DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   One and only Apple iTunes / iPod thread [merged] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/289001-one-only-apple-itunes-ipod-thread-%5Bmerged%5D.html)

Mr. Cinema 11-09-05 06:03 PM

I just found out that iTunes doesn't support cd text. I burned a cd using it and played it in my car, but no scrolling text this time. That sux. I would've expected this to be a feature. I have Sonic's burning program and it works on that.

DJLinus 11-10-05 11:20 AM

So, I'm probably going to buy a 5G iPod in the next few days and I have a question: does iTunes download album artwork automatically (a la a CDDB type thing) or do I have to snag the pictures myself?

Also, if the pictures are downloaded automatically, about how large is each file?

Just wondering if I should start collecting pics now to save some time and/or space.

Big Boy Laroux 11-10-05 12:04 PM

you'll have to add the artwork yourself. I find that AllMusicGuide's website has the perfect size album art.

mndtrp 11-13-05 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
you'll have to add the artwork yourself. I find that AllMusicGuide's website has the perfect size album art.

In case you are having trouble finding the site: http://www.allmusic.com/

They also have very good reviews, and is where I generally go for music research and artwork.

Foole 11-13-05 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
So, I'm probably going to buy a 5G iPod in the next few days and I have a question: does iTunes download album artwork automatically (a la a CDDB type thing) or do I have to snag the pictures myself?

Also, if the pictures are downloaded automatically, about how large is each file?

Just wondering if I should start collecting pics now to save some time and/or space.

If you buy songs from the iTunes store, the album art should be included. If you rip your own CDs, you'll have to add your own artwork. I usually get mine from Amazon (you can even get oversized album art files and iTunes will show them oversized).

DJLinus 11-13-05 03:18 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. I've been going to AMG for years (I can literally spend hours there) and that's primarily where I've been snagging the artwork.

So far I'm really loving the iPod, but I have another question. Is there a way I can exclude an entire genre or artist from playing when I "shuffle songs"? I'm thinking of loading up all of my Christmas music and stand-up comedy CDs, but don't necessarily want to listen to them when I'm shuffling.

Admittedly, I haven't played around with the options enough to find an answer. Right now I'm thinking that I may just have to create a playlist with every genre except those two (although I hope I'm wrong).

Ralph Wiggum 11-13-05 04:50 PM

Have you tried the Smart Playlists yet?

DJLinus 11-14-05 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
Have you tried the Smart Playlists yet?

Does that mean my iPod becomes self-aware a la The Terminator?

Seriously, I've heard the term before, but don't know what it means. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Some other things that just popped into my head...

What kind of cases does everyone use? I really want to pick one up before I get a single scratch on my iPod and was wondering what my options are. I've done a little searching and it seems there aren't many 5G cases out just yet.

Do you put a screen protector on your iPod? I have some for my PDA and was thinking it may be worth it to use one here.

Rival11 11-15-05 09:23 AM

Would anyone recommend buying an iPOD nano (500mb) just for storing all of your own music? I don't have any urge to purchase individual tracks and I only listen to a very limited number of bands (barely have any cd's).

Would the iPOD be the way to go or should I invest in a different MP3 player that's cheaper and offers more storage for a better price?

Also, if not an ipod, can someone let me know what a good alternative player would be?

kvrdave 05-18-06 12:32 AM

Does iTunes do this?

I have been complaining that I want a few tv series to give me soundtracks and yet they refuse. So I thought, "In this day and age, surely there is a music service that compiles the music from tv shows and then lets you pay for them, nicely organized, and wrapped with a bow."

Surely there is, isn't there? Is there anyway to just get music from Scrubs or Bones, or any other show? I don't want to go compile them myself, I want them compiled and ready for me to spend money on, and then download them.

Anyone?

RoQuEr 05-18-06 12:54 AM

scrubs has at least 4 soundtracks already.

And yes there are premade playlists, but anyone can upload one, and that makes most of them crap