Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Liz Phair's new song sounds exactly like Avril Lavigne

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-12-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't believe this is the same person who put out one of my all time favorite albums Exile in Guyville. Her new song sounds exactly like Complicated by Avril Lavigne. It's uncanny. She's even dressing like her. Isn't she like 30 something?
Old 05-12-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was discussing Liz Phair with a friend of mine recently, and it was his opinion that she was trying to turn herself into an adult alternative singer. I guess the polar opposite was true...
Old 05-12-03, 02:54 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Where did you hear new Liz? She's supposed to release bits of 3 tracks on her website, but hasn't yet. I'm think I'll finally be able to see her live next month in Austin, she's doing an opening acoustic set for the Flaming Lips.
Old 05-12-03, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Her new song sounds exactly like Complicated by Avril Lavigne.
That would be the production crew shared by both artists... Yes, Liz Phair's music is now produced by the same people behind Avril :-/
Old 05-12-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I cliked on a link on the Windows Media Player that was supposed to play the new Radiohead. It started playing that song and I thought it was Avril Lavigne. I can't believe Liz Phair sold out to this extent. Does she have a debt she needs to repay to a loan shark or something?
Old 05-12-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't judge the album on that song. While not nearly her strongest album...it still has some good Liz style rockers on it.
Old 05-12-03, 07:48 PM

From Rolling Stone.com:

Phair has been writing and recording with producers including Walt Vincent, Michael Penn and pop production team the Matrix (Avril Lavigne, Nick Carter), and reports that theme-wise "a lot of the songs have to do with my own personal gender issues." Phair plans to release some alternate mixes of the Happy Tragic Thing tunes over the Internet, keeping the straight-ahead rockers for the album. "The songs that made it onto the album are the ones that rock," she says. "I wanna sell some records, goddammit!"

So it seems the sound on Why Can't I (on Windows media.com) is most likely a re-mix. Especially since it is described as "the acoustic love song "Why Can't I?" " in the same article.

Can't wait for this one.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 05-12-03 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-12-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm ready to hear some new stuff by Liz. Hoping for the best.
Old 05-13-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

wow. speechless.

i read the stuff here about jewel's new song being too pop and completely agreed that it was a parody, sounded great, and that the rest of the album needed to be listened to before deciding.

i figured this was more of the same.

i was wrong. i never thought that liz phair would sound like avril, but she does in the same way kelly clarkson and miss independent sounds exactly like christina.

i like the song, i like avril myself and i'm totally ok with pop. but jeez.

it's like having bruce springsteen doing a song written and arranged by those swedish guys who write britney's stuff. it just wouldn't be right.

i hope liz sells a bazillion albums and then makes another "liz phair" cd.
Old 05-13-03, 12:06 PM

You can hear the single at http://lizphair.com/music.html

It's one thing to change your style, to change your music, even if it means glamming it up or improving the production value. But when an artist cynically creates something solely to sell albums, it sucks, especially when it's coming from someone who used to have some integrity.

Liz moved to LA too early.
Old 05-13-03, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Listening to the new track now (thanks for the link).

One thought:

If the 1993 Liz Phair heard this, she'd kick the 2003 Liz Phair's ass.
Old 05-13-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
Not as atrocious as I was expecting, but it definitely has a lot of studio polish and "poppishness" to it.

Still looks hot, pushing forty.

But I can't say I'm disappointed, as I don't think she's done anything worthwhile since Exile in Guyville.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-13-03 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pushing 40 and dressing like a 14 year old school girl. I'm wondering if the CD will come with a disclaimer that reads:

Note: This album has been deliberately artistically compromised to sell as many records as possible. Though this may fit in with the mass market concept of entertainment, Liz Phair once had a soul but now that too is for sale to the highest bidder.
Old 05-13-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe this is the same person who rocked out on Supernova.

She is still hot, though.
Old 05-13-03, 04:40 PM

I can't completely blame her. I've heard the whole album and while it does have 4 Matrix-produced radio-friendly songs, it also has a lot of classic, typical Liz.

There have been quotes from her discussing about how she kept getting the same reaction to her music with the business/radio types: "Art piece. Might as well hang it on the wall because you can't do anything else with it."

She said she wanted to finally make a record that kids in the Midwest can turn up and rock out to in their cars. And maybe be a little shocked when they actually listen to all the lyrics.

I can understand how people might call this selling out. But she made a conscious decision to try and get on the radio, because lately it seems even serious artists have to produce at least a semi-hit if they still want to have a record deal.
Old 05-26-03, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Virex
Listening to the new track now (thanks for the link).

One thought:

If the 1993 Liz Phair heard this, she'd kick the 2003 Liz Phair's ass.
Just an update:

I've scored some tickets and backstage passes to a couple of the shows Liz is gonna be doing with the Flaming Lips in a couple of weeks, and I'm seeking advice on whether or not I should kick 2003 Liz Phair's ass for her new sound, on behalf of 1993 Liz Phair.

Suggestions?
Old 05-26-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts
Let's see :
Appearance in Apple Commercial next to De La Soul and Lil Kim : $12, 500
Background singer in Sheryl Crow's Last Album : $10,000
Last shread of credibility and Eternal Soul : Priceless
Old 05-26-03, 10:23 PM

Liz ended up singing background vocals on Soak Up The Sun because she and Sheryl were recording in the same studio, and Sheryl came outside to see who was making a lot of noise playing basketball...and it was Liz ;-)
Old 05-26-03, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Decker
Let's see :
Appearance in Apple Commercial next to De La Soul and Lil Kim : $12, 500
Background singer in Sheryl Crow's Last Album : $10,000
Last shread of credibility and Eternal Soul : Priceless
You left out the theme song she did for some "one-season and done" sitcom a few years ago. Don't even remember the show. . .
Old 05-26-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone remember the sitcom? This sounds vaguely familiar.
Old 05-27-03, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Anyone remember the sitcom? This sounds vaguely familiar.
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip.../oldnews5.html

10-26-00: LIZ PHAIR SINGS A TELEVISION THEME SONG
Liz Phair sings the theme song to the NBC television sitcom Cursed, which stars Steven Weber and airs Thursdays at 8:30 PM Eastern / Pacific Time. The song is titled "Misfortune", a jazzy tune, written, arranged, and performed by Liz.
So, "Misfortune" was the name of Liz's theme song for "Cursed".

Somehow, that's all very appropriate.
Old 05-28-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
I don't understand all the Liz bashing. I don't know about you, but I work to make money. And to get ahead. It must suck for indie artists who continue to put out great music only to have it ignored. Besides the critics, Liz's audience was limited in size. Somebody, somewhere, must've thought she was worth a wider shot. She's still the same Liz (the lyrics have not lost their bite). The songs just have more sheen.
Old 05-28-03, 09:21 AM

Geez..can't wait to see what you guys think when you actually hear the entire CD.

It's always amusing to see people calling musicians/actors/artists etc. sellouts when they make a change that's not to their liking. If you don't like the music, that's one thing but to personally attack someone none of you know (or likely never will) is kinda lame IMO.

I've like all the stuff Liz has put out and will certainly give the new stuff a listen. If I like it, well then that's great. If I don't that doesn't make her less of a person because of that.

If you applied that same logic to real life, then would you be a sellout or lose your integrity by not taking a better job for more money when the opporotunity came up? If so I sold out a looong time ago and have a nice home, car and lifestyle to show for it!
Old 05-28-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by SmackDaddy
Geez..can't wait to see what you guys think when you actually hear the entire CD.

It's always amusing to see people calling musicians/actors/artists etc. sellouts when they make a change that's not to their liking.
Agreed. I also want to expand on another point:

People use the term sellout too loosely

A musician is only a "sellout" when their change in direction is against their will, when it's by record execs' orders despite the artist's objections.

However, if the change is the artist's decision (their tastes change too, ya know - they're human) then there is no sellout or lack of credibility claim to be made.

"Sure we sell out…every seat, every time we play" -- Metallica, when asked if they 'sold out'
Old 05-28-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally posted by SmackDaddy
I've had it for about a month now. And like I said, it's a slicker Liz. But Liz just the same. I'm definitely digging it.

Daytripper, Lizbian forever

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.