Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Linkin Park, closet Depeche Mode fans (?)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-29-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

From May's Guitar World. Linkin Park show their love for Depeche Mode. I love it when I hear more and more bands/artists saying they are fans or influenced by them. But it kind of sounds like GW were slagging on Depeche Mode a little. Closet fan? Anyway, Linkin Park just went up several notches after I read this!

GW: Who's the closet Depeche Mode fan in the band?

Shinoda: I don't think we have any closet Depeche Mode fans! We're way out of the closet with our love for Depeche Mode. Brad got me into Depeche Mode when we first started the band. The fact that I'm really into samples is what drew me in, because Depeche Mode uses samples so brilliantly. And Brad's into their song structures. And Chester loves their lyrics. So we all love them for different reasons.

Delson: I listen to a lot of things. I really like Depeche Mode and U2. I just love the edge and his guitar playing. I also listen to a lot of hip hop-stuff that doesn't have any guitar in it at all."

GW: I guess some of that just comes from growing up in Southern California in the era when KROQ played Depeche Mode all day long.

Shionda: There are so many styles of music that are easily accessible out here in LA. You've got a lot of hip-hop and a lot of rock. You've got tons of industrial, goth, electronic, DJ and rave culture. All these things come together to make a great scene for music. "
Old 04-30-03, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. DM is my favorite band. And Linkin Park is my favorite "new" band (next to Trail of Dead). Most people either love or hate LP. I love them because they are kind of the hard rock equivalant of DM. Oh, by the way, cool name, Daytripper. The Beatles are also one of my all time favorites.
Old 04-30-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally posted by Joshua
Cool. DM is my favorite band. And Linkin Park is my favorite "new" band (next to Trail of Dead). Most people either love or hate LP. I love them because they are kind of the hard rock equivalant of DM. Oh, by the way, cool name, Daytripper. The Beatles are also one of my all time favorites.
Heh heh. Thanks. Picked the name because, well, I couldn't think of anything else at the moment But had recently watched "The Daytrippers" again (one of my favorite indie flicks) so that was kind of stuck in my head. And not that I thought of it at the time, but "Daytripper" is my favorite Beatles tune.

Incidentally, DM is my favorite band as well. A local club here in D.C. had a Depeche Mode Party this past Saturday night and it was incredible. Also, I hope you picked up Martin Gore's new solo album yesterday!