Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What band did you grow up listening to with?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What band did you grow up listening to with?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad really loved the Smithereens, R.e.m., and Dramarama and I am glad too. In the early 90's, I was only 8 or so but I remember buying Toad the Wet Sprocket and Lemonheads albums.
Old 05-23-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
A few that come to mind:
  • Def Leppard
  • U2
  • Metallica
  • Guns & Roses
  • Van Halen

And tons more...
Old 05-27-03, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I was raised on classical music, but my first albums were Styx (the Mr. Roboto one), Madonna (that boy toy one) and Michael Jackson 'Thriller'. I don't listen to any of those bands anymore. I also don't listen to my Scooby Doo or Superman records anymore. My first cassettes were Beastie Boys, Sex Pistols and the Miami Vice soundtrack - I still listen to the Beastie Boys... I still listen to Minor Threat and Circle Jerks and Black Flag too. I don't know. Most of the music I listen to is stuff I listened to in jr. High and High School.
Old 05-27-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the first tape i EVER bought was cypress hill - black sunday
Old 05-28-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Capo2002
The very first band I got into was Guns and Roses, this was in the late 80's. I was about 8 or 9 years old and I was totally obsessed with them, they were the best band ever as far as I was concerned back then.

My taste in music changed a lot since then. From 90-94 I got into bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Macine, STP, Primus, Nine Inch Nails and Alice in Chains.

Then from 95-96 I kinda got into hip hop. I was listening to Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Tupac, Bone Thugs and Harmony, etc.

From 96 until now I listen to Tool, Pink Floyd, QOTSA, Audioslave, System of a Down, etc.

I rarely listen to GNR now, only Appetite for Destruction ocasionally.
Um yeah, what he said lol. Almost exactly (only bands he mentions that I don't like is Floyd and System).

freaky...

Granted there are a lot other bands I could work in from all different genres, but reading this post just freaked me out lol.
Old 11-17-03, 11:07 AM

I grew up listening to a lot of 70's rock greats like Pink Floyd, The Stones, AC/DC and of course The Beatles due to my parents record collection (or should I say 8-Track collection).

However the first music I sought out as a child by myself were tasty gems like Devo, B-52s, Blondie, The Police and The Ramones, which are still some of my favorites today.
Old 11-17-03, 12:51 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Grateful Dead and Bob Marley, my first concert was at the age of 2 and it was a dead show, I love them both today, I named my Daughter Marley.
Old 11-17-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

KISS and AC/DC for me too!
Old 11-17-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Billy Joel. Can't complain.
Old 11-17-03, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Michael Jackson was the first music artist that I recognized when I was really young. I listened to him for years, kinda stopped listening to music for awhile I think. GNR's Appetite for Destruction is what got me into music big time.
Old 11-17-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just about any rock band out of the 80's...To name some...

Iron Maiden

Motley Crue

Judas Priest

AC/DC

Van Halen

Bon Jovi

Ratt

Metallica

Def Leppard

Dio

Extreme

Guns & Roses

Journey

Sammy Hagar

David Lee Roth

Ozzy Osbourne

Scorpions

Twisted Sister

Poison

Winger

Whitesnake

Quiet Riot...

Night Ranger...Thanks DrRingDing...Yes great band...

And the 90's and beyond...

Megadeth - 80's band but i enjoy there 90's music better

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Stone Temple Pilots

No Doubt

Creed

Godsmack

Fuel

Puddle Of Mudd

Firehouse

Slaughter

Evanescence

3 Doors Down...

Last edited by johnbook; 11-18-03 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Basically what my dad would listen to in the car when I was a kid and he had control over the radio (which was always)---stuff like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who....old fogey stuff.
Old 11-18-03, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by johnbook
Just about any rock band out of the 80's...To name some...
I think you forgot Night Ranger!

for me it would have to be:

U2 - Rattle and Hum was one of my first albums (er... tapes) and remains today as one of my top 10 desert island albums.

Weird Al - Greatest Hits

L.L. Cool J - Radio (i know, i know... )

A View to a Kill Soundtrack - easily the best complete Bond score, IMO!

Ghostbusters II Soundtrack

i distinctly remember getting those at a Target in the Twin Cities, MN as a b-day present from my grandparents.
-di doctor-
Old 11-18-03, 03:39 AM

Mine appears to be a little more unconventional compared to other people's posts.

I grew up on George Strait and Garth Brooks. I still love George Strait's music. He's one of the only active country music musicians today that still sounds country. I have no idea what happened with Garth Brooks and his whole Chris Gaines multipersonality, but I still enjoy putting in an old Garth Brooks CD every now and then.
Old 11-18-03, 12:32 PM

The Beatles

Wow, I feel really old right now.

The first band I really liked was the Cars back when they were actually together.
Feel younger now?
Old 11-18-03, 04:33 PM
Retired

Well, not a little kid, but I've loved Pearl Jam since Ten came out. I was around 13 at the time.

I really wasn't huge into music before that period. Just listend to some New Kids on the Block, MC Hammer etc. that all the elementary school kids of my generation were (unfortunatly) into at the time.
Old 11-19-03, 02:33 AM

Jethro Tull .. until I discovered the unsurpassable Van Der Graaf Generator and their frontman Peter Hammill
Old 11-19-03, 03:55 AM

Michael Jackson (Jackson 5)
Old 11-19-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Kiss - Love Gun was the first album I owned (at age 5, THANK YOU Mom)
AC/DC and some other hard rock, Skynard etc

When I got into the 80s I started liking the early Ratt/Motley stuff but progressed rather quickly (thank god) into hard/thrash/speed metal. I liked Metallica when they only had an EP out. Anthrax, Slayer, Venom, COC, Celtic Frost, etc. At this same time I started getting into Punk (SP, Clash, Misfits) as well as the 80s New Wave, and thanks to San Diego's 91X I was in love with the Cure, Siouxie and the likes of Bauhaus.

In the late 80s as Metallica started to suck I delved almost entirely into"alternative", or was it college radio then? I discovered some stuff like the Pixies. I still liked the hard stuff and found the genius that is Steve Albini (Big Black).
Discovered Nirvana Bleach and soon after his cohorts from Seattle. I was fortunant enough to find some great local bands as well, The Nixons (remember them when they were I.T.A.A?) Flaming Lips and my personal local favorite Chainsaw Kittens.

I still listen to all of this plus some great newer stuff, Deftones, Chevelle, QOTSA, System of a Down, BRMC, Strokes, White Stripes to name a few.
Old 11-19-03, 11:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
one of the few bands i grew up listening to that i still enjoy to this day, including their new music that hasnt been listed yet is
AEROSMITH. to longevity of a rock group!
Old 11-20-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Bush, Beastie Boys, Green Day, Offspring, Rage Against the Machine, Silverchair, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer

I was born at the end of 81, but never really listened to much music outside of whatever was on the radio until the early/mid 90's.
Old 11-20-03, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I grew up listening to what the parents did Neal Diamond, Barbara Streisand, & Lionel Richie. I appreciate them all, but do not own any of them myself.
Same here!.....my parents were/still are into Jazz as well so also grew up listening to Miles Davis,John Coltrane,Wes Montgomery etc....and once again can appreciate some of the music but don't own any myself.

I didn't really start listening to my own music or taking an interest in it until my early teens in the 80's at which time i was getting into The Smiths,Depeche Mode etc all of which i still currently have on fairly heavy rotation in conjunction with newer artists etc.
Old 11-20-03, 10:43 AM

I was always with my mom, so it was usually hits from the 60s and 70s. A few I liked more than the others?

The Beatles
Herman's Hermits
Simon and Garfunkel
Lou Christie
The Four Seasons
The Association
The Doobie Brothers

Oh, and apparently Badfinger. My brother remembers me running around the house as a child singing: "If you want it, here it is, come and get it. But you better hurry cause it may not last..." He was quite amused. I don't remember that, though.

I'm sure there are more.
Other than that, though, I had a strange predeliction for Lionel Richie and Alabama. I listen to neither today.

Last edited by Penny Lane; 11-20-03 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My dad listened to Patsy Cline w/ nauseating consistency; he turned it up especially loud when he had a bad day at work (which, in his younger & angrier days, was a good 4 days out of the week). Funny, since I don't really listen to her anymore...maybe I'll revisit her tapes over Thanksgiving break.
Old 11-20-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My parents were into:
Harry Belafonte
Theodore Bikel
Pete Seeger
Ferrente and Teischer

But I was listening to:
The Who
Tommy James
The Stones
Stax Volt
The Doors
The Beatles
The Kinks
Dave Clark 5
and whatever else the WMCA Good Guys, WOR or WABC had on the radio.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.