Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

For concerts/cd concerts/dvd concerts, which do you prefer?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-21-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its either, playing the song almost exactly like it sounds on the album, or almost a completly different version longer, faster paced what ever.

I prefer the different version of the song.
Old 05-21-03, 11:26 PM
Rest in Peace

I prefer seeing the singer(s) if still alive like Karen Carpenter or the full set of The Beach boys including Carl and Dennis now deceased.

Now if the TV is busted the CD player natch.
Old 05-21-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry danol, but I meant was when a performer does a song live, do you prefer if they do most of the album version without any changes, or would you prefer if they changed the song completly in any way shape or form.
Old 05-22-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like to hear a song that pretty much represents what was on the albums but 'played' with. I have seen many shows where a band takes a hard rock version and turn into a reggae version (I've seen this a few times) and they were awful. Also, one that comes to mind, is Springsteen doing an acoustic version of Born To Run that, IMHO, really destroyed a great song. He has now gone back to the original version.

More times than not an alternate version really doesn't work for me but I am sure there are a few that really work. One that comes to mind was the original version of I Want You To Want Me from Cheap Trick which was more of a 'twangy/country' style but live was the rock version that took off from Budakon (sp?).
Old 05-22-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love a band to change up a song live as long as its done tastefully-but hey, I guess that's subjective so we're really at the artists' mercy on that one. To me though nothing beats a great song live that an artist can take to new places while keeping the "magic" of the original version intact, whether its drawing it out to a 20 minute jam, or completely adding new riffs, musical styles etc. Especially when they bring it back to that special set of trademark notes that sends shivers down your spine after jonesing for that satisfying chorus during the creative improvisation. I'm sure it keeps things interesting and fresh for the artists as well who have to play the same songs every night.

As far as if I prefer CD to DVD for a live performance I'd say both for various reasons.
Old 05-22-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a huge jamband fan, so the answer is clear for me, I guess...

I tend to get bored when a band plays the tunes exactly like they are on the disc.