Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Help - I'm Addicted to 'Metropolis 2000 - Live Scenes From New York'

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't ... stop ... listening ...

I've had this for a while but didn't listen to it very much, because the main 'Scenes From a Memory' story is split over 2 discs, and that's always been annoying. But recent Dream Theater discussions around here prompted me to stop being so lazy and rip the whole thing to a single mp3 disc so I could listen to it without switching CDs. Now I have a bigger problem: I don't want to listen to anything else.

Usually when I play a CD too much, I get sick of it and file it away for later listening, but I can't get sick of this. Maybe it's because it's 3 hours long, so it's not overly repetitive. Is there an Anonymous group I can join? Am I all alone, or are there others who feel my pain?

I want to stop ... but I can't.

das
Old 04-24-03, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my experience, the only cure for this is Snow by Spock's Beard. Then, the cure for that was Porcupine Tree's In Absentia. And so on. Eventually, you'll end up back where you started, though.

My favorite track on that CD/DVD is "A Change of Seasons." Even better than the studio version, and that's saying quite a lot.
Old 04-24-03, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have both the cd and dvd. Awesome stuff.
Old 04-25-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Help - I'm Addicted to 'Metropolis 2000 - Live Scenes From New York'

Originally posted by das Monkey
[B]Can't ... stop ... listening ...

I've had this for a while but didn't listen to it very much, because the main 'Scenes From a Memory' story is split over 2 discs, and that's always been annoying./B]

Pick up the original CD. That is one disc, the entire story. Plus the booklet has the lyrics.
This cd(they are my fave band) has gotten more play than any other cd in my collection hands down. It didn't leave the cd player for over a year. The story and music is so intricate you find something new on each listen. This would be one of my "if you were stuck on and island..." cds.

Sadly the cure for this was a 15 year old cd I had never heard before. Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime. (i had awful music tastes when I was 12, go figure) but...WOW. This disc would have to be second only to Scenes from a memory.

As for the DVD, as much as I love the cd, the DVD is lacking 5.1 and I just have to laugh at the cheesy production effects everytime they come up. Mike Portnoy needs to let someone else produce this kind of thing.
Old 04-25-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, I have the original CD as well, and it's received much play over the years. I just find the Live version even more addictive.

I agree about the DVD. It's great and everything, but it's also really cheesy, and it doesn't sound all that great.

das
Old 04-25-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's your cure: