Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kelly Clarkson - applied for 30 MINUTES

Old 05-05-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kelly Clarkson - applied for 30 MINUTES

Kelly Clarkson, the first American Idol, scored a #1 hit last year with “A Moment Like This,” written and produced by American Idol’s host and creator Simon. She won the contest and achieved a chart-topping single that leaped from outside the Top 20 to the Number One position and remained at the summit for three impressive weeks. After that, I figured her 15 Minutes were up.

Alas, no. Last week, her debut album, “Thankful,” entered the Billboard Top 200 Album chart at Number One, and this week dropped two positions to #3. Not for nothing, but I can understand how her album could have debuted at the top of the charts – she’s an American Idol, right, so she does have fans. But for the album to have enough staying power to remain in the Top 3 after the second week is astounding. Typically, an artist will have a great first week, but will find sales weaken drastically after the second and an album that was once in the Top 10 will find itself in the Top 30, and will only continue to plummet until it is gone.

We’ll see what Week 3 brings for Kelly Clarkson. And that brings up another topic: Diva Status. I’ll bet that Kelly Rowlands of Destiny’s Child is steaming mad because she figured she’s the most popular Kelly around, and she would soon be able to drop her last name and become a Diva! But now that Kelly Clarkson is extremely popular, it won’t happen.
Old 05-05-03, 06:09 PM
Banned

This week's charts have started to be counted and Kelly is at #2 behind 50 cent ( www.hitsdailydouble.com ) :

LAST UPDATE: 05/05/2003 14:13:33
NOW IN: 55.92%

LW TW artist / album label power index
2 1 50 CENT SHADY/AM/INTERSCOPE 60,128
GET RICH OR DIE TRYIN'
3 2 KELLY CLARKSON RCA 56,270
THANKFUL
4 3 LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 55,481
METEORA
6 4 EVANESCENCE WIND-UP 55,386
FALLEN
-- 5 AMERICAN IDOL SEASON 2 RCA 54,631

The website who does these charts is about 90 % correct.

Her album isn't the best album of the year but I find it pretty enjoyable. She has the talent and the personality to do well in the music business and she will never forget where she is from ( Unlike J-Lo, Britney, XTina, etc ).

In the next 2 weeks she will probably stay in the top 3 since there are no major releases and she'll do a lot of promotion during that time ( TRL, Letterman, Craig Kilborn, etc ). There's even some rumors that she will be on the Las Vegas Diva's Live special 2003.
Old 05-05-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd post my thoughts about the album here, but after the last Kelly Clarkson discussion thread was rudely deleted by its creator, I guess it's not worth the effort.

das
Old 05-05-03, 06:18 PM
Banned

Have you listened to the entire album ? If not don't post your thoughts ! I deleted my Kelly Clarkson thread because some immature people ( Not you Das Monkey ) couldn't say anything else than words like ' poop '...
Old 05-06-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
So...if one were to have listened to the entire album and decided that it was "poop", that's not acceptable?

I'm just asking since I can't read the thread to see the drama for myself..

BTW...thanks for the site mcbg1. At my old job we used to get this trade mag..pretty informative.
Old 05-06-03, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth mcbg1 •
Have you listened to the entire album ? If not don't post your thoughts ! I deleted my Kelly Clarkson thread because some immature people ( Not you Das Monkey ) couldn't say anything else than words like ' poop '...

Yeah, I've listened to the whole thing. And if you were to take others at their word, so did most of the people who posted in your other thread. Just because they didn't like it doesn't mean they didn't listen to it. If your beloved Kelly is going to succeed in the music industry, she and her fans are going to have to deal with criticism. You can't be there to respond to and/or delete every negative comment, although I'm sure you're going to try.

Oh, and I agree ... thanks for the site. A bit annoying on the sounds, but informative. Good to see Evanescence working their way up the charts. I saw them in concert over the weekend, and they rocked. As you have your finger on the pulse of pop music , do you have a link with more historical data (like chart positions for the last month or year)?

das
Old 05-06-03, 07:01 AM
Banned

I know how to deal with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, some comments posted on the old thread were just immature and stupid.
Old 05-06-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth mcbg1 •
I know how to deal with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, some comments posted on the old thread were just immature and stupid.

Internet, meet mcbg1 ... mcbg1, Internet.

Were we to delete every thread that contained something immature and/or stupid, you'd be staring at tumbleweeds. However, one could argue that forcibly deleting the comments of others who don't share your love for pop music doesn't exactly rank near the top of the maturity ladder either.

das
Old 05-06-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is anybody really buying this CD?

I don't personally know anyone who has or even shows any interest in doing so.

Also have a cousin who works at a music store, and she said they haven't sold a single copy of it, despite getting several hundred shipped to the store.
Old 05-06-03, 08:44 AM

I agree with das. This forum thrives on free discussion, so deleting a thread every time it doesn't go your way accomplishes nothing. But I suppose that's a topic for Forum Feedback.

As for Kelly Clarkson, I heard the first single from the album, didn't like it, so I'll pass on picking up the CD.
Old 05-06-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She has a decent voice, the single is catchy. Haven't heard the rest. I'm glad to see that she isn't a cookie cutter pop star like Christina and Britney though.
Old 05-06-03, 10:59 AM
Banned

You know guys, I can understand some of you might not like pop music ( her album as a whole isn`t bubble-gum pop though ), just stop bashing her.
She`s a sweet and very talented gal and she deserves all the best in the music business. She isn`t manufactured for sure, she isn`t under the strings of the american idol people believe me ( I`ve talked with her and her best friends directly about it ).
Anyway, just be open-minded and it`s ok if you don`t like her, just respect her.

`Miss Independent` isn`t the best choice to represent the album but it`s a great catchy song who shows people she can sing upbeat songs and not only ballads.
Old 05-06-03, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by db27
She has a decent voice, the single is catchy. Haven't heard the rest. I'm glad to see that she isn't a cookie cutter pop star like Christina and Britney though.
It should be noted that her first single was co-written by Christina.
Old 05-06-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by mcbg1
Anyway, just be open-minded and it`s ok if you don`t like her, just respect her.
Respect her?

Now I really wish you didn't delete that thread...my curiousity is peaked..
Old 05-06-03, 11:17 AM
Banned

the thing is that it was written in parts by Christina Aguilera and when there wasn`t enough room for it on her album, it was passed to Kelly. Kelly finished writing the lyrics and didn`t know it was co-written by Christina Aguilera until the song was recorded and put on the final album. She isn`t trying to be the next Xtine or britney. Her whole album is pretty good and not something a pre-manufactured pop star would do, she`s a great artist and for a first album it`s pretty good. On her next cd she will probably write all the songs and have even more input so it should be even better.
Old 05-06-03, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rogue588
Respect her?

Now I really wish you didn't delete that thread...my curiousity is peaked..
I deleted the previous threads because a lot of immature comments were made on it. Some people really didn`t say comments on the album but bashed her and called her stupid names. Anyway everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect that. I like her album, some of you don`t, it`s as simple as that.
Old 05-06-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
It should be noted that her first single was co-written by Christina.
A Moment Like This was co-written by Christina Aguilera? Wow, I thought Simon from the show wrote and produced it.

Kudos to Aguilera, if this is the case. In addition to her #1 hits as a performer, she also has co-written a #1 hit for another performer. In my book, that's huge.
Old 05-06-03, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Buttmunker
A Moment Like This was co-written by Christina Aguilera? Wow, I thought Simon from the show wrote and produced it.
I'm a bonehead. I meant to say the first single from the new album ("Miss Independent"). I don't know who wrote "A Moment Like This."
Old 05-06-03, 11:52 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Groucho
I don't know who wrote "A Moment Like This."
I think it was written by that hack Diane Warren. Yet another boring love song with no soul.
Old 05-06-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by evenflowddt
I think it was written by that hack Diane Warren. Yet another boring love song with no soul.
Diane Warren may be a lot of things, but a hack isn't one of them. Her songs date back to 1983 when El DeBarge scored a #5 hit with Rhythm of the Night.

I'd say Diane Warren sold her soul to the Devil for the amount of success and longevity she's had. Of course, it is unconfirmed that Ms Warren wrote A Moment Like This, but her last #1 single was I Don't Want To Miss A Thing by Aerosmith in 1998. She may have written more hits since then, but I wouldn't know how to reference it.
Old 05-06-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Is anybody really buying this CD?

I don't personally know anyone who has or even shows any interest in doing so.

Also have a cousin who works at a music store, and she said they haven't sold a single copy of it, despite getting several hundred shipped to the store.
I too am interested in who is actually buying this album. I would have thought sales would plummet after the first week. I don't know anyone who has bought this album and it isn't exactly selling like hotcakes at online stores (currently 15 at amazon).
Old 05-06-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

mcbg1, it's clear that you have appointed yourself protector of all things Kelly (and that's fine, I'm honestly not mocking that). Whether you're her friend or a friend of a friend or just a good old fashion stalker, your feelings are strong, and that's fine too. But you would be wrong to equate criticism of her album and the songs performed on American Idol with disrespect of her as a person. She hasn't paraded in public like a whore or cavorted around town in the arms of some hollow boyband star. She hasn't tried to force a political agenda on the public or done anything significant to make me (and likely anyone else) dislike her as an individual.

The fact that some think her album is poop is as valid an opinion as yours that she is a great artist. She is trying to succeed in the most superficial business in the most hollow of genres ... criticism is natural, and if she wants to get better, she'd be wise to listen to more of it than you seem to been willing to do.

Anyway, don't confuse criticism of her work as attacking her as a person. As for respecting her, I don't know her ... she has done nothing to earn my respect or disrespect. Writing her own album, however, is a good start. While it's nowhere near as strong as Aguilera's, she has a very nice voice, and if she can stay away from cookie-cutter bubble-gum pop, she could have a very nice career.

das
Old 05-06-03, 01:05 PM
Banned

Das Monkey, I know what you mean, I don`t think people criticizing her work are attacking her personally but in the old thread before I deleted it, some people attacked her personally ( whore, ****, etc ) and I thought it was inappropriate so I deleted the thread.

As far as Kelly herself, she has spent thousands of dollar last christmas to buy gifts for underprivileged kids and she went visit a lot of sick kids at the hospital. In her hometown of Burleston Texas, when her album was released, she gave a concert and signed autograph for 6 hours straight with a little 15 minutes break ( her manager and stuff wanted her to leave after 1-2 hours but she insisted to stay until she signed an autograph for everybody in line ). She`s even in the process of setting up a scholarship fund for kids who can`t affor higher education. I just think she deserves a lot more respect for that. Her album is pop oriented but coming from the winner of a pop contest, it was kind of expected. It isn`t bubble-gum pop though and she got to work a lot on it so I think it`s a sign of better things to come from her and I`m sure her second album will be excellent. Her first album isn`t the best of the year but I support it because without success, she might not have a second chance to work on another album ( which I doubt will happen anyway )

Anyway that`s what I had to say and I hope some of you will take that into consideration. I have no problem with the fact that some people don`t like her or her work.

Last edited by mcbg1; 05-06-03 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-06-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fair enough.

das

P.S. OM..
Old 05-06-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So where do we find a website that lists a songwriter's credits? I really want to know if Diane Warren wrote A Moment Like This.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.