DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Phish - Do They Have Their Original Lineup? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/293424-phish-do-they-have-their-original-lineup.html)

Heat 05-19-03 02:07 PM

Phish - Do They Have Their Original Lineup?

I was looking at the official Phish site and noted that they have MP3s of their concerts for download ($10 for two or three disks worth).

Among some older concerts, they have a bunch of their concerts from this spring.

Is their current lineup their original lineup? That is, if I pay $10, would I be getting the real thing?

I know that I can download for free from various sites, but the quality of these CDs is supposed to be very good (from their mixing board), it is worth $10 to me.

By the way, what are some sites for free Phish downloads? (remember that Phish lets you download and trade MP3s, as long as you don't sell them)

Johnny Zhivago 05-19-03 03:23 PM

Yes.

You should pull those shows down as shn files and convert.... Better quality than MP3s even if they are sbd recordings.

Can't help you with the Phish shows but if you want to pull down some SCI, moe., etc, go here > http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php

Heat 05-19-03 03:30 PM

Thanks. I was just having the .shn vs .mp3 talk with a coworker, he also highly recommended .shn over .mp3s.

I think I will go ahead with one of the concerts, in .shn format. If I really wanted to, in the future I could convert the .shn into .wav, then into .mp3 (if I need to compress the size for whatever reason, isn't .shn about 4 times the size of an .mp3?).

Bust 05-19-03 04:01 PM

From Phish.net...

Phish is a band from the Burlington-area in Vermont. Formed in 1983 and modified around 1986 when second guitarist Jeff Holdsworth left and pianist Page McConnell joined, Phish is: Trey Anastasio, Mike Gordon, Jon Fishman, and Page McConnell. Trey and Mike play guitar and bass guitar respectively. Jon plays the drums and Page plays keyboards.
I really doubt anyone can remember what they sounded like before Page. ;)

If you care for reccommendations about the LivePhishDownloads, I would have to say the 2-28-03 Nassau show is the best bet. They are all good, but if you're only going to get one, get that one. Definitely get the .shn files. It's worth the extra $2 or whatever.

You want some EXCELLENT quality Phish .shns for free you say? Go to http://www.gdlive.com . They have a CRAP load of Phish shows in .mp3 but only several in .shn format. Most of their .shns are sound board recordings. If you're comfortable with FTP programs, that is the way you'll want to go for these. You can only get 2 at a time downloading them off the web page.

Since February I've succsessfully retreived over 40 shows off the net and through mail trades, including all the shows I've personally attended. AWESOME!!

Rocky_Stallone 05-19-03 07:17 PM

Yes, the original band lineup is still together, they took a long break because the rest of the guys wanted to spend time with families and old friends they haven't seen in a while.

Of course, Trey continued to play music during the Phish break. It's amazing how Trey is so addicted to music, he never stops. It's obvious while the other guys were gone, Trey formed a solo band and did Oysterhead as a side project to keep him busy. He just loves music, it's the only thing he cares about in life. :)

Johnny Zhivago 05-19-03 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Of course, Trey continued to play music during the Phish break. It's amazing how Trey is so addicted to music, he never stops. It's obvious while the other guys were gone, Trey formed a solo band and did Oysterhead as a side project to keep him busy. He just loves music, it's the only thing he cares about in life. :)
And Page was/is in Vida Blue. Mike did a project with Leo Kottke in addition to his film work and so on. Fishman was/in Pork Tornado and The Jazz Mandolin Project. They took the break, rightfully, because Phish was as stale as last year's cereal...

db27 05-19-03 10:47 PM

Ah yes, Vermont's Phinest :) While I'm not a fan, as a Vermonter I konw many that are. They guys in the band are really good people though, I run in to them every once in awhile around town. Mostly Trey.

Bust 05-20-03 06:53 AM

Yes, the original band lineup is still together, they took a long break because the rest of the guys wanted to spend time with families and old friends they haven't seen in a while.

:hscratch:

Interesting to say the least.

Gdrlv 05-20-03 04:00 PM

Not to nitpick, but it was Trey's idea to take the hiatus from Phish. Glad they did too. I caught a few shows this tour (Vegas), and they were way better than anything I saw in 99 or 00. The second night of Vegas, from the Bowie -> Catapult -> Bowie opener to the return to Down with Disease in nearly every song in the second set, was absolutely incredible. In fact, it would've been my favorite show from them if they hadn't closed the second set with Character 0 and encored with Friday...

Bust 06-08-03 06:50 PM

Re: Phish - Do They Have Their Original Lineup?

Originally posted by Heat

By the way, what are some sites for free Phish downloads? (remember that Phish lets you download and trade MP3s, as long as you don't sell them)

Everyone here, do yourselves a favor and get acquainted with Bit Torrent if you haven't already. Then go here and download these two shows. Amazing quality and all around killer performances from everyone.

Phish
Shoreline Amphitheater - Mountain View, CA
12th Annual Bridge School Benefit
10/17/98 - acoustic set

Source: (Unknown Schoeps) probably Schoeps CCM4>Aerco>SBM>DAT>CD
Conversion: CD>EAC>WAV>MKW>SHNv3 by Dan Carr 9/10/02

01. Carolina
02. Sleep*
03. Beyond My Grasp*
04. Possum
05. Blue and Lonesome**
06. Freebird