Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What BAD album made you appreciate they're last one more?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-17-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't you hate when that happens?

I was listening to MeShell Ndegeocello's album "BITTER"(1999) tonite and I remembered how I didn't like it when it came out. But her last CD "COOKIE" was such a crap CD, "BITTER" started growing on me and I actually starting to appreciate it.

What group did that to you?
Old 05-17-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Funny you mention MeShell. My friend and I were running down her album list the other night because we are big fans of her. To me Bitter is my favorite from her...just exceptional song writing and execution. While I don't think Cookie is crap, it is definitey not her best. Did you get the impression that the songs on Cookie were the songs not good enough to make it on Peace Beyond Passion (much like the Chaos & Disorder album from Prince)?

Anyway for me I guess it would have to be Manic Moonlight by King's X. By far their weakest and made me appreciate Bulbous more...which was an album I was disinterested in for a long time.
Old 05-17-03, 12:43 AM

I bought the Real McCoy's sophmore album and it stunk. Only one song I liked unfortunately. But after listening to the group's debut CD I started appreciating it more.
Old 05-17-03, 12:47 AM

Basically every Metallica album after ...And Justice For All. Makes me appreciate those first four albums more and more, though it kinda makes me sad too...oh well.
Old 05-17-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by palebluedot
Funny you mention MeShell. My friend and I were running down her album list the other night because we are big fans of her. To me Bitter is my favorite from her...just exceptional song writing and execution. While I don't think Cookie is crap, it is definitey not her best. Did you get the impression that the songs on Cookie were the songs not good enough to make it on Peace Beyond Passion (much like the Chaos & Disorder album from Prince)? Anyway for me I guess it would have to be Manic Moonlight by King's X. By far their weakest and made me appreciate Bulbous more...which was an album I was disinterested in for a long time.

Wow you and I have almost the same tastes in music. MeShell/King's X. Iguess we both like Gay Black singers who buck the norm

At the time, "BITTER" just didn't grab me. I think those of us who where attracted to her for her Bass playing and catchy song hooks felt let down by it. However, "COOKIE" was all over the place and featured lotsa "flotsam and Jetsom" .

"PEACE" was awesome! But I'm not familiar Prince's album.
Old 05-17-03, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Easily my first thought was U2 "Pop" and "All That You Can't Leave Behind". "Pop" is an unmitigated masterpiece compared to ATYCLB. To this day I'm stunned when Edge calls it their best recording.
Old 05-17-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Wow you and I have almost the same tastes in music. MeShell/King's X. Iguess we both like Gay Black singers who buck the norm
I didn't quite think of it that way. I would have said we must just like good music!

Actually it was her bass playing that drew me towards her because I have played bass myself for over 15 years now. She is very good and very tasteful on the bass and she is just sick live...amazing. I think I like Bitter so much because Wendy & Lisa were involved in the album and their mark is all over it.

Prince's album was the last one he did for WB to get out of his contract and it was just songs that never made it on to other albums he did in the past...just kind of thrown together. That is how I felt about Cookie....thrown to gether with songs that didn't make it on to Peace or Plantation...it has that feel to me anyway.
Old 05-17-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Marilyn Manson's "Golden Age of Grotesque" was so bad IMO, that it makes me enjoy "Holywood" more, when I wasn't thrilled about it in the first place.
Old 05-17-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Red Hot Chili Peppers "By The Way". Hell, it even made me appreciate "One Hot Minute" even more (which I never thought was as bad as most people said it was).