Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Meat Loaf - Couldn't Have Said it Better

Old 05-01-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Meat Loaf - Couldn't Have Said it Better

I'm well aware that Meat Loaf fans (at least in America) try very hard to hide this fact from ... well ... everyone. Liking Meat Loaf isn't too far from Milli Vanilli on the embarrassment scale. So, if it helps, the excuse you can use for listening to this album and posting in this thread is "morbid curiosity."

Anyway, out of "morbid curiosity," I have been periodically listening to his first studio album in 7 years, and I really don't know what to think of it. Each song was written by a different artist, and as such, it's kind of a jumbled mess.

The album opens the title track in perfect Meat Loaf form with the following lyric:

... And you said nothing at all
Well, I couldn't have said it better myself
It's a long, loud, and energetic duet with Patti Russo, and is precisely what you'd expect from a Meat Loaf song, complete with silly puns and emotional power. "Did I Say That?" (the first single) comes next and is much of the same thing: loud, fast, silly puns. There's also a fun song called "Testify" which is kind of a gospel/southern rock mix, complete with clapping and choir backgrounds. On the negative side, the album trails off with some pretty hollow ballads, including a nice vapid number from Diane Warren. Overall, I guess it isn't too bad ... you know ... if you like this sort of thing.

Anyone else heard it or have any thoughts?

das

P.S. Ironically, there's a song called "Love You Out Loud," which could be the anthem for Meat Loaf fans everywhere:

Wish I could love you out loud,
But I just keep it to myself.
Old 05-01-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well i have not really heard his other albums..but am not ashamed to say that Bat Out of Hell is a masterpiece

So i would'nt really feel bad for liking his other stuff as well.
Old 05-01-03, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

His name is Robert Paulson.
His name is Robert Paulson.

(Havn't heard the new album)
Old 05-01-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

to me he will always be Eddie.
Old 05-08-03, 10:29 AM

I like Meat Loaf. No problem admitting it.

- Matt
Old 05-08-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth MatthewCho
I like Meat Loaf. No problem admitting it.

- Matt

Holy thread-resurrection, Batman ...

*points and laughs*

HE FELL FOR IT!!!

das

Nah, it's cool ... have you heard the album?
Old 05-08-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Meat Loaf in movies... like him.

Meat Loaf on record. I'd rather suffer a death of 1,000 plagues.
Old 05-08-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

His "Bat Out of Hell" album was a masterpiece, a "must-have" of 70s music.

I remember buying the album shortly after it came out. The guy I was with made sure to ask the clerk if he could return it if his mom wouldn't let him keep it since it had the word "hell" in the title (we were in 5th grade). I picked it up on 8-track. It was several years later when I realized what "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" was really talking about, and the significance of the baseball part (that was Phil Rizuto incidentally, the famous Yankees announcer).

I never really listened to any of his other albums, though I know they all didn't do too good.
Old 05-08-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meat's the perfect candidate for a Greatest Hits album, which is probably why there are like 20 different one from over the years. Aside from 'Bat Out of Hell' (and 'II'), his other albums have one or two good songs, and then the rest is just painful filler. 'Dead Ringer' wasn't a bad album, but as a follow-up to 'Bat Out of Hell', I'm sure everyone hated it. 'Midnight at the Lost and Found' and 'Bad Attitude' each have entertaining enough title tracks, but the rest of the album is ass. 'Blind Before I Stop' actually had some tracks on it that I like, and "Rock 'N' Roll Mercenaries" is pretty kickass as a live song, but again, the album is nothing special. We all remember 'Bat Out of Hell II' which dominated VH1 for a good year or more. I liked most of it, especially as a return to Steinman's Wagnerian musical theater stuff. The follow-up, 'Welcome to the Neighborhood' was OK I guess but weak in comparison. Overall, Meat probably should have just slept through the 80s.

Anyone who's interested should pick up one of the Greatest Hits albums that isn't dominated by 'Bat Out of Hell' material (because you should own that already if you care anything about music). There are some good songs mixed in among the dreck that never seemed to get much airplay. I keep hoping that he and Steinman can hook up for just one more album, but it appears more unlikely with every year ... you can hear on this upcoming release that Meat's voice just isn't all there anymore.

das
Old 05-08-03, 12:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

I do not own one disc by ML although, years ago, I think I once got a compilation of his and Bonnie Tyler's stuff for my dad!

From what I can make out Mr Loaf is a very hardworking man who will always go the extra mile. When interviewed on British TV he has usually come across as a witty guy; not too wrapped up in his own self-importance.

That said, he appears to be much diminshed without Jim Steinman behind him, composing.... hence the Milli Vanilli reference?

The latest UK Classic Rock magazine panned the album but commented that he was probably fed up of waiting for Steinman to write something for him. I wonder if this is a reverse of the situation when perhaps Meat Loaf was unable to sing and Steinman recorded "Bad for Good" himself rather than continue waiting for his vocalist.
Old 05-08-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You really have to wonder how things would have turned out had Meat been able to record 'Bad for Good'. It's a pretty good album, but Steinman's vocals ... well ... suck. The two need to stop their worlds and make the final one before they lose the chance. Stop dicking around with silly Andrew Lloyd Weber musicals, and make 'Bat Out of Hell III'.

I'm guessing the album you bought your father was 'Meat Loaf & Friends'?

Ran across this, btw: http://www.undercover.com.au/news/20..._meatloaf.html

das
Old 05-08-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
Meat's the perfect candidate for a Greatest Hits album, which is probably why there are like 20 different one from over the years. Aside from 'Bat Out of Hell' (and 'II'), his other albums have one or two good songs, and then the rest is just painful filler. 'Dead Ringer' wasn't a bad album, but as a follow-up to 'Bat Out of Hell', I'm sure everyone hated it. 'Midnight at the Lost and Found' and 'Bad Attitude' each have entertaining enough title tracks, but the rest of the album is ass. 'Blind Before I Stop' actually had some tracks on it that I like, and "Rock 'N' Roll Mercenaries" is pretty kickass as a live song, but again, the album is nothing special. We all remember 'Bat Out of Hell II' which dominated VH1 for a good year or more. I liked most of it, especially as a return to Steinman's Wagnerian musical theater stuff. The follow-up, 'Welcome to the Neighborhood' was OK I guess but weak in comparison. Overall, Meat probably should have just slept through the 80s.

Anyone who's interested should pick up one of the Greatest Hits albums that isn't dominated by 'Bat Out of Hell' material (because you should own that already if you care anything about music). There are some good songs mixed in among the dreck that never seemed to get much airplay. I keep hoping that he and Steinman can hook up for just one more album, but it appears more unlikely with every year ... you can hear on this upcoming release that Meat's voice just isn't all there anymore.

das
That's an awful lot of "morbid curiosity".
Old 05-08-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Numanoid
That's an awful lot of "morbid curiosity".

Until Deez Nutz TV goes on the air, I have lots of free time.

das
Old 05-08-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
As has been stated here, Bat Out Of Hell isa CLASSIC, essential album..

Unfortunately, it seems Steinman & Meat might be getting together to do "Bat Out Of Hell III". I read this somewhere but I can't find the article anymore..

I'll keep looking and post if I do...
Old 05-08-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Giantrobo
to me he will always be Eddie.
Nah...
He will forever be known as bitch tits.
Old 05-08-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Rogue588
Unfortunately, it seems Steinman & Meat might be getting together to do "Bat Out Of Hell III".

Why "unfortunately?" If he's going to be releasing tunes, better he do it with Jim than some of the crap these other jokers write for him.

Quoth Rogue588
I read this somewhere but I can't find the article anymore..

I'll keep looking and post if I do...

Scroll up.

das
Old 05-08-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
d'oh! I missed that..[Obviously..]

I think working with Jim's a good thing...just call it sumthin' else for chrissakes..