Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What band/artist do you regret not seeing live when you had the chance?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-01-03, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to be Jeff Buckley for me. I was living in Dallas and heard that he was playing over the weekend at a small club in Memphis called Barristers. I couldn't take time off from work and decided that it would be too much driving to go from Dallas to Memphis and back in a weekend...so I didn't go. He drowned shortly after

Since then I've flown across the country twice just to see shows...
Old 05-01-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, thats a huge one!

Mine would be Megadeth. I missed em so many times now theyre broken up.

Also the Doors. Of course this is the new doors without Jim so I wasnt that dissapointed. Tickets were expensive as hell though, and I just didnt have the cash.
Old 05-01-03, 02:47 PM

XTC and the Police in 1980 or '81. It was the Police's first full tour of america (supporting Reggatta de Blanc, I think). It was a the Masonic Temple in Detroit. I didn't like either band that much at the time. I'm still kicking myself for that blown opportunity.
Old 05-01-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In high school, I went on a ski trip instead of seeing Nirvana. I also regret turning down several opportunities to see the Grateful Dead.
Old 05-01-03, 02:56 PM

I regret never seeing Nirvana.
Old 05-01-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Passed up Squeeze and the English Beat double bill

The Who, THe Clash, and Santana
Old 05-01-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
I never got to see Iron Maiden in their prime, and I know I would have greatly enjoyed that.

The one show I really regret missing was last summer's Aerosmith/Kid Rock/Run DMC show. I would have loved to have seen Run DMC, and now I never will.
Old 05-01-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Smiths, dammit.

Now, you've gone and spoilt my whole day by bringing that sore subject back up.

Oh, and I'm still kicking myself for not seeing the Dead and the Police when I had the chances. And I even sold tix for Dead shows at the record store I was working in at the time . . .

dammit, dammit, dammit
Old 05-01-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Magma had a very rare and brief tour in the U.S. in 1999 (their first in about 30 years). If only I had been fans of them before

Peter Gabriel continues to make me due to the high ticket prices. I'd like to send a message to him and his concert promoters: don't be like Streisand, U2, The Boss and all the other bloated arena-rockers, please.
Old 05-01-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Megadeth with Iced Earth opening (Megadeth's last tour)
Anthrax (when they still had the original singer)
I'm sure I'll think of others
Old 05-01-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 05-01-03, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I was a big Sublime fan in college and they were playing about 75 miles away where my girlfriend at the time went to school. I was underage, didn't go. A couple of months later Bradley died.

The lesson: get a fake ID and go see your favorite band before one of the members ODs.
Old 05-02-03, 02:29 AM

Skinny Puppy
Old 05-02-03, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LilacWine, it's a shame you missed Buckley. Right after his EP came out he was playing solo in a coffee house/bar here in Atlanta... was that '94? I knew very little about him, but was tipped off to check it out. There weren't more than 20 people in that room... just sitting on sofas and chilling out. He came out in this fur coat and then stood there belting out his songs. I was grinning the whole time because there are times you just KNOW you are witnessing something very special. I can get bored watching a person play without a backing band, but not that time.

I regret not going to many concerts. I passed up U2's "Unforgettable Fire" tour so I could study for an exam. Dumb move. I saw REM in '83 and then not again until '87. During all those years between I could have seen them many times and didn't. Dumb move. When I was 18 my father offered me and my sister tickets to two concerts of our choice for free that summer ('83). We chose the Stray Cats and Men at Work and passed on Elvis Costello and Peter Gabriel. Dumb move!

And I really do regret never seeing the Smiths when I could have.
Old 05-02-03, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Stevie Ray Vaughan used to play a couple of concerts in HI for most of his tours (which seemed like almost every year) and i always meant on going to one, but for some reason or another, never did. When The Vaughan Bros.: Family Style was released, i made up my mind that this time, i was definitely going to see Jimmie & Stevie in concert... alas, it never was meant to be.
Old 05-02-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
The Smiths, dammit.

Now, you've gone and spoilt my whole day by bringing that sore subject back up.

ME TOO! (The Smiths). And I had a chance to see them. I'm still sick about it to this day. Also, the original Tears for Fears lineup during height of their popularity ("Songs From the Big Chair"). Fortunately, they are back together and I *will* see them on their next tour.
Old 05-02-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Uncle Tupelo

I waited too long to buy tix for their farewell shows at Mississippi Nights back in 1994, when I finally got around to it, they were sold out. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Old 05-02-03, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
LilacWine, it's a shame you missed Buckley. Right after his EP came out he was playing solo in a coffee house/bar here in Atlanta... was that '94? I knew very little about him, but was tipped off to check it out. There weren't more than 20 people in that room... just sitting on sofas and chilling out. He came out in this fur coat and then stood there belting out his songs. I was grinning the whole time because there are times you just KNOW you are witnessing something very special. I can get bored watching a person play without a backing band, but not that time.
Yes, I do feel like it was a huge loss to have missed him. So many people who saw him live describe it the same way... they KNEW they were seeing something special and that his presence was almost unreal. Glad you got to see him
Old 05-02-03, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by gilbertr76
Skinny Puppy
You still might have a chance. They are back together.
Old 05-02-03, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by zak52
You still might have a chance. They are back together.
I know.
Old 05-02-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nirvana
RATM
NIN(still might have a chance)
Alice'In'Chains
Old 05-02-03, 05:23 PM

Portishead
Nirvana
Pixies
Uncle Tupelo
Old 05-02-03, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Guns N' Roses, Soundgarden & Alice In Chains
Old 05-02-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts
Alot of these bands I've seen.

I saw Nirvana about 4 months before Kurt blew his brains out. It was one of their last performances ever.

I've seen Rage several times, ho hum. I never did like them too much.

I've seen Soundgarden multiple times too. They usually put on a good show, even though I was never a huge fan.

I saw Megadeth a couple of times also. I wasn't a big fan, but I'd usually go with my brother. They played alot here in AZ since they all lived here.

My biggest regret was for not seeing Alice In Chains live. It wasn't my fault, though. They were slotted to open for Metallica in the mid-90's. Something happened to Layne (drug related, suprise suprise) and they had to drop out of the tour. Damn it if they never toured again after that. I'm still pissed at that bastard for getting into drugs and dying.
Old 05-03-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tops would probably be Pink Floyd
Followed by:
Pixies
RATM
Nirvana

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.