DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Headbangers Ball actually played old Maiden and Slayer (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/293714-headbangers-ball-actually-played-old-maiden-slayer.html)

cerial442 05-20-03 04:53 PM

Headbangers Ball actually played old Maiden and Slayer

I know I am late on mentioning this, but Headbangers Ball last Saturday was a better representation of what the show should be. They really only played four nu-metal videos, and two of them was from Staind.

They played three videos in a row from hardcore bands (Hatebreed, Sworn Enemy, and Eighteen Visions).

They played Slayers live video for "Raining Blood". They played the new Voivod video.

They also played "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden.

Next week they are going to be from the New England Metal and Hardcore fest.

There you go, all in all a major improvement from last weeks. This might just work out.

Also during the Extreme Rock show they have been playing Hate Eternal and Strapping Young Lad, hopefully those will be played in the future.

woofman 05-21-03 12:57 PM

Not bad, but I just wonder how long it will last....$$$$$

turborobb 05-22-03 08:28 PM

Nice they played Maiden, but I wish it was a more obscure video, we've seen Run to the Hills a million times already.

They also played Hammerfall, which was great, classic old school Metal from a new band.

and it was nice to see the Murderdolls... the closest thing Ive seen to Glam Metal on the new Ball... maybe new week they'll play an old Ratt video! (I wish)

cerial442 05-23-03 02:43 AM

I forgot about a really cool video they played at the end, by a band called Katasym (sp?). It kicked all kinds of ass.

Lamb of God is also filming a new video, so hopefully that will get show. Their new album is getting all kinds of buzz in the metal community. Check it out, if you haven't yet.

I am hoping next week that they will play more videos from hardcore bands. I would freak out if a band like Caliban or Locked in a Vacancy showed up on their, since they are going to be from the New England Metal and Hardcore fest.

cactusoly 05-23-03 08:27 AM

Still too much nu-metal for me. Bring on more classic bands like Priest and Maiden instead using the "ok lets just sick one or two old videos in this week" thing

woofman 05-23-03 11:25 AM

Originally posted by cerial442

Lamb of God is also filming a new video, so hopefully that will get show. Their new album is getting all kinds of buzz in the metal community. Check it out, if you haven't yet.

Lamb of God's new album is AWESOME! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Josh-da-man 05-23-03 02:49 PM

It's good that they play old stuff.

Heavy metal, probably more than almost any other genre I can think of, has a strong sense of history and tradition. Bands like Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden are still revered and respected to this day, their old albums still considered a vital and active part of the genre.

Compare that with something, like say, modern r-and-b, where probably 99.9% of the fans of current acts probably couldn't be bothered to give two ****s about the r-and-b of the 60s and Motown.

Country Western makes a good contender, but even, most of their old acts are relegated to piles of "best of" and "greatest hits" collections in bargain bins. Whereas, say Iron Maiden, have their entire back catalog in print and readily available. And even with C/W, I get the feeling that most of the reverence and nostalgia factor comes from the Nashville establishment, rather than the fans. Guys that listen to Tim McGraw now probably don't get into Hank Williams Sr, or Patsy Cline.

The cool thing about metal is that you can give a twelve year old kid an album that was made before he was born -- say "Number of the Beast," "Piece of Mind," "Paranoid," or "Master of Puppets," -- all of this stuff originally released before he was even born -- and he'll dig it. It sounds just as fresh and exciting today as it did twenty years ago.

Wallet Boy 05-23-03 09:39 PM

I like the way they are doing it...don't overdo it with the older videos. Two or three are fine, but those bands should put out new material if they want to get played with any regularity. I HAVE to see that new Strapping Young Lad video. Maybe the Ball will play it this weekend...I hear they interviewed Devin Townsend at the New England festival, it would be a good segue.

cerial442 05-23-03 10:22 PM

Originally posted by woofman
Lamb of God's new album is AWESOME! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Agreed.

Maiden has a new album out in the fall. There will be new videos for the new album.

I also agree with the poster who said one or two older videos a week. This gives new bands a chance to shine.

Now if Opeth would start making videos. Then again everyone would complain that they would have had to edit the lenght of the song.

Gourmet Artist 05-24-03 03:39 AM

MTV playing Strapping Young Lad?!?!?!?!?!? Wow didn't think my favorite band would ever get on there. I guess it's time to call them sellouts hahahahahaha.

Giantrobo 05-24-03 05:58 AM

Metal still doesn't need MTV :p

Trout 05-24-03 01:53 PM

Originally posted by cerial442
I forgot about a really cool video they played at the end, by a band called Katasym (sp?). It kicked all kinds of ass.

Kataklysm...Canadian Death Metal.

cactusoly 05-24-03 05:07 PM

the older bands like Maiden and Priest DO put out new vids, its just no one bathers to play them. Judas Priest "Burn In Hell" was a really cool video that I could see as a bonus on a CD single. Limp Biscuit and Korn get played enough on MTV as it is. Leave the ball for the true metal bands and throw a couple nu-metal vids in, not the other way around like they've done so far.

\m/ OO \m/

Wallet Boy 05-25-03 08:24 PM

Originally posted by cactusoly
the older bands like Maiden and Priest DO put out new vids, its just no one bathers to play them. Judas Priest "Burn In Hell" was a really cool video that I could see as a bonus on a CD single. Limp Biscuit and Korn get played enough on MTV as it is. Leave the ball for the true metal bands and throw a couple nu-metal vids in, not the other way around like they've done so far.

\m/ OO \m/

I don't think they've played Limp Biscuit or Korn even once since the show started back up again. They aren't playing that many nu-metal bands. Its like 3-4 a week, and the rest are heavy as hell. Just this past week they played Hate Eternal, Superjoint Ritual, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Strapping Young Lad, Lamb Of God, and a ton of other stuff. Cool interviews too.

Isn't Burn In Hell about six years old now? I'm sure they would play Priest's next new one now that the show is back, if it doesn't suck.

Mazinger 05-27-03 08:21 AM

I wish they played more of the current metal. No, not "numetal".

Bands like Helloween, Angra, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Angel Dust, etc...

Venom 05-28-03 03:05 AM

..."They played the new Voivod video."....

gasmask revival?

and i guess this will sound stupid, (i never had mtv in the days of the head bangers ball) when is it on? saturdays at midnight? 1 hour show or two? thanks.