DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Kelly Osbourne [shut up] ditched from label (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/291131-kelly-osbourne-%5Bshut-up%5D-ditched-label.html)

Michael T Hudson 05-08-03 12:29 PM

Kelly Osbourne Ditched from Label

Outspoken singer Kelly Osbourne has been silenced by her bosses - she's been dropped by her record company Epic. The 18-year-old daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, has reportedly been released from her contract after her debut album Shut Up sold fewer than 150,000 copies. A source tells American magazine Us Weekly, "Sharon is p***ed," explaining that Kelly's rocker dad Ozzy has been with Epic for more than 20 years. The timing was also a shock, adds the source, who explains, "Kelly was nearly done recording her second album when they pulled the plug."

das Monkey 05-08-03 12:44 PM

Re: Kelly Osbourne Ditched from Label

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth BigDaddy •<HR SIZE=1>"Sharon is p***ed," explaining that Kelly's rocker dad Ozzy has been with Epic for more than 20 years<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh oh ... does this mean she's going to stop pimping his lifeless carcass around the country? Say it ain't so, Joe.

das

nodeerforamonth 05-08-03 12:59 PM

That sucks. Her CD was actually pretty good! I was pleasantly surprised!

I wonder how many people who've been ripping on it have actually heard it!

Numanoid 05-08-03 01:18 PM

I wonder how many people who have heard it actually bought it.

Groucho 05-08-03 01:23 PM

blah blah blah blah blah

MJKTool 05-08-03 01:31 PM

Is there a source for this news?

Ergyu 05-08-03 01:47 PM

Her show here in portland was cancelled a while back because of poor ticket sales. I'm not surprised at all. I didn't realize it sold SO little though.

Canis Firebrand 05-08-03 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Kelly Osbourne Ditched from Label

"Sharon is p***ed," explaining that Kelly's rocker dad Ozzy has been with Epic for more than 20 years."

So, just because her Dad is Ozzy and has been with Epic for 20 years, Epic should just continue to keep Kelly on and let her make and release cds even if no one is buying? :rolleyes:

Isn't it about time for the whole Osbourne family to disappear?

cdollaz 05-08-03 02:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Kelly Osbourne Ditched from Label

Originally posted by Vryce

Isn't it about time for the whole Osbourne family to disappear?

Yes. Except for Ozzy. His last album was one of his best.

chanster 05-08-03 03:27 PM

BTW: The Ozz man just quit Epic. Makes you wonder why.

mordecai 05-08-03 04:19 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Is there a source for this news?
http://us.imdb.com/PeopleNews/#8 (this link won't work by tomorrow, though)

Dubya 05-08-03 04:39 PM

I can't believe Epic would cut one of it's most promising young talents :rolleyes:

conscience 05-08-03 07:11 PM

SHUT UP!

Giantrobo 05-08-03 07:32 PM

I'd hit it...

cerial442 05-08-03 10:45 PM

I am surprised it took as long as it did for her to get dropped.

Rocky_Stallone 05-09-03 05:54 AM

from MTV.com

No, rock's first family aren't packing up and moving out of their Beverly Hills abode. It's the search for a new label home for Kelly and Ozzy that has the clan pounding the pavement.

Both father and daughter are leaving Sony Music, according to an Osbournes spokesperson. Although Kelly has only been with Sony subsidiary Epic since releasing her debut, Shut Up!, in late November, Ozzy has had a home at Sony Music for decades, since first going solo in 1980 with Blizzard of Ozz, released by the now defunct Jet imprint.

The reason for the split is contentious, at least in the world of weekly magazines. The Osbournes camp claims the decision to move was amicable and is tied to January's departure of chairman and CEO Tommy Mottola, who oversaw all things Osbourne for years (see "Mariah's Ex, Sony Chairman Tommy Mottola Steps Down").

"No one's done anything wrong," Sharon Osbourne told People magazine in its current issue. "After all this time you get used to each other, so it's no longer exciting when a new album is turned in. We want that excitement back."

Perhaps proof that the two sides parted on good terms, Jack Osbourne still holds his position in Epic's A&R department.

People's newsstand rival Us Weekly cites a different reason for the separation: poor album sales. Kelly's debut album has sold fewer than 150,000 copies, according to SoundScan.

The Us story also claims that Kelly was nearly done recording her second album, something an Osbournes spokesperson denies. She will, however, appear in an upcoming movie.

A spokesperson for Epic had no comment.

Low sales in copies of her album isn't the reason Kelly's leaving her label.

The main reason why she's quitting the label is that the Osbournes are moving...AGAIN!!!!....and Ozzy and Kelly both are going to find a new label since they will be living far away from Sony studios.

Kelly didn't get fired from the label, she just quit since her family is moving.

Even though I agree that Kelly's music is absolutely horrible, I'm sure she will get signed no matter what label she goes to even though her singing and music sucks. Why? Because she is Ozzy's daughter. Any label would sign her even though her music is bad. :rolleyes:

LiquidSky 05-09-03 07:36 AM

Originally posted by conscience
SHUT UP!
I fully agree. That spoiled brat needs to go away.

fuzzbox 05-09-03 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone

Perhaps proof that the two sides parted on good terms, Jack Osbourne still holds his position in Epic's A&R department.
Boy, I can't wait to see how long this lasts. That kid has his job for NO other reason than his daddy was at Epic. They probably haven't gotten rid of him yet because he can't take phone calls in rehab ;-)

-jason

Jason 05-09-03 09:02 AM

Re: Kelly Osbourne Ditched from Label

A source tells American magazine Us Weekly,
"Sharon is p***ed," explaining that Kelly's rocker dad Ozzy has been with Epic for more than 20 years.
But Ozzy making money for Epic for over 20 years is the only reason this vanity project was released in the first place.

The main reason why she's quitting the label is that the Osbournes are moving...AGAIN!!!!....and Ozzy and Kelly both are going to find a new label since they will be living far away from Sony studios.
This makes little sense. Physical proximity to the label's offices means absolutely nothing. Many acts record in studios all over the world, and I'm sure either the Osbornes or the label's representatives can travel when face to face business needs to be conducted.

cerial442 05-09-03 09:22 AM

Even though I agree that Kelly's music is absolutely horrible, I'm sure she will get signed no matter what label she goes to even though her singing and music sucks. Why? Because she is Ozzy's daughter. Any label would sign her even though her music is bad. :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt it man. Look at all the press she got for this album, hell they devoted the second season of the Osbournes around this album, and it still sold really low. I really doubt a record label would sign her after that.

Alyoshka 05-09-03 09:53 AM

Originally posted by cerial442
I seriously doubt it man. Look at all the press she got for this album, hell they devoted the second season of the Osbournes around this album, and it still sold really low. I really doubt a record label would sign her after that.
Yeah, papa don't get you a record contract...for long.

Rocky_Stallone 05-09-03 03:52 PM

Originally posted by cerial442
Yeah, that's the sad thing about the music industry, the labels will sign any singer if they are a daughter or son of a huge legend.

The only reason Lisa Marie Presley got signed a contract is because of her father as well, I bet she can't even really sing and not even write her own songs.

bigjim25 05-09-03 05:44 PM

From www.billboard.com Ozzy, Kelly Osbourne Splitting Sony

Ozzy and Kelly Osbourne are in the midst of leaving Sony Music, with whom the hard rock family has been associated since 1980. "We've had 23 great years together," family matriarch/manager Sharon Osbourne said in a statement. "We've shared many great successes, but sometimes you have to search out fresh blood to get fresh ideas, which is a philosophy that every record company, especially Sony, understands."

However, one member of the Osbournes is remaining in the Sony camp, as Ozzy's son Jack will stay on as a talent scout for Epic. Although further details were not immediately available, the statement says Sharon and Sony mutually agreed that Kelly would leave Sony after CEO Tommy Mottola resigned in January. Kelly's 2002 Epic debut, "Shut Up," debuted at No. 1 on Billboard's Heatseekers chart and has sold 147,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Ozzy Osbourne has spent his entire post-Black Sabbath solo career on Epic, which last year reissued a host of his albums. His final studio set for the label, 2001's "Down to Earth," has sold 879,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. Since SoundScan began tabulating sales in 1991, Osbourne has sold 13.5 million albums.

The 2003 edition of the Ozzy-headlined Ozzfest tour kicks off June 28 in San Antonio. Kelly Osbourne is scheduled to open select European dates for Robbie Williams this summer.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

pantala 05-09-03 06:43 PM

The only reason Lisa Marie Presley got signed a contract is because of her father as well, I bet she can't even really sing and not even write her own songs.

I'm not here to talk about Kelly Osbourne, but I had to comment on this post here. It really bugs me that you would make a statement like this, when you in the same sentence admit that you have not even heard the album. You bet she can't sing, and you bet she didn't write her own songs? I won't defend her singing (although I have certainly heard worse), but I will say that she shares writing credits for these songs.

Does your favorite artist write all their own songs? Have they ever shared a writing credit with somebody else? I'll make my own bet here on YES.

William Fuld 05-09-03 06:57 PM

Kelly didn't get fired from the label, she just quit since her family is moving.
You're joking, right?