DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Anyone pick up Cold's new disc today? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/292220-anyone-pick-up-colds-new-disc-today.html)

Deftones 05-13-03 04:41 PM

Anyone pick up Cold's new disc today?

Year of the Spider

Thoughts? Comments?

I like it, but not as much as their 1st or 2nd disc. I've followed these guys since the release day of their 1st disc, and I'm glad to see they are getting some airtime. Some good stuff on the disc, some OK stuff. For $8.99 at Best Buy w/ the DVD is too good a deal to pass up if you are fan of these guys at all.

MJKTool 05-13-03 04:46 PM

I've heard of this band, but never actually heard their music. Who would say they sound like?

Deftones 05-13-03 05:59 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
I've heard of this band, but never actually heard their music. Who would say they sound like?
Kind of a bit like Staind. That's probably the closest mainstream thing I can compare them too. Check out their first two discs and see if you like them. Their first mainstream release is amazing, while their 2nd is pretty good too. If you want to check out some of their music, go to www.coldonline.com and click on Extras.

MJK, I know we have similar tastes in music, so I'd imagine you'd like them.

MJKTool 05-13-03 06:10 PM

Thanks, I'll definetly check them out :up:

db27 05-13-03 10:26 PM

I've had this for a couple of months (got from Universal Rep) and I would say its pretty good. Not as good as "13 ways to bleed on stage" but better than the one before that imo.

This one is a little more radio friendly which could help them.

I would agree they are similar to Staind but mostly vocally, musically they are between Staind and Bush imo.

SCSIMan 05-14-03 11:12 AM

For $8.99 at Best Buy w/ the DVD is too good a deal to pass up if you are fan of these guys at all.
Yeah, I agree, I picked it up for the same price. Not bad at all, considering I had to go hunt it down in the "C" section of CD area because they hadn't put the CD out in the New Release section yet and the price tag on it was 14.99.

Their first mainstream release is amazing, while their 2nd is pretty good too.
I totally agree, Cold's self titled is by far their best. 13 Ways is also good, but felt them slipping a little.

As for this new one, I actually like it alot. I listened to it three times the whole way through yesterday. The first listening I hated it, which is a good sign with me because I usually hate all the CDs I grow to love.

I hated Undertow and Lateralus if you can believe it! :)

Definitely give Cold a shot. And check out Wasted Years of their new one, definitely the best track.

SCSIMan

Todd Parker 05-14-03 12:18 PM

I bought their last CD on Amazon.com marketplace used for $2.25. I immediately sold it on Half.com, if that tells you anything.

mdc3000 05-14-03 04:28 PM

I am enjoying the album... I wasn't a huge fan of their last album, thought it was decent.... this one is more mainstream and radio friendly but I like it... sometimes the vocalist really sounds like Aaron Lewis from Staind... the dvd ain't half bad either for the price of the set ...

MATT

db27 05-19-03 11:28 PM

After, some further listening this is becoming a regular in the CD player.

I love the second song "suffocate" with that chick doing some vocals, wow! I also thing that "wasted years" could do quite well on the radio.

MJKTool 05-19-03 11:31 PM

Originally posted by db27
After, some further listening this is becoming a regular in the CD player.

I love the second song "suffocate" with that chick doing some vocals, wow! I also thing that "wasted years" could do quite well on the radio.

Yes! Suffocate might be my favorite on this album. This singer has a pretty damn good voice. Definetly my most played cd right now.

Deftones 05-19-03 11:32 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Yes! Suffocate might be my favorite on this album. This singer has a pretty damn good voice. Definetly my most played cd right now.

Ahahaah, I told you that you'd like them! :D

Suffocate and the secret track are my favs. A bit of trivia, Stupid Girl was co-written by Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. :)

MJKTool 05-19-03 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Deftones
Ahahaah, I told you that you'd like them! :D

Suffocate and the secret track are my favs. A bit of trivia, Stupid Girl was co-written by Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. :)

I could have sworn I saw the dude from Weezer on the DVD that came with Cold's album. I guess I was wasnt seeing things! :D

SCSIMan 05-20-03 12:44 PM

Suffocate just might be my last favorite track. :) I just recieved Apocalyptica's new CD, which I had to import from Canadian Amazon. I have a feeling Cold might be leaving the CD player for awhile.

SCSIMan

db27 05-20-03 01:46 PM

Originally posted by SCSIMan
Suffocate just might be my last favorite track. :) I just recieved Apocalyptica's new CD, which I had to import from Canadian Amazon. I have a feeling Cold might be leaving the CD player for awhile.

SCSIMan

Off topic, but is that new Apocalyptica disc originals or covers?

SCSIMan 05-20-03 03:07 PM

Off topic, but is that new Apocalyptica disc originals or covers?
All originals. 7-8 of the tracks have Dave Lambardo on drums. Very cool, but different then there other releases like Cult (which I think is their best). Picked it up for 20.99 USD, not bad.

SCSIMan

ike0000 05-20-03 04:45 PM

Cold-Great band. I managed to see them in March in a small club. They did a "VH1 storytellers" type of thing where he would say what each song was about. Unfortunately, they didnt play long at all, like 40-45 mins tops. I think he had a throat problem at the time. I have been listening to the new CD for quite some time now and think its pretty good. ( It was leaked on the Internet near the end of March). I liked their first 2 cd's also. They have definitely gotten more radio friendly.......