were trying to stretch the show. But comparing Kelly to novelty acts like Disco Duck and Pac Man Fever is pretty ridiculous. Kelly is hardly the first young singer to get this honor. The kid has just started out. How bout giving her a chance. Will she join the ranks of NKOTB? Who knows. But isn't it a little soon to be predicting her demise?
Old 05-25-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He's not predicting her demise. He's pointing out that a platinum "award" in and of itself is really quite meaningless in a discussion about talent considering all the people who have these "awards." This wouldn't normally be an issue, but the assertion was made earlier in this thread that the platinum "award" was such a high pinnacle of musical greatness that a little perspective was necessary.

das
Old 05-25-03, 01:42 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, das Monkey.
Old 05-25-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
He's not predicting her demise. He's pointing out that a platinum "award" in and of itself is really quite meaningless in a discussion about talent considering all the people who have these "awards." This wouldn't normally be an issue, but the assertion was made earlier in this thread that the platinum "award" was such a high pinnacle of musical greatness that a little perspective was necessary.

das
Sure he or she wasn't predicting her demise. But others are. I was addressing all of the above.
Old 05-25-03, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Since Kelly is obviously the very first American Idol, it's pretty obvious she will be very well known the next 20 years. If she continues to put out good music and continues to sell a lot of albums, I predict she will become a legend in the future (like the next 20 years).

a legend!?!
Old 05-25-03, 04:02 PM
Banned

MJKTool : guess which finger I'm flipping at you ?
Old 05-25-03, 04:13 PM
Suspended

MJKTool : guess which finger I'm flipping at you ?
pinky?
Old 05-25-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth MJKTool •<HR SIZE=1>pinky? <HR SIZE=1>

That's what I was thinking too ... Dr. Evil style. "Kelly will sell ONE BILLLLLLION albums!"

das